Simon Reynolds on fanzines in The Guardian

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Enjoyed the article, there seems to be quite a lot of writing about at the moment concerning the question of digital vs. analog/online vs. print journalism etc. My PC crashed recently and I've been without it for a week, and it has made me wonder about the advantages/disadvantages of consuming music and discussion around it so overwhelmingly through the internet.

I think its true that you tend to scan text on a screen with a certain passivity or carelessness, perhaps the medium encourages constant and rapid information processing in a way that words on a page do not? Also, I wonder if the interaction around the discussion of music you find in online forums/blogs is somewhat self-perpetuating and performative... This is probably not something particular to the internet, but I find that a lot of the arguments I get into over music on the net become quite unimportant to me once I'm out of the loop (as I have been, by-and-large, for the last few weeks). I suppose interactivity has to have much more invested in it for someone to make or seek out a fanzine, whereas with internet discussion you can end up discussing things automatically as you type.

The big 'on the other hand' - I've learnt a lot about music from forums/blogs, I enjoy discussing music in this manner and I've definitely felt deprived of information and new music since being partially cut off from the web...

nochexxx

harco pronting
yes when i hear the sounds of clicking heels i constantly find myself hiding dissensus behind an excel spread sheet. because of this my hearing has developed quite considerably, but yes information digested in this circumstance is not best!

scottdisco

rip this joint please
heh-heh.

i went through a period in one long running temp job of getting in minor trouble now and again whenever printing out certain reports as i often forgot to hide the All Music Guide window on the desktop and the eagle eyed reader would note a tab at the bottom of the screen saying something like allmusic ((( Jedi Mind Tricks > Overview ))), nestled beneath the report body..

crackerjack

heh-heh.

i went through a period in one long running temp job of getting in minor trouble now and again whenever printing out certain reports as i often forgot to hide the All Music Guide window on the desktop and the eagle eyed reader would note a tab at the bottom of the screen saying something like allmusic ((( Jedi Mind Tricks > Overview ))), nestled beneath the report body..

Were they mad at your skiving or poor taste in hip hop :p?

swears

preppy-kei
woofah02cover-01.jpg

Sorry, bit off topic, but does John or anyone else know what font is being used here^^^? I've got plenty of big blocky ones like futura heavy, etc, but I'm looking for this specific one.