Bill 696

Octopus?

"The British government is apparently proposing to further complicate the already prohibitive music licenses with the 696 form:

"The 696 Form compels licensees who wish to hold live music events in 21 London Boroughs to report to the police the names, addresses, aliases and telephone numbers of performers, and most worryingly, the likely ethnicity of their audience. Failure to comply could result in fines or imprisonment. We believe this places unnecessary and frankly Orwellian powers in the hands of the Metropolitan Police, an institution which does not have the best record of racial fairness. The 696 form can only serve to deter the staging of live musical events - a positive form of activity in London and all cities - stifle free expression and quite possible penalise certain genres of music and ethnic audiences. It is an intrusion too far."

Any UK citizens or expats who are as appalled as I am by the idea should sign this:
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Scrapthe696/"

Wow. Honestly?

Met racism shocker!
Who'da thought it?

Seriously, how many millions signed anti-Iraq-war petitions?
The govt. don't pay any attention whatsoever to petitions.

Write to your MP or GLA representative.
It's easy, go here:
http://www.writetothem.com/

You could also ask your MP why the govt. is giving taxpayers' money to bankers (so they can pay themselves big bonuses whilst refusing to lend to small businesses) and at the same time threatening to withdraw benefits from more single mothers, carers and other unemployed people.....

Logan

Grime Guru
You have to fill in all of that information anyway. But it is good that this issue has finally been brought to the public's attention because it is fucking disgusting.

Transpontine

history is made at night
I've posted on this before at my blog. The actual Met Police form is here. There doesn't seem to be a reference to the ethnicity of the crowd (maybe they've modified it because of the row) but there's some code in there, e.g. the types of music they give as examples are bashment, r'n'b and garage!

john eden

male pale and stale
as logan says most of this is not new, and it especially won't be new to most dissensians i expect, but that's hardly the point:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/jan/21/police-form-696-garage-music

hang tight woofah for publishing the original piece way back when, sorry they cut my reference to it :(

nice work Dan - the main thing is getting the message out there. (Woofah might get another mention in the Guardian soon anyway, shameless media whores that we are...)

mos dan

fact music
(Woofah might get another mention in the Guardian soon anyway, shameless media whores that we are...)

good stuff! i heard you and paul and droid are guest-editing the today programme too? and presenting a celebrity edition of come dine with me? arf

unclerico

there may be some racism involved in this but in some cases the actual grime performers themselves are involved in all kinds of criminal activity. meridian crew and crazy titch are two that have recently been at the forefront of my mind due to the wiley and goodz war and having watched the documentary about the meridian crew where that guy got shot.

guess i'm saying its not just about race - look at the content of grime and the values it promotes as well as the antics of some of its stars. i'm not arguing that the police aren't racist just that the other side of this argument is that grime events, for example, probably do attract dodgy people (as well as perfectly sound people of course)

its worth questioning this beyond the immediate assumption that it's racism and nothing else

there may be some racism involved in this but in some cases the actual grime performers themselves are involved in all kinds of criminal activity. meridian crew and crazy titch are two that have recently been at the forefront of my mind due to the wiley and goodz war and having watched the documentary about the meridian crew where that guy got shot.

guess i'm saying its not just about race - look at the content of grime and the values it promotes as well as the antics of some of its stars. i'm not arguing that the police aren't racist just that the other side of this argument is that grime events, for example, probably do attract dodgy people (as well as perfectly sound people of course)

its worth questioning this beyond the immediate assumption that it's racism and nothing else

Exceptions rather than the rule though mate. Do we go through every musical genre and because there's a couple of criminal records, ban them from performing?

john eden

male pale and stale

Nobody is saying that all grime artists are angels but I fail to see how it is effective policing to put pressure on grime events because of this. In fact it is completely counterproductive because it means people are less likely to make a living off music.

"Dodgy people" congregating to listen to and perform music isn't a crime the last time I checked. If it was then the police wouldn't be arsing about behind the scenes with these forms.

mos dan

fact music
Nobody is saying that all grime artists are angels but I fail to see how it is effective policing to put pressure on grime events because of this. In fact it is completely counterproductive because it means people are less likely to make a living off music.

"Dodgy people" congregating to listen to and perform music isn't a crime the last time I checked. If it was then the police wouldn't be arsing about behind the scenes with these forms.

i heard a rumour that pete doherty and amy winehouse take drugs n all. i'm sure it's nothing.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

It's also worth seriously considering that it is just that (mixed in with class prejudices, of course).

No-one seemed to close down Glastonbury (to choose something random and largely white) for drug-taking/petty theft/violence, did they?

Double standards, simple as. I've been to a few grime raves when the police have deigned to allow them to happen in central-ish London, and never seen anything out of the ordinary.

Elijah

Butterz
ive seen someone shot dead in a rave
ive seen people get literally kicked the shit out off
ive seen people do lines in the toilet
ive seen people ransack bars
ive seen people totally off their face drunk.

Never seen anything like this in a grime rave.

In the last 4 or 5 years were i have been going out I cant recall one SERIOUS incident. Obviously sometimes the hype gets a bit over the top, but not to the point were the event cannot continue or gunshots are flying

Grime is one of those genres now were people only go if they like the music.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I've posted on this before at my blog. The actual Met Police form is here. There doesn't seem to be a reference to the ethnicity of the crowd (maybe they've modified it because of the row) but there's some code in there, e.g. the types of music they give as examples are bashment, r'n'b and garage!

That form is just asking to be made into a flyer for a squat rave. Begging on its knees for it, in fact.

mms

sometimes
i djed in a posh central london club for a film premier last year and written on the dj both was no bashment, hip hop or garage, if you played it you'd get kicked out....
i have no idea why they had that policy but gven westminster councils banning of garage events i imagine clubs in that area work with cops on music policies already..

this is just an extension of risk assesment policies the cops already do.