Reynolds hardcore continuum event

heva

Wild Horses
Reynolds hardcore continuum event - WEB EXCLUSIVE

The hardcore continuum - an idea that has stretched so far it is meaningless? A failed way for olders to relate to youngers? Or a useful framework for discussing rave music in the UK? Ask Reynolds! ;)

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?p=162165#post162165

Quite excited about this event, I'm interested to hear some discussion on whether its time for this theory to be put to bed or whether it will just mutate forever so that every new genre can fit inside... Its nice to bring Simon over and have this discussion in person. Make the trip to Liverpool, lids!

(edited 28/01/09)

As a lead up to the event, The Wire is featuring an online exclusive where Simon pulls from the archives 7 articles about then-emerging 'hardcore continuum' genres, with a new introduction.

Check out the introduction here:

http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/2009/

and the first one from 92:

http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/2012/

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
and presumably the best way to heckle an academic talk about rave music is to stand at the back, dancing.

john eden

male pale and stale
Sorry, is this event about the Liverpool 'ardkore continuum or the better known London one?

:p

heva

Wild Horses
Hey the continuum isn't all London these days - bassline?! But as to whether bassline *should* be part of the continuum (and nevermind the fact that Liverpool isn't exactly the center of the bassline universe), come and argue with Simon. :)

swears

preppy-kei
Something good comes to Liverpool for once. I will bring a couple of smartarse mates to ask daft questions.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Interesting. People who go along could report back maybe? *looks schoolmasterly*
To my mind, there are at least 2, maybe 3 hardcore continuums, but they intersect at various points just to make it confusing.

straight

wings cru
you laugh at the northern donkcore continuum but what did i see in stroud green tescos yesterday but a wigan pier bounce CD at no 5 in the album chart. reckon burials ever punted that many cd's in a supermarket?

swears

preppy-kei
I hate donk/wiganbounce/scouse house and all that cheeseball northern post-happy hardcore shite. The whole package is awful, not just the music but the aesthetics, the clubs, the mcs (who all sound exactly the same)... it's all so gormless.

straight

wings cru
yeah but its serious dissection in the UK press this year really highlighted in a very hilarious way how reynolds theory had become creed amongst music journos. not to mention the man himself's comments

yeah but its serious dissection in the UK press this year really highlighted in a very hilarious way how reynolds theory had become creed amongst music journos. not to mention the man himself's comments

That whole period- 9 years late as it was- just confused the fuck out of me.

mos dan

fact music

has it? it's an idea that's out there, but i'm not sure who else has taken it on..?

bassnation

the abyss
john you're thinking of the donk'nuum, which i think belongs to the hyperkore famble but not THE Nuum proper.

fantastic. i want to hear more about the hyperkore famble. lol. if there's ever a paper that needs to be written, its one tying it into lacan and co. who's going to bring it?

luka

if you restrict the theory to london and surrounding counties and don't get too carried away it still works fairly well i think. but we've had this discussion before of course. i just think of somone like footloose (i was listening to him on kool in 94). trace his career and you've got a good argument for a contiuum of some sort.

i will be embarressed if there are two or more footlooses obviously.

bassnation

the abyss
if you restrict the theory to london and surrounding counties and don't get too carried away it still works fairly well i think. but we've had this discussion before of course. i just think of somone like footloose (i was listening to him on kool in 94). trace his career and you've got a good argument for a contiuum of some sort.

i will be embarressed if there are two or more footlooses obviously.

for one terrifying second there, i thought you were talking about footloose the film.