Esau Mwamwaya & Radioclit mixtape

datura

white collar loafer
Has anyone checked out the ‘Very Best’ mixtape (available as a free download here http://www.greenowl.com/album/esau-mwamwaya-and-radioclit-are )?

I’ve only flicked through it but it sounds excellent – a mixture or original beats and some of the better recent instrumentals all with Esau’s distinctive singing. It’s really lively, infectious music, well worth a listen.

Some blurb:

‘Esau Mwamwaya was born in Mzuzu in Malawi, East Africa. He grew up in the capital, Lilongwe, where he played drums in various bands such as Masaka Band. He was a good friend of the legendary Evison Matafale and they played together for several years before he was killed in Malawi police custody in 2003.

In 1999 Esau Mwamwaya moved to London, England has until recently run a second-hand furniture store in Clapton, East London.

Esau's shop was on the same street as Radioclit's old studio, and after the Radioclit boy's bought a bike from Esau they invited him to one of their house warming parties They made friends and started working on music together. Two years later and the project has gotten it's name The Very Best. An album is finished (due 2009).’

datura

white collar loafer
I generally prefer the tracks with the more african sounding beats (like the first track) and the slower ones.

Trim really needs to do an album with Radioclit.

BareBones

wheezy
this is undoubtedly a naive question, but what is the name of the music on the "chikondi" track? The really lovely tune that's been raped to death by adverts and bad films?

tom lea

this is undoubtedly a naive question, but what is the name of the music on the "chikondi" track? The really lovely tune that's been raped to death by adverts and bad films?
i'm guessing it's the one from true romance -- just google 'true romance theme'. i can't remember who it is, but that's how i found it.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Fantastic vocals, pretty flawless beat selection. Thought it dragged in a couple spots but even when it did his voice pulled it through. Second the preference for the more African parts over the indie stuff, though the Radioclit guys did fine work mixing the two and making the latter more palatable. I also appreciate their restraint; it seems like a lot of these types of projects either go for wink wink Diplo-style novelty or worse just degenerate into a muddy wash of global bass (thought DJ/rupture's latest suffered a little from this) and they were able to avoid both pitfalls.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Trim really needs to do an album with Radioclit.

Seriously. If was only half as good as that bonkers remix of "Notorious" then it would still be totally amazing.

Oh, and one more thing on the Very Best - fucking "Dinosaur On the Ark"!! Strong contender for my track of the year.