Contemporary music

Viral Radio

A question from someone who works for the Muziekgebouw aan 't IJ in Amsterdam, trying to help them win audiences: how are things in your town? I am a programmer of electronic music (from Squarepusher to Oren Ambarchi to Mike Slott) and I am used to posting threads and announcements on forums and blogs and other social sites like Last FM and Facebook. I will be working for a much more formal organisation now, helping them find new means of communicating their programmes, finding audiences in more experimental ways, and overall opening up to become a contemporary concerthall. Does anyone of you have this kind of experience? Or do you know any good examples of other organisations? Thanks in advance, really appreciate the help.

psherburne

You might want to get in touch with Alain Mongeau from MUTEK (Montreal), Mat Schulz from Unsound (Krakow) or the guys from Club Transmediale (Berlin), as the last several years they've been working on a lot of cooperative initiatives designed to help experimental-music festivals....

Viral Radio

Thanks Philip. I am coming to Club Transmediale, but won't make it to the discussion you are part of http://www.clubtransmediale.de/fest...ow-guerrilla-media-is-revitalising-music.html

That touches upon the exact issue. Working with little known producers of dubstep and experimental beats seems different to ensembles and orchestras (in terms of publishing fees and overall flexibility), but I am trying to approach them the same. I will track these people down, much obliged.

psherburne

unfortunately i'm not going to be able to take part in the panel, as my travel plans changed. it looks like a great one, though. good luck with your efforts and keep us posted...

Viral Radio

Thanks, will do. I am trying to figure out how to use social media to engage with new audiences for contemporary music, perhaps somewhat in the way the Powerhouse Museum uses flickr or the Brooklyn Museum uses any kind of community. Having worked in both music and museum world, I know of many museum examples but of little music ones. But I will keep you posted here.