World's Greatest Female Singers II

Through the magic of YouTube I have listened to over a thousand lady singers across all styles - Pop, R&B, Soul, Blues, Jazz, Bossa Nova, Punk, Gospel, Rock, Folk, Country, Metal ... - and judged them on pitch, tone, range, control, phrasing and versatility. These are, in my opinion, the best (live) singers around today.

This search did not include Opera or Musical Theatre, genres as yet impenetrable to my untrained ear.

This is still a provisional list and I would appreciate any suggestions of accomplished live singers I may have missed, especially from the non-English speaking world.

Dianne Reeves

Alison Krauss

Lisa Ono

KD Lang

Christina Aguilera

Fiona Apple

Tamia

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xQYRn5Ra0Wg&feature=related

Norah Jones

Leela James

Amy Winehouse

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eu7uPHtTJ4o

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
That list is truly awful. Norah Jones? She sings like a bored nymphette on qualuudes.

One of the greatest live female singers I've been able to experience first hand (that is, live) is Bjork. Her voice is colossal. When I saw her she played an outdoor theatre at Olympic Island in Toronto, probably to around just short of a couple thousand people. There was a moment in her performance where she was singing acapella and slowly moved away from the microphone, continuing to project loud and clearly across the entire field. Amazing.

nochexxx

harco pronting
i'm presuming this is thread bait and boombox is therefore taking the piss. at least i hope he is :slanted:

That list is terrible, man.

i'm presuming this is thread bait and boombox is therefore taking the piss. at least i hope he is

it's all a bit

Thank you for the constructive criticism, everyone.

One of the greatest live female singers I've been able to experience first hand (that is, live) is Bjork. Her voice is colossal...There was a moment in her performance where she was singing acapella and slowly moved away from the microphone, continuing to project loud and clearly across the entire field. Amazing.

I find that a lot of her singing involves off-pitch squealing. Though when she's on she's very impressive.

Client Eastwood

Thank you for the constructive criticism, everyone.

I find that a lot of her singing involves off-pitch squealing. Though when she's on she's very impressive.

Sorry mate just not a fan of that over singing sing every note style of vocal. I'd agree with you on Bjork. I fucking love Wunderlust (sp)

So for me its

Nina Simone
The Moloko woman whose voice just make me smile errm Roisin Murphy
Mary J up till My Life
Carole King
Badu
Patrice Rushen
. . .

edit
and Lata

Last edited:
Sorry mate just not a fan of that over singing sing every note style of vocal

What makes you think I am?

I don't agree at all on Mary J Blige (can't hold a simple tune) or Erykah Badu. As for Lata Mangeshkar, a wonderful voice but hard to find recent live performances (if they even exist). Do you know of any great modern Indian singers?

My vote goes to Diamanda Galas, btw.

And Alicia Keys.

Preferably in a duet.

Good call on Galas. I listened to her and then forgot about her. I will remedy my mistake. Alicia Keys imo is a pretty bad singer (strained, pitchy) although I think she's a fine songwriter.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Today's (sort of) teaser:

Diamanda Galas and Morrissey have a common song in their repertoire....but what is it?