Stewart Home discussing the Avant Garde on the Today programme

Bettysnake

twisted pony ******
Anyone else catch this?

A somewhat flummoxed Evan Davies talking to Stewart Home, Hari Kunzru and some other bloke about the avant garde....

Stewart Home was showing off about his popularity in Finland but was spot on about the importance of social relations to avant garde culture.

Check Kunzru's guide to the artistic underground on the Today site.

john eden

male pale and stale
Ooh I missed that, so thanks for the link Betty.

Pretty cool stuff I think. Tom McCarthy of the International Necronautical Society was the other one. All good people.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Pretty cool stuff I think. Tom McCarthy of the International Necronautical Society was the other one"
I read his Remainder book a month or two ago and it was one of the best novels I've read for ages - certainly the best modern one.

nochexxx

harco pronting
thanks for the link.

did anyone else feel slightly vexed at stuart home's remark about art culture not holding much weight unless it is tied to a community? i suppose he does have a point but i can't help but feel my loyalties lie with many outsider artists. and i do hold a particularly natural disdain towards scenes hogging up so much media space.

perhaps i've misinterpreted its original context?

john eden

male pale and stale
Stewart has written about his appearance here:

http://stewarthomesociety.org/blog/?p=1

and does feel he was edited unfairly compared to the other participants.

I agree with his comments about communities tho.

I don't really believe in "outsiders" any more, either - I think it's another con.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I heard this, it was very amusing. I thought Stewart was edited quite well, in that his principle point was that he liked watching kung fu movies - which is a very Stewart thing to say!

nochexxx

harco pronting
I don't really believe in "outsiders" any more, either - I think it's another con.

I agree with his comments about communities tho.
fair enough. subject for another thread perhaps.

i'd like to point out i was using the term 'outsider' to describe artists who are out there on their own, knowing what they were producing, moving the goalposts before said 'communities' get a whiff. not the naive idiot savants that produce raw art.

surely these first formative steps hold more importance? i can however sadly believe that it does takes a majority collective for it to be recognised and therefore placed inside the history books.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
avant-gardes versus mainstreams, the bourgeois, blahblahblahtransgressions,assimilationandsoonandonandon...ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz