The Bristol Sound

Client Eastwood

With RSD back on the scene I was thinking about all those early Bristol tracks taking in soul, hip hip and sound system culture. I used to love all of those. Could anyone point me in the direction of any more ?

Fresh 4- edit : with a young DJ Krust I think
Massive Attack

Loads of Smith & Mighty ones

Carlton

Last edited:

mms

sometimes

bombin again with nellee, 3d, goldie and others, the owners of the 90's in some ways, is that bionic from london posse in the giant spex too?

Client Eastwood

Just quickly a couple of others coming to mind.
More Rockers - another Smith and Mighty guise I think.

Were Presure Drop from Bristol ? They had the same sort of vibe on Elusive albeit a little later than the period im talking about.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Might be percieved that way now but at the time all these productions sounded incredibly fresh and brought something new the 90's soundscape.

Sorry, was just a nod to another main thread of this week! i really like all that stuff myself - may be obvious but, soncially-speaking, Blue Lines is still one of my all-time favourites. The PERCUSSION on Unfinished Sympathy, and that crazy Al Green loop on Five Man Army....plus tricky's fantastic whisper-raps.

tox

Factory Girl
Might be percieved that way now but at the time all these productions sounded incredibly fresh and brought something new the 90's soundscape.

Geoff Barrow from Portishead wrote a nice blog about this very subject . He basically laid into Morcheeba for stripping out all that was fresh in the Bristol Sound and producing a horrible kind of soulless trip-hop. I often think of Third as a direct reaction against the lazy categorization of Portishead as a "coffee-table" band - there are certainly plenty of noises on that record that you wouldn't want to have in the background at a dinner party.

Good, if slightly chaotic, guide to various Bristol sounds:
http://www.red-lines.co.uk/roughguide/bristolcream.htm

Client Eastwood

Geoff Barrow from Portishead wrote a nice blog about this very subject . He basically laid into Morcheeba for stripping out all that was fresh in the Bristol Sound and producing a horrible kind of soulless trip-hop. I often think of Third as a direct reaction against the lazy categorization of Portishead as a "coffee-table" band - there are certainly plenty of noises on that record that you wouldn't want to have in the background at a dinner party.

Good, if slightly chaotic, guide to various Bristol sounds:
http://www.red-lines.co.uk/roughguide/bristolcream.htm

yeah a lot that ninja tunes and mo wax stuff was exactly that. in a way mezzanine and 3rd attempted to change and challenge those assertions. and did so pretty well.

elgato

I just dont know
another little intersection with another thread on here at the moment (although one i haven't read yet) is what i saw as another major side of the 'bristol sound', that being big banging dirty ravey squat music... when i lived there that (along with dnb in the clubs) was pretty much the vibe that dominated the city's raves... gabba, acid techno, breakcore, hard techstep, yardcore, electro, all that kind of stuff. it occurred to me just the other day how this always seems to get slightly left out of the history books as it were. a quick look over squatjuice the other week also showed about 50% of events posted there located in Bristol... thats pretty significant i think

Alfons

Way of the future
Gotta represent Reprazent

got a link to this? Sounds like an interesting read.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yeah a lot that ninja tunes and mo wax stuff was exactly that. in a way mezzanine and 3rd attempted to change and challenge those assertions. and did so pretty well.

n*nj* t*nes and m* w*x are two of the most cuntish rcord labels I've ever had the misfortune to come across. And Coldcut did some great stuff, especially the Eric B & Rakim, remix. What on earth possessed them to turn over to the dark side?

tox

Factory Girl
Gotta represent Reprazent

got a link to this? Sounds like an interesting read.

I'm fairly sure it was posted on their myspace sometime before Third came out. Unfortunately the archive doesn't seem to stretch past April 2008. Might be archived on a fansite or something... I'll have a dig around google.