josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
I will give a prize of one jellybean, dispatched through the mail, to anyone who is able to provide a definition of "pretentious crap."

Just to provide some brief context, it is really my interest in the political transcendental hermeneutics of ontology that has led me to ask this question. I feel that the subjective nature of what Deleuze calls "differenciation" (to be strictly opposed to differentiation) provides, if not a working theory of pretentious crap, then at least a libidinal matrix according to which an egalitarian theory of properly politicized militancy opens out onto a post-Heideggerean model of radical being-at-homeness.

STN

sou'wester
Is it Martin Amis thinking 'horrorism' was a worthwhile 'invention' of his, and not something a ten-year-old would (not could; would) come up with?

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I hate people who are pretentiously unpretentious.

Word.

Best to watch a football game while drooling all over self in those off hours when I'm not happily being sold into wage slavery by my government--don't criticize the government, that's a hard job, you know.

Anything, anything's better than emasculating myself with the "arts"...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'll say this for Joey K, he knows how to start an eye-catching thread ("Fascism!" "Mathematics!" "Genuine Lindsay Lohan drunk nude photos!"). Anyway, on new year's day just gone I found myself in a conversation that culminated with me saying "Is Heston Blumenthal the Slavoj Zizek of contemporary cuisine?", which is quite possibly the most obnoxious thing that's ever been said by me, or indeed anybody. But it amused me at the time, which is the main thing.

nomadthethird

Yes, Tanadan. It's what happens when people have pretenses that don't match their actual knowledge base or intelligence level.

nomadthethird

the arts are just there so you can talk importantly about the arts.

Most of the people I know who are into critical theory and philosophy are very talented musicians, writers, painters, architects, videographers, film makers, you name it, they do it.

Believe it or not, not everyone who has talent wants to work in the entertainment industry. I know we live in an American Idol culture, but some people would rather forego the pleasure.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos

I hate it when people rebel against being typically pretentious by being pretentious about things you just can't even really be pretentious about. So they stop reading Foucault, listening to Ornette Coleman, and watching The Wire, and they start reading Tom Clancy, listening to Guns N Roses, and watching American Idol, but when they talk about it, they quietly assert that neither you, nor people who enjoy that stuff, "get it" like they do.

zhao

there are no accidents
i hate the casual and mis-use of the P word. but good topic, i wanted to write a piece about this at one time...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

I have a friend (more of a FOAF really), who's actually a pretty sound guy but sometimes gets so militantly anti-pretentious he ends up sounding really pretentious - as in, he's so anti-fashion he says things like "The only reason I wear clothes is so as not to be naked in public". :slanted:

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

Pretentious people are most harmful to themselves and others when they buy into the conceit that everything they do cannot but be a reflection of their essential excellence and refinement - that somehow listening to Duffy or wearing a shellsuit diminishes them as philosophers, scientists or writers (which of course, in the eyes of their pretentious peers, would be true).

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I worry a fair amount about being pretentious, but I worry even more about being ill-informed. It puts me in a moderately awkward position.
Anyway, couldn't give you a definition, but two things which always set my pretention alarm-bells ringing at the mo: the phrase 'cognitive dissonance', and the use of 'think' as an intransitive verb. Not sure I could rationally defend this though, it's more of a feeling I get.

nomadthethird

Pretentious people are most harmful to themselves and others when they buy into the conceit that everything they do cannot but be a reflection of their essential excellence and refinement - that somehow listening to Duffy or wearing a shellsuit diminishes them as philosophers, scientists or writers (which of course, in the eyes of their pretentious peers, would be true).

But then there are the inverse sorts who buy into the conceit that listening to Duffy or wearing a shellsuit makes them even better philosophers, scientists, or writers--you run into a lot of these in NYC, esp in humanities master's or beyond belief exclusive post-doc research programs.

It's because they're just so down to earth, see? Plus, they just don't even have to try at anything. They're smart AND they party their asses off. They don't even know who Pavement is, they've been listening exclusively to JT and Coldplay forever and doing stem cell research and getting spray tans and breast implants.

Guh.

Which is worse? I don't know.

It's just different degrees of overcompensation in different directions.

Edit: But then again, who cares about "pretentious people"?

It's like you don't want to end up coming across like one of the anti-hipsters who try so so hard to make it clear that they themselves are not in any way hipsters, even though they fit into the hipster demographic according to like any ad exec's definition of a hipster (which is obviously what matters), that it becomes achingly obvious that they are hipsters. What kind of person who isn't basically a hipster gives a shit about hipsters?

My mom is not a hipster, and you know what? She spends exactly zero time bitching about how hipsters are a blight on humanity. In fact, she probably has no idea what a hipster is. In her mind, when she sees hipsters, she thinks they're just "young" and trendy kids, doing what young people do--partying and wearing trendy clothes. (Just like they've been doing for quite a few decades now, like they did when she was a young, trendy hippy...)

Last edited: