Swell Maps

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
One of various bands that I've investigated since reading Rip It Up, and I would have to say that I'm really impressed. I expected it to be the sort of thing where I just went 'Well, that's ok' and moved on, but no, they've got some genuinely great songs.
What I would say though, is that although the eccentricity and weird humour is a big part of their appeal, the standard characterisation of their sound as 'amateurish' and esp 'shaky' seems wrong to be. A lot of their tracks come across as, well, rockin', albeit in very stripped-down, scratchy, motorik sort of way. Must be the avowed influence of Can coming through I guess. Would other people who've heard them agree?

STN

sou'wester
Yes, 'Jane From Occupied Europe' is magic. The only Nikki Sudden record I've heard was absolute toss though. Quite like Steve Treatment but am too embarrassed to recommend it to anyone else.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Wooo. Favourite overall song by them? I'm torn between Midget Submarine and Let's Build a Car. I love the nosebleed guitar/bass on the intro to the latter.

zhao

there are no accidents
no really. great band. perfect sound no? you hear someone describe them "untrained blah blah artschool project blah blah" and you think oh, some weird atonal jams, big fuckin woop. but the music is actually shockingly good and surprising. and surprisingly good. i mean if they kept at it probably would've gotten better but the raw sound is great.

humor? what humor?

swears

preppy-kei
They sound like something your nerdy mate at school would do with a 4-track and some cheap FX pedals, only good.

Persie = Full Moon In My Pocket/Blam !/Full Moon (Reprise)...so satisfying. There's a Peel session rendition that kills me every time...

I feel there's a sense of humour to their music, or at least, there's a sense of fun that offers humour?

zhao

there are no accidents
Midget Submarines

Solid in those waters
You were shattered and you lost your name
Cutting lines you shot the channel
Pushing out the galleons.

In a midget submarine
Midget submarine
So much like escape.

Sleeping in a moving train
With ammunition and the other guns
Diving out of games
With all those stens and always so amazed.

In a midget submarine
Midget submarine
It's all escape.

Sitting there in fashion
Just so pretty, so real, amazed
Cases of the cargo
All in canvas with galleons and tanks.

In a midget submarine
Midget submarine
It's all escape.

In a midget submarine
Midget submarine
It's all escape.

well the lyrics themselves did not answer my question... i suppose we may never know.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
ah nice thread
it's ages since I listened to any Maps
I must go and play A Trip To Marineville again right now :)

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Good to see the love for them is shared.
On the topic of stuff from that whole era, can anyone tell me why is it that I've rather keen on Cabaret Voltaire, but am finding it next to impossible to get into Throbbing Gristle? (although Discipline is pretty nifty, I'll grant you).

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
On the topic of stuff from that whole era, can anyone tell me why is it that I've rather keen on Cabaret Voltaire, but am finding it next to impossible to get into Throbbing Gristle? (although Discipline is pretty nifty, I'll grant you).

which Gristle are you listening to? (apart from Discipline)

I like the early stuff best, partly on Second Annual Report or Live Vol.1.
(I'd recommend TG24 but that might be a bit of an outlay if you're not really into them ;))
they also did a "live in the studio" LP with Heathen Earth which works quite well, except that the music they were making wasn't as good by that stage

and what Cabs for that matter? (I've no time for anything post Red Mecca)

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
For TG, I've been listening to various bits and pieces from Second Annual Report, D.o.A and 20 Jazz-Funk Greats. In terms of SAW, would have to say that things like Slug Bait do very little for me. Might give Heather Earth a go at some point.
For the Cabs, I just have the Original Sound Of Sheffield 78/82 compilation so far, so yeah, I don't that takes me up much further than Red Mecca. Love the slow, sinister things like The Set Up.

zhao

there are no accidents
20 jazz funk greats, whats not to like?!?! it basically gave births to like, 7 different genres to come, and is the blueprint for popular and popular experimental music for the next 3 decades...

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
20 jazz funk greats, whats not to like?!?! it basically gave births to like, 7 different genres to come, and is the blueprint for popular and popular experimental music for the next 3 decades...

I know! Convincing People, Hot on the Heels of Love, Six Six Sixties...

Then there's all of their other albums, too, DOA is awesomely psychedelic. Heathen Earth seems to be "cool" right now, I read about it everywhere.