dj cameo last night in w'burg

dominic

Beast of Burden
saw dj cameo last night and was very impressed -- the music far surpassed my expectations -- perhaps because i'm a rave-ist at heart . . . . that is, there's some question as to whether dj cameo skewed his set to please American ears by playing the more dance-oriented grime stuff . . . . but whatever it was that he did, my body and ears were pleased

a few remarks:

(1) there's a lot more going on in the "treble," the higher frequencies in grime music than i had been lead to believe -- very weird, beautiful sounds -- and very intense, mad, psychedelic -- an effect that was perhaps further intensified by the poor sound system at supreme trading -- that is, the distortion of the music, especially the higher frequencies, made it even better in my opinion

(2) i realize that the grime scene is post-ecstasy, if not anti-ecstasy . . . . but as far as i'm concerned, the stuff cameo was playing was pure ecstasy music . . . . music that is best heard on ecstasy, and music that if you were on ecstasy you'd do best to hear . . . .

(3) i'd say that cameo played two basic kinds of tracks: (a) lumbering, lurching, unwieldy tracks, which struck me as inspired by "monster movie" themes, tracks that tended to be a tad heavy on the testosterone factor, and which i didn't particularly care for; and (b) wicked badman tracks, some of the funkiest, most bad ass stuff i have ever heard in my entire life, serious serious serious dance music, with blaring noise in the treble, icebergs in the bass . . . .

cameo played probably 4/5 wicked badman stuff, 1/5 "monster theme" stuff

they also had an mc from birmingham there, goes by the name of Deadly Crisis -- i think he now lives in new york -- hopefully he'll be at the next "heat" show, which will be a month's time

the "heat" crew are djs dinesh and greg poole, who in addition to grime played hip hop, crunk, r'n'b, m.i.a., reggaeton (can't say that i like reggaeton, but can see where m.i.a. -- who i love -- has made us of it) . . . . and i think dinesh was also playing dubstep (i.e., after cameo's set, not before), but not really sure as i don't really know what dubstep is . . . . but i think it had to be dubstep because it was (a) instrumental, (b) dark, (c) uptempo and techno/d'n'b influenced w/o being the one or the other . . . .

the space -- supreme trading -- was a good choice -- and i think that w'burg is the place to do these kinds of nights -- in general, younger people, more receptive people w/o "wire magazine" types

and for whatever it's worth (and, yes, it does matter), i think it helps to have black djs breaking this music in the states -- for any number of reasons -- but in general, because racially mixed scenes are the best scenes (i also prefer mixed gay/straight scenes, but i don't think it's realistic to expect a gay following for grime music)

blissblogger

hnghgh [affronted snort]

>in general, younger people, more receptive people w/o "wire magazine" types

hey, hey, Dom, there were at least two "Wire magazine types"--Wire journalists even--holding it down in the heart of the dancefloor last night!

no but serious, it was great, quite inspiring really, feels like a mini-scene is almost viable here

the distorted sound system actually made the music sound even madder, made me feel all... crunk, would be the word for it, actually.

he played so fast, hi-nrg blast, not much R&G

wished he'd played 'reload it' or 'headquarters' or 'not convinced' though

Tim F

Yr description makes sense - Cameo generally cleaves to that grime which most closely resembles 2-step garage at its raviest. This is a good thing! So is his (related) fondness for female vox. Katy Pearl's "Mr DJ" is the peak of this whole sub-movement within garage I reckon, like TJ Cases' "One By One" (was there ever a more intense, ravier vocal 2-step track) through a grime blender.

Am envious!

dominic

Beast of Burden
didn't realize you wrote for Wire Magazine!!! Had you categorized as a Village Voice/brit music magazines from the 80s type! . . . . actually, what i mean by a wire magazine type is a white male studenty type who reads a lot about music (sounds like me so far!) AND who stands motionless on the dancefloor, crowding up space, and doing nothing to add to the vibe, thereby detracting from the vibe (ummmm . . . hopefully not guilty on that point)

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Cameo is a versatile dj capable of playing all styles of not just grime, but underground garage as a whole.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
yeah Killa Cameo burned it down, super retarded. Deadly Crisis was holding it too, especially once he got warmed up. A nice crowd of enthusiastic ravers, some attractive young ladies and definitely a cool mix of black, white and all shades in between. And Greg and Dinesh were doing their thing hard too, a nice blend of stuff, I was loving all the reggaeton, dancehall and bugged hiphop (especially that new luda tune greg was caning, called potion, big!). I'm feeling very enthusiastic about the further potential of the garage thing in NYC having been there.

geeta

heh heh 'wire magazine types'!

i thought cameo was fun! that mc that was with him was kinda wack though. wish supreme trading was the mindbending raw warehouse space i'd been led to believe it was, though it was an interesting venue. favorite moment was hearing some voice...er, wiley? (fear my massive knowledge) go 'eski, eski' while watching the snow fall like mad through the glass doors...the weather fit the music to a T (or is it the other way around?)

the sound system was kinda crap, though...doomy grime with lotsa 8-bit nintendo bleeps sounds OK with distortion but if that place starts throwing house/techno events i hope they get a better setup

ripley

Glad to hear Greg and Dinesh have gotten some of the flavor back. It might take the taste away of that (Goldspot-promoted) gawdawful Benny Ill show last year that was boring house from start to finish, plus one Dizzee tune. Seemed like they lost their musical nerve for a while, and melted back into the house scene.. hope they keep it syncopated more in the 05 and keep booking killah djs.

Wish I was there for it, as well.

dominic

Beast of Burden
yeah, i listened to the show last night . . . .

cameo's w'burg set was a lot more rave-y than what he appears to play on bbc (if my ears are to be trusted)

again, to my mind nothing tops "rave" when it's the real-deal badman music, which is what cameo played in spades

dominic

Beast of Burden
also, bear in mind that when i say "rave" i'm talking about what i take to be the music's true essence, i.e., that the true basics of wicked/psychedelic dance music don't change, and that the best stuff is made by the very same people (or by their younger brothers, nephews, cousins) who brought you breakbeat house, ragga techno, jungle, etc

SR called it "so fast, hi-nrg blast" -- which is undoubtedly the proper term, not "rave"

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
What's the deal with the promotion guys? I thought Cameo was april 11th?

People from other parts of the country might want to reach for these events.

adruu

This Is It
The energy in there was pretty impressive, and yeah, trekking through the snow to get there was perfect. I'm officially hooked now. can't wait for the next one. i imagine the parties will only get better.

re: sound quality. the treble was poppin a little high. a couple of proper cabinets and the sound would have been good. i imagine on a proper system you could just physically float on the bass.

only dumb gripe, i never want to hear that "go shorty its your b-day song" ever again

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
cameo is the man behind pirate sessions on BBC 1XTRA which is at http://www.bbc.com/1xtra You need Realplayer to listen, download if you have to, its worth it. Cam is a major dan on the grime scene and has a lot of fresh tunes, dubs etc and keeps his ear to street. Really amazing to me that the BBC lets hiim do it actually.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Everyone looking for the next thing like this it will be:

Bangers and Mash and Vice Records Present:
The Run The Roads Record Release Party

featuring top boys from the UK:
JAMMER
DEE DOUBLE E
EARS

and your favorite locals:
DROP THE LIME
SHADETEK SOUND SYSTEM
MODE RAW

and in the bassment:
DEV79 and STARKEY
STAR EYES

March 11th, Rothko 116 Suffolk Street bet. Rivington and Delancey, Manhattan. 10PM $8.