rjdj.me

Alfons

Way of the future
Basically an app for the iphone allowing users to make music in real time. Their video explains it better than I ever could:

http://rjdj.me/what/

pretty cool stuff. Reactive music is an interesting concept, not entirely new I guess but current technology might make it more ubiquitous. Maybe not gonna create new masterpieces but might make people interact with music in a different way.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
interesting. you could write this kinda stuff off as a gimic, except it's on such a massive platform as an iphone, which opens the possibilities up...

straight

wings cru
my brother had a fantastic generative synth app in his iphone at xmas which aped the reactive control surface dan bell uses on stage with bjork. has anyone done a dj app? a mate of mine was doing a traktor syle interface for blackberry last year but i think it stalled

Alfons

Way of the future
my brother had a fantastic generative synth app in his iphone at xmas which aped the reactive control surface dan bell uses on stage with bjork. has anyone done a dj app? a mate of mine was doing a traktor syle interface for blackberry last year but i think it stalled

Mark Bell not Dan ;)

thought people would have had more to say about stuff like this. A way to take electronic music live? Pure gimmicks? Think all this accelerometer stuff and things like the wii open up interesting options for live performance and for improv.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
thought people would have had more to say about stuff like this.

the things i've used- moocow stuff mainly- is way too laggy to be useful.

plenty of new music apps being made. this looks nice:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

but i like having a picture as wallpaper too much to un-jailbreak at present

Last edited:

Client Eastwood

Not for the Iphone but this is pretty awesome bit of kit for on the move. A full Korg synth emulator for a DS lite. I've been messing about with for a few weeks and its ace. In the right hands Im sure someone could make some pretty good stuff on it. Plus because its waveforms (not samples) you're manipulating the sounds remain clean. The Kaos Pad itself is brilliant.

Lots of stuff on Youtube . . .

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
Yeah I was considering getting a DS just to run that. It's quite nice. You get two MS-10 type synths, sequencer, effects and a drum machine using sounds you can synthesise. And you can sync up several DSs wirelessly. I think the iPhone / iPod Touch platform might have more potential in the long run though...

These guys held a competition for DS-10 music and made a mix from it. It's predictably quite acidy type stuff but there's some nice invention going on. It's from July last year so at least some of the tracks were probably made using leaked DS-10 roms flashed on to homebrew DS carts.

http://mp3death.us/diplodocus.html

Last edited:

jambo

thought people would have had more to say about stuff like this. A way to take electronic music live? Pure gimmicks? Think all this accelerometer stuff and things like the wii open up interesting options for live performance and for improv.
Peter Kim who does the Create Digital Music blog has been evangelising for all this stuff - touch screens, DIY controllers, circuit bending, open source software etc., for some time now and I'm sure it will gain in popularity but even on the comments on his blog there has been a lot of antipathy expressed. I mean, it's a bit nerdy isn't it. Most musicians just wan to play / make music, how many people are really interested in making MAX patches to interface their home built monome with their head mounted wii controller while using a multi-touch groin pad?

Alfons

Way of the future
Peter Kim who does the Create Digital Music blog has been evangelising for all this stuff - touch screens, DIY controllers, circuit bending, open source software etc., for some time now and I'm sure it will gain in popularity but even on the comments on his blog there has been a lot of antipathy expressed. I mean, it's a bit nerdy isn't it. Most musicians just wan to play / make music, how many people are really interested in making MAX patches to interface their home built monome with their head mounted wii controller while using a multi-touch groin pad?

yeah, well not saying the musician has to do everything themselves, but these are interesting ways to spice up a performance. Maybe suited to art installations type things too, audince participation stuff etc..

Pestario

tell your friends
kids today spit bars over beats played on phones
kids tomorrow, the beats are made on phones

while sitting on the 149 bus you'll hear the pulse x of the future being made in the seat behind you

:rolleyes:

jambo

Yeah true, obviously there are levels.

That rjdj thing is quite interesting, especially the scenes that modify audio from the environment.

Not much of these ideas are that new though are they, just more accessible. Kraftwerk handing out the pocket calculator to the front row, Laurie Anderson(?) using triggers on a body suit to launch samples.

Last edited: