Alasdair Gray

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Wow.

I got a couple of his books over the holidays and am very impressed so far. I've read 1982 Janine, which was great, and am getting on with Lanark, which also seems to be great.

Is there a reason I'd barely heard of this guy before, beyond me just being uncultured?

ps no spoilers for Lanark, please!

STN

sou'wester
He is a badman.

I guess you could easily miss him; I would never know who he was if it weren't for my eye being drawn to a copy of 1982 Janine in the Arnolfini bookshop by chance one day, he does pop up in the papers every now and then, and Irvine Welsh (to his credit) gives him frequent props. Lanark is more widely acclaimed but I think 1982 is the more honest, effective novel. I certainly don't agree that it shows 'the same large talent shown in Lanark deployed to a rather puerile end', which is what Anthony Burgess thought.

That opening passage of Lanark is just bloody amazing.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yes! Gray is a fantastic writer, although shockingly I have only read Lanark and two of his collections of short stories so far. I'm not sure if there's any big reason why you would have missed him - here in Scotland he's massively respected, particularly among the academic/literary magazine crowd but also converting into good sales. But perhaps it's a different story elsewhere.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
I read 'Lanark' on the back of an Irvine Welsh recommendation. Not personal of course!

Another Scottish writer who I've never seen mention of is Ron Butlin. His excellent 'The Sound of My Own Voice' about a middle class alcoholic was written in the second person and is of perfect length (I have an aversion to very long books). I bought it for a £1 in Haye-On-Wye on the back of I.W's comment on the front.

Good work Irvine.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Reminded me that I've never read Lanark despite intending to for years... ordered a copy today at last.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Another apparently important person I've now heard of because they've died.

This happens more often than I'd like to admit.