RIP to another legend.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Sad news

I was lucky enough to see the Stooges three times since they reformed, and each time they were immense - the best live band I've ever seen, for sure. Pity Ron had so much of the credit due him stolen by Iggy.

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
Was at least fortunate enough to see him play with J Mascis' band.

Thanks mistersloane for the linkz.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
i watched an interview with Asheton a few weeks ago. He was with Iggy Pop and someone else from the Stooges. I guess the Stooges got back together recently. He was talking about how he smoked spider webs with Iggy one night while they were waiting for cocaine/heroin iirc. really excellent guitarist.

Benny Bunter

i watched an interview with Asheton a few weeks ago. He was with Iggy Pop and someone else from the Stooges. I guess the Stooges got back together recently. He was talking about how he smoked spider webs with Iggy one night while they were waiting for cocaine/heroin iirc. really excellent guitarist.

Thats a funny story but I'd hate it if he was just remembered for all the drugs related mania surrounding the Stooges legend. If you read that Legs Mcneil book "Please kill me" theres loads of quotes from describing his total disgust at the degradation the rest of the Stooges had descended into. He seemed like the sensible one in the band and very much resented them fucking up their career because of heroin addiction. (I hated that book by the way. Loads of boring drugs stories, not much about the music :mad:)

And I've always felt a bit sorry for him, the way that Iggy just ditched him in favour of James Williamson when they were making Raw Power, and then just decided to get him back in because they couldn't find anyone else in England. Iggy was a complete cunt wasn't he?

The consolation is of course that Funhouse has stood the test of time better than Raw Power (as great an album as that is). RIP

Leo

...Raw Power (as great an album as that is). RIP

btw...is it still possible to find the original mix version on cd? it was "remixed" by iggy back a few years back, and while it's pretty rockin' in its own right, i still like the original tinny, hugely fucked-up sounding original version. there's something about the trashy sound that supports the whole stooges mystique.

i have the original mix on vinyl, but it seems like all i see now is the "new and improved" version on cd.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Thats a funny story but I'd hate it if he was just remembered for all the drugs related mania surrounding the Stooges legend. If you read that Legs Mcneil book "Please kill me" theres loads of quotes from describing his total disgust at the degradation the rest of the Stooges had descended into. He seemed like the sensible one in the band and very much resented them fucking up their career because of heroin addiction. (I hated that book by the way. Loads of boring drugs stories, not much about the music :mad:)

I liked that book, but I see what you mean. I like oral histories, but obviously you're going to get a lot of that when it's a bunch of people yakking about the good old days.

Best things about that book:

a) All The Andy Warhol trash-talking
b) How everyone seemed to pay their rent by being gay prostitutes
c) Pretty much anything that involved the MC5

petergunn

plywood violin
And I've always felt a bit sorry for him, the way that Iggy just ditched him in favour of James Williamson when they were making Raw Power, and then just decided to get him back in because they couldn't find anyone else in England. Iggy was a complete cunt wasn't he?

i agree, the only upside is discovering that Ashton is a pretty great bass player, too... his playing on "I Got a Right" is totally awesome...

i used to be a anti-Raw Power/Williamson snob, but over time i like Raw Power as mucha s I like Fun House and i have grown to love Williamson's guitar playing... in retrospect, it seems crazy NOT to have kept the lineup from Fun House for another LP, but at the time the record was a commercial flop and Williamson is w/o a doubt a technically more advanced player than Ron... BUT, there is no James Williamson "moment" as jaw dropping as when the guitar solo kicks in in "no fun"... "c'mon ron, lemme hear you hear you tell em how i feel"

and yeah, Ron was basically the only guy in the Stooges who had any common sense, was not a total drug fiend, and in every single interview I've ever read w/ him seemed like a smart, likable, dude...