Dangerous Mystagogue
This is quite interesting:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5616686.ece

Or perhaps more precisely, where the dynamic assumes a startling visual form:

15213423.jpg

Last edited:

Mr BoShambles

jambiguous
Caught a bit of a discussion about the strikes on the radio. It was stressed that:

a) a proper process of tendering for the work was conducted, with this Italian firm (Irem) being selected for their specific expertise at a competitive price; and
b) that there will be no redundancies of any workers - British or otherwise - as a result of Irem's decision to bring in its own staff from abroad since this is a new project requiring a new workforce.​

Not sure i see what all the fuss is about....?

vimothy

yurp
Can someone just explain -- is this:

A foreign firm in the UK hiring foreign workers?
A UK firm hiring foreign workers?
The UK government hiring foreign workers?

Ta

Mr BoShambles

jambiguous
Can someone just explain -- is this:

A foreign firm in the UK hiring foreign workers?
A UK firm hiring foreign workers?
The UK government hiring foreign workers?

Ta

As far as i understand mate, this a foreign firm which has been subcontracted to do a specific project and they are bringing their own workforce with them to do it.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
oh Josef's just being sarky ;)

great thread though Josef, you've actually got me to read Lacan :D

note the actual cover photo of the Times is from French strikes whilst we're discussing the Lincolnshire strikes. (and related UK wildcat strikes, if we get that far, as there are already a fair few of those happening.)

vimothy

yurp
As far as i understand mate, this a foreign firm which has been subcontracted to do a specific project and they are bringing their own workforce with them to do it.

But who is paying them? Is it a foreign firm bringing in a foreign firm? Ultimately I am just wondering who is paying for this project. I kind of assumed it was the government, but it now looks like I wasn't paying much attention...

crackerjack

But who is paying them? Is it a foreign firm bringing in a foreign firm? Ultimately I am just wondering who is paying for this project. I kind of assumed it was the government, but it now looks like I wasn't paying much attention...

It's a project that Total Oil have sub-contracted to Irem, which is Italian - who are bringing in loads of Italians and Portugese

edit: dunno to wha extent this is Irem using existing employees - largely not, I guess, since one of the objections of is that UK people weren't given a chance to apply and others report seeing ads elsewhere for this job stating "Portugese an advantage".

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Interesting that they (someone, somewhere, erm, in an article I can no longer find...) unfavourably compare the reaction of British to French workers. The French are in the streets protesting that they are in a financial crisis/recession/police state, whilst the Brits are on the streets moaning that foreigners are taking their jobs.

crackerjack

Interesting that they (someone, somewhere, erm, in an article I can no longer find...) unfavourably compare the reaction of British to French workers. The French are in the streets protesting that they are in a financial crisis/recession/police state, whilst the Brits are on the streets moaning that foreigners are taking their jobs.

that sounds like the one Scottdisco just linked to