PDA / Do I even need a PC?

adruu

This Is It
Does anyone have one of these super PDA's that you can connect with Wi-Fi, stream music, and look at web pages? Not the early adopter I used to aspire to, so I don't know nuthing about nuthing about these things...

bo!ne

I had a Palm Tungsten T2 but have since flogged it on eBay and got a laptop. Even the best Palms seem to have a problem with multitasking and implementing all the sexy bits is very fiddly and seems so limited if youre a MP3/AVI downloading disc-burning type of PC user.

If you can go 100-200 quid more get yourself a light slim laptop instead.

PDA's are only good as diaries and address books IMO

ome

ive been using a palm treo 600 for a year now:

works as a phone
diary / address / 2do
mp3 player (1gig chip max)
works with blogger etc.. for posting
as a browser its a bit pants due to screen size, good for stuff like travel / cinemas
checking urgent email when on the road (not for every day stuff - unless you only recieve 1-2 emails a day)
i also do other geeky things like control my computer from home (vnc) and run a little database to log work

as for streaming music from the web: thats too expensive (service provider costs)
wi-fi would be cool (especially for over internet voice over internet) but its not avaliable in this palm version

but adruu right - it does not replace a laptop

adruu

This Is It
there's some stellar stuff over at kemplar.com / dynamism.com but it's way out of my range.

give it a year or two maybe, and then it seems possible. been browsing the gadget sites / reviews, and it doesn't seem like it is where it could be.

you would think they could make these things a *little* bigger and cram in enough silicone to do everything? i think the industry limits product development on purpose to create demand, but hey...

ome

PDA

the problem is the rezolution of the capture capabilities of our eyes and that our fingers are too big - so a huge gui change or will be required we adapt ourselves to the tech -hehe

what is cool is that last week a tawinize chip manufacture has brought out a whole gsm phone on one chip for less than $10 - the jump from ipod to mobile is in round the corner.... I have a friend putting them into t-shirts so you can txt to someones tshirt (flexiable lcd)

Last edited: