Going Taqwacore ...

zhao

there are no accidents
crazy! why not fiction to reality? why must it always be the other way round? what are other instances where this has happened? e.g. real life culture springing from a book or film?

sort of wish the author had used dubstep instead of rock though -- these kids can prolly give Shackleton a go for his money (so to speak)

john eden

male pale and stale
Interesting stuff - I hadn't heard about the book but was familiar with the term because of reading up on Sean Penn (not Madonna's ex) the main guy behind ultra-straight-edgers Vegan Reich. (see stuff on crucial youth etc on the uncarved blog)

Interestingly I also came across a full colour glossy magazine in my newsagents all about muslim hip hop a few months ago...

STN

sou'wester
Fiction based on truth usually ends up feeding back into truth.

on another note, does anyone remember that geezer from Fun-da-mental and Southern Death Cult (who admittedly seems a bit of a knob) saying 'Islam is my punk rock'? I remember thinking that was interesting and for some reason it seemed to have a bit more to it than saying any old thing was your punk rock.

john eden

male pale and stale
Fiction based on truth usually ends up feeding back into truth.

on another note, does anyone remember that geezer from Fun-da-mental and Southern Death Cult (who admittedly seems a bit of a knob) saying 'Islam is my punk rock'? I remember thinking that was interesting and for some reason it seemed to have a bit more to it than saying any old thing was your punk rock.

Aki Nawaz? (sp?)

Got in trouble last year (this year?) about his album which included a track with lyrics trying to get inside the mind of a suicide bomber, I think. I reckon he is worth having a look at but the music has never really done it for me (any recommendations welcome tho).

I find Rootsman in Bradford quite interesting - someone who is active in reggae and has moved from UK Dub (I think he was part of Iration steppas at one point?) to clashing with dancehall sounds. Also a muslim - and I think a former punk as well.

vimothy

yurp
Nice one for that, John. Really cool read.

One thing that never understood was how come the UK hardline were all such fat bearded bastards?

I remember being pretty intrigued with some of the bands, mostly because of the terrorist-chic and the total Slayer worship that seemed to go with it. The fucking zines were painfully tedious, though.

john eden

male pale and stale
Nice one for that, John. Really cool read.

One thing that never understood was how come the UK hardline were all such fat bearded bastards?

I remember being pretty intrigued with some of the bands, mostly because of the terrorist-chic and the total Slayer worship that seemed to go with it. The fucking zines were painfully tedious, though.

Glad you like it - I never knew much about the UK hardline stuff, there was an anarchopunk band called Statement (actually one guy I think) who became increasingly weird in his pronouncements and ended up being really anti-abortion and judgemental about non-vegans and stuff and I think he was on the periphery of that stuff.

It seemed very marginal, even compared to the various strains of punk and hardcore and anarchism/animal rights and whatnot.

So any insights welcome - perhaps this is another example of evil-beardism? ;)

vimothy

yurp
Glad you like it - I never knew much about the UK hardline stuff, there was an anarchopunk band called Statement (actually one guy I think) who became increasingly weird in his pronouncements and ended up being really anti-abortion and judgemental about non-vegans and stuff and I think he was on the periphery of that stuff.

That would be Rat, later of Unborn, which was started, IIRC, by the guy who did How We Rock zine and ex members of Ironside. All of whom were pretty dire, but a good time was had by all, nevertheless. Actually, the really fascistic loons were the best of all -- Withdrawn & Blood Green in the UK; Day of Suffering, Birthright and Abnegation in the US. Tossers make better music? Not exactly insightful, I know...

I've probably still got some hardline zines knocking about. If you're interested in seeing lots of pictures of aborted foetuses and smoking monkeys, I might be persuaded to scan them. Probably not though.

vimothy

yurp
Statement+prepare+for+battle+shirt.jpg

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
is this the first time an author has single handedly spawned a subculture? it's the only example i can think of since gibson coined "cyberpunk" (1984) - it seems like every cultural movement since at least punk has spread globally over time. punk had more life in japan in the past decade than anywhere else. this article served as a much needed reminder: i need to move to Buffalo, NY and study under Steve McCaffery (or Penn!). Nothing remotely like this in Atlanta.

not quite the same thing but punk and garage have caught on in south america (i would guess this is nothing new, but i'm not sure): http://www.nobrainszine.com/specials9.htm

you also see the good side of punk come out of this:

As part of the set, a Muslim punk rock musician, Marwan Kamel, 23, painted “Osama McDonald,” a figure with Osama bin Laden’s face atop Ronald McDonald’s body. Mr. Kamel said the painting was a protest against imperialism by American corporations and against Wahhabism, the strictest form of Islam.

zines???

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
not quite the same thing but punk and garage have caught on in south america (i would guess this is nothing new, but i'm not sure): http://www.nobrainszine.com/specials9.htm

I've heard that all things psychedelic are very popular in South America but this may not be true.

One thing I do know, however, is that Mexicans love them some Cure. Really any music run through a heavy chorus effect works.

You would not believe how many latinos have goth punk ringtones, esp in SoCal.

polystyle

is this the first time an author has single handedly spawned a subculture? it's the only example i can think of since gibson coined "cyberpunk" (1984) - it seems like every cultural movement since at least punk has spread globally over time. punk had more life in japan in the past decade than anywhere else. this article served as a much needed reminder: i need to move to Buffalo, NY and study under Steve McCaffery (or Penn!). Nothing remotely like this in Atlanta.

Well, one can guess there were Muslim kids of a 'punk', skunky or otherwise unholy mode around before this book was out there.
And far as I know, Gibson coined 'cyberspace' in '84 but 'cyberpunk' was tagged by critics to describe a few writers that became seen by most as a tribe.
At that time there were many 'cyber' threads growing in many levels of subculture,
WG was sponge and then became the magnet, as if he actually thought of them first.
Also have to say , one has to go and really check out Japanese 'punk' and see if one thinks their version' of '1977' UK or NY punk has anything really to do with the original mode -style -emotions.
I mean hey, Tokyo's kids be stylin' in their way and might even be angry about something,
but it's along way from the original thing or representing things 'punk' in 2009.
Re: Buffalo - you should go up North and check it first, helluva cold place !
Cheers