Radio Shows You Have Loved

luka

the a-team on kool. jinx on kool. brockie and dett on kool. mampy and navigator on kool. gilles peterson on kiss. westwood's ny rap exchange with funkmaster flex sponsered by Lugz on Capital. max and dave on kiss. joey jay on kiss. bobo el numero uno. norman jay on GLR. randy c on raw mish. nasty crew on de ja. roll deep on rinse. ruff squad on de ja. supreeme team on magic. heartless on mission. fatal on de ja for years. tamo d on klymaxx. some revival djs from the reggae stations whose names i can't remember. i'll come back to this....

zhao

there are no accidents
in the US used to love lots of college radio type stuff, first time i heard Gamelan was on one a them in Irvine of all places, and also first time i heard dub reggae.

and i used to love Joe Frank the spoken word artist... used to look forward to it every sunday. not sure how well they would hold up today though.

Itchy & Scratchy

Used to listen to Turntable Radio on Resonance FM from 2002-'03 'til it went off the air. I discovered a few years ago that the show came back again but I never made the effort to start listening to it again.

luka

when i lived in auckland i liked stinky jim and p money with sir vere too.

reeltoreel

^^^

Stinky Jim's Round Trip Mars label has a few good things. He's certainly a good radio man.

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

Nu Brand Flexx on de ja.

i really like Scratcha's breakfast show on rinse as well.

oh, and So Solid Kids on Delight FM (Battersea pirate station); they used to do a phone-in bit where kids would MC down the phone!

pirate radio is so much more professional these day, and something's been lost...really not keen on that 'De Ja Vu...the SOUND of the STREETS' thing all over 92.4...

gumdrops

obv rinse shows like ruff sqwad, roll deep, newhams, slimzee etc but going back a bit, 279 on choice back in the mid 90s (altho i revisited an old tape of this lately and some of those tunes havent aged that well and the banter is no where near as funny as i thought it was at the time), westwood on capital, old gilles peterson shows, used to like kiss fm when it went legal - steve jackson with street boy was funny, and gordon mac used to be good. various pirates playing old school R&B/soul/rare groove and reggae whose names i dont know the name of i have loved dearly.

tom lea

obv rinse shows like ruff sqwad, roll deep, newhams
obvious sure, but the fact those three were all one night for a while was mental. i used to try to avoid going out on sunday nights like the plague. if i did then i spent half the evening wondering what new ruff sqwad tunes i was missing.

gumdrops

yeah i wished i taped more of those shows week in week out but for some reason i never thought theyd actually stop.

also, darkside riddim shows on rinse. was listening to one in the car the other day and it almost made me have an accident.

pirate radio is so much more professional these day, and something's been lost...really not keen on that 'De Ja Vu...the SOUND of the STREETS' thing all over 92.4...

At least you can pick it up!

Bar the obvious grime picks, my formative years up North were mostly shaped by John Halliwell- the broadest scouse accent, used to play really oddball dub and NY rap from the 80s from 2 till 6. I'll try and dig out a tape, it was just surreal.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Mike Read's R1 breakfast show '81, there was such great tunes around. I'm sure I ought to have come up with something better though :confused:

john eden

male pale and stale
when i lived in auckland i liked stinky jim and p money with sir vere too.

Jim is now blogging, looks like there are details of how to listen online as well:
http://stinkinc.blogspot.com/

For me there are so many...

Tony Blackburn's show for kids on Radio 1 in the mornings at the weekend (late 70s?)

Annie Nightingale on Sunday nights R1 after the chart rundown (early 80s)

Janice Long on before Peel, Peel (with headphones on under the covers, bed moved towards the stereo with finger hovering over the pause button (mid 80s)

Random pirates (never got my head round the schedules. Pulse FM used to be great for jungle in Finsbury Park). (mid 90s)

I remember quite liking Mark and Lard, and also Mary Ann Hobbes when she started out in the mid 90s also.

Rodigan on Kiss, Sunday nights. (Late 90s ->)

Easy to forget, these days, how much of big deal radio was - a bit like libraries.

luka

oh shit pulse! pulse was the first station i fell in love with. nicky blackmarket on pulse was too much!

Ach!

Turd on the Run
First pirate I ever listened to was Pulse, I'm 99% sure of that.

Got to agree with Luka about Max'n'Dave and Joey Jay on Kiss. Add Manasseh to that list, and Colin Dale's Abstrakt Dance/Outer Limits, Colin Faver, the rotating DJs on the Jungle show too.

Jinx on Kool on a Sunday morning was nice to wake up to - I think he might still do that slot. Trace & RymeTyme we're vital during the spring/summer of 95, and I liked Tonic and RemerDee.

luka

yeah tonic and rememdee and dj ash always seemed like a friendly character.
also a fella by the name of jesse james who has a killer reggae collection. i made quite a few tapes of his shows.

tom lea

Rodigan on Kiss, Sunday nights. (Late 90s ->)
on a level, i used to catch rodigan sometimes when i was about 12, and i thought he was such a fucking tool. obviously i can appreciate him now (and as is the case with every 12 year old, my taste in music wasn't much to shout about) but i used to think he was the most ridiculous idiot back then.