arts tv

bashert

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Odd one to start with but, my festive TV viewing led me to despair. Where have all the decent TV presenters gone? I'm thinking arts tv here. I hate to bemoan the good old days, but youtube has brought back a flood of memories:

Here's John Berger's fantastic Ways of Seeing - Robert Hughes -Shock of the New Not arts, but a polymath all the same. Jonathan Miller -http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o8d4eiqEdmA

I loathe Alan Yentob, Melvyn Bragg and Andrew Graham Dixon. Surely there must be someone out there who could do a better job? I suppose there's Zizek, but stuff like www.thepervertsguide.com seems so rare these days. Where are the polymaths of today?

worrior

Yes totally agree. Been watching some old Robert Hughes - both Shock of the New and his ones on architects. He's still around though. Did you see his one on the contemporary art world, the Mona Lisa Curse? Some great scenes of Hughes visiting rich and incredibly vacuous collectors in California. And apparently Damien Hirst wants to sue him for critical comments in the programme which is of course ridiculous and proves some of the argument Hughes - an art critic - is making.

How did Alan Yentob get that gig... oh I forgot he was the boss at the time and gave it to himself:slanted: It's like when the chairman of a football club decides he also wants to be the manager.

Matthew Collins was missing from your list. He can make some interesting points but seems petrified of appearing intelligent or assuming the audience have any braincells.

What ever happened to Sister Wendy?

bashert

Yes, Robert Hughes is still good. Matthew Collings' 'This is Civilisation' was a fun watch too - but he can be very jokey... Sister Wendy's still about, just:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...08-Sister-Wendy-and-the-froth-of-the-new.html .

All of them have been around for decades. I want to know who the new polymaths are and why aren't they on TV. Where are the new thinkers who could actually have a go at popularising their topic? I believe in the power of good public service broadcasting as a way for thinkers and academics to reach out to people...TV used to be wonderful at this.

Has the old standard of intelligent person talking to the audience has lost favour in TV circles, as the article below points out. And if so, who then are the current cultural voices that are being ignored? Who's the John Berger of today?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/nov/01/broadcasting.arts

crackerjack

And apparently Damien Hirst wants to sue him for critical comments in the programme which is of course ridiculous and proves some of the argument Hughes - an art critic - is making.

Didn't know that, but if true you're quite right, it's proving Hughes' point for him - that as an artist Hirst is all shock and no awe. Didn't he also sue some young artist who used a small photo of one of his pieces as part of giant collage?

How did Alan Yentob get that gig... oh I forgot he was the boss at the time and gave it to himself:slanted: It's like when the chairman of a football club decides he also wants to be the manager.

You gotta admire his chutzpah;) some of the Imagine progs were said to be bought in from other film makers, with a yentob voiceover added on plus a few nodding shots of the old egomaniac himself. the thinking goes that people couldn't bring themselves to watch an arts prog without a recognisable old uncle fronting for reassurance.

Shame that expenses fiddle turned out to be false.

bashert

Interesting article, thanks Josef K

Yup - I think Imagine do buy in the odd thing - Heavy Metal Bagdad last year was a version of a cinema doc. But of course this was updated/recut with extra Yentob footage...

That Hirst story is astonishing. (sorry for linking to daily mail)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ned-sue-teenager-alleged-copyright-theft.html

Why do I find myself turning more and more to www.ted.com than the BBC iplayer? Why isn't someone like Brian Eno given time on BBC4? Or Lawrence Lessig? Or even Hari Kunzru? There must be someone telegenic and bright these days...

sufi

lala
vislogo.gif

i loved this as a nippa,
watching it again on youtube - i was surprised how much of it i recognise & remember, & also to learn that it was aimed at deaf kids (thus no chat!)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
..slight derail but this reminded me of this, which I got sent, sounds like a fab thing :

The End of Television is a video program beginning when analog television ends. On February 17th, 2009 the U.S. television broadcast signal will change over from analog to digital. No television will receive a signal without a special converter box.

On February 17th, The End of Television will air through analog broadcast TV on channel 2 in Pittsburgh. When broadcasters turn off their analog transmitters The End of Television turns it's analog transmitter on and broadcasts the program. Using a restricted and nearly obsolete medium (broadcast TV) , The End of Television re-imagines the omnipresent idea of "broadcast yourself." We are accepting all videos submitted before the deadline and there is no submission fee.

The End of Television will hold a countdown event on the evening of February 16th in Pittsburgh (Location TBA) and at midnight we will flip the switch.

or visit TheEndOfTelevision.blogspot.com for any updates

send videos to:
The End of Television
331 S. Aiken st
Pittsburgh, PA 15232

Deadline:
postmarked by January 25th

- Work should be submitted on miniDV or VHS.
- Work will not be returned unless a SASE is included.

*It should be noted that this program will accept all work submitted, but the program reserves the right to not broadcast a video if it is deemed unsuitable.