Music by children

TeN

Does anyone know of any albums of music made by young children?
Not child prodigies. I'm talking about kids just having a good old time banging on whatever they can find, making the rules up as they go along.

This is the only one I know of:

I'm sure there music be more out there, no?

john eden

male pale and stale
There is this:

Which I heard about in some interview with an industrial music bloke - who typically seemed to be getting off on the freakshow aspect of it all whilst simultaneously denying that and saying it was just good music, maaaaan.

Interesting parallels with improv here? In that kids make music every day but its rarely recorded and even more rarely released?

zhao

there are no accidents
tangerine awkestra looks pretty cool! how did you come across that? interesting to think about in context of improv theory... in a way the relative tabula rasa of these young players' minds is ideal, but in another... not so much.

i attended an improv show with a 9 year old recently and she enjoyed it very much. during intermission we had our own vocal noise jam session for over 5 minutes which was pretty great. not a dull moment, going through a compositional arc, and drawing to a natural conclusion. she intuitively understood listening to eachother, call and response, and other dynamics and readily applied them. probably should have been recorded.

pajbre

there's also kindermusik, which is kids (babies) free-improvising on prepared/specially tuned instruments. sounds a bit like the thai elephant orchestra. liner notes written by EYE of the boredoms.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
no one remembers Old Skull? haven't listened to it since i was their age but hey.

there's this baltimore, MD band that is comprised of children but i can't recall their name

and i was record shopping with a friend not too long ago----i urged him to buy this folkways record that was music by children----it was song-based stuff, as i remember.

TeN

Interesting parallels with improv here? In that kids make music every day but its rarely recorded and even more rarely released?
Oh definitely! On a similar note, I was attempting to find a book of children's artwork, but I don't think anything like it exists. It's amazing that considering the enormous influence children's artwork has had on modern art (Picasso, Klee, Dada, the primitivists, Dubuffet, etc), it's not often taken seriously. Why is that there are dozens of books available showcasing so called "outsider art," but that art by children, all of whom possess the "outsider" perspective and lack of refined technique attributed to those artists, is ignored? I've been thinking about publishing that book myself.

zhao - I found that album because someone posted a similar topic to this one on another forum, which is what inspired me to start this one.
Well... that, and the fact that on Christmas Eve my mom had a party, and my little cousins were up in my attic banging on my drums and pounding on my guitar and squeeling into the microphones and stuff. At one point it sounded like an honest to god no wave band! Needless to say, I prefered to spent most of the night in the attic watching them and playing with them than with the boring, stuffy adults downstairs.
At one point, my cousin Tommy brought his mom upstairs to show him what he was doing. She asked him "Tommy, do you want to be a rock star when you grow up?" and he says "I am a rock star right now!" and then asks her to play guitar with him while he plays drums. She tells him "i don't know how to play guitar," and he says, "I'll show you," walks over the guitar, and leaving it propped up against a couch, starts to strum the strings at random with his entire hand and hit them with his palm. "There. That's how you play it."

baboon - Oddly enough, The Shaggs TOTALLY fit my criteria. Even if they are a little bit older than the age range I was looking for, they still have that combination of not knowing the "right" way to play their instruments, and yet being confident that they can make music.

Old Skull rules! Not exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for but still great:

To add some of my own links:
http://www.discogs.com/release/1411440
http://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/thuunderboy.html

tartablanca

capped
at one point, my cousin tommy brought his mom upstairs to show him what he was doing. She asked him "tommy, do you want to be a rock star when you grow up?" and he says "i am a rock star right now!" and then asks her to play guitar with him while he plays drums. She tells him "i don't know how to play guitar," and he says, "i'll show you," walks over the guitar, and leaving it propped up against a couch, starts to strum the strings at random with his entire hand and hit them with his palm. "there. That's how you play it."

So good.

petergunn

plywood violin
There is this:

Which I heard about in some interview with an industrial music bloke - who typically seemed to be getting off on the freakshow aspect of it all whilst simultaneously denying that and saying it was just good music, maaaaan.

i used to have Kids of Widney High on CD... lent it out 8 years ago, yet i can still not get the chorus of "Insects" out of my head... but, i mean, those aren't "kids", they're retarded teenagers, it's kind of different than Music By Children...

for me, specifally a lot of kiddie funk stuff pops in my head... J5 for one... i mean, Michael was a kid... he was like 10 or 11 when he recorded this:
(a cover of S. Wonder's "don't know why i love you") and the emotional depth and real techical mastery displayed in his vocals is jawdropping... (but i guess that is the opposite of what you are looking for...)

tons of similar stuff, none quite as genius as MJ and most w/ adult session players...

spoonbread- "i'm the one" is a great J5 rip off...

Lucky Peterson put out his first record at 5 and still does the blues circuits today...

Lucky_Peterson-Our_Future.JPG

there are a few CD somps of this stuff,it has it's charm...

i can dig it more so than the indie rock versions that have popped up i the last 10-15 yars formed by Hoboken hip parent types... oh so grating...

Kate Mossad

There's a couple of tracks made by school children on a Daphne Oram collection that came out a few years ago. Don't have the details to hand at the moment but I remember them being pretty good.

Details: Daphne Oram - Oramics, "4 mini compositions that resulted from an experimental music course given by Oram at a high school in Yorkshire in 1967"

http://www.stalk.net/paradigm/pd21.html

Last edited:

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Russian noise/goonery label Monopolka put out a CD(R?) comp a few years back called "Extreme Music From Children"...a skit on the Whitehouse "Extreme Music From..." series. I thought it might be loaded up online, but I can't find it....they have some equally wild comps up online if you follow titles from Discogs outwards though...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Nancy Dupree did some great work with kids, like this homage to James Brown, hiphop heads get your samplers on, cos there's a few killers in here

continuum

smugpolice
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>