books: sci-fi by non genre authors

ether

I've been enjoying stuff like a 'a drowned world' by JG Ballard and 'Children of men' by P. D. James recently, Can anyone recommend any writers who've dabbled in sci-fi?

swears

preppy-kei
JG Ballard is basically a sci-fi author, right? Not all of his books' premises are based in science and technology, but most have a "what if..." angle.

One of my favourite sci-fi short stories is "The Janitor of Mars" by Martin Amis, which revolves around the idea that the human race is a bit rubbish compared to other civilisations, very funny.

viktorvaughn

Kurt Vonnegut. Done pure sci-fi (player piano) through to tinged stuff like slaughterhouse 5 and cats cradle. Great author.

ether

I haven't read any Vonnegut in ages, I'll have to give him another look,

On a side note, can you recommend any Octavia E. Butler? seems like she had a fairly unique take on the genre, been meaning to read some for a while now.

Last edited:

littlebird

Wild Horses
Flicker

I've been enjoying stuff like a 'a drowned world' by JG Ballard and 'Children of men' by P. D. James recently, Can anyone recommend any writers who've dabbled in sci-fi?

honestly not sure if "sci-fi" is the right label to affix to this book, but i do think it appeals to those who enjoy novels such as the P.D. James mentioned.

'Flicker' Theodore Roszak

i've heard mention for some time now that Aronofsky plans on making a film, but not seen much more than the name-dropping mention, and the new cover. i read this book quite a few years ago on a friend's suggestion, who had been passed his copy from a friend via another friend via another.

some links: Review
Amazon

luka

im quite fond of doris lessings sci-fi efforts. dunno if anyone else would be though.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
Just finished "Oryx & Crake" by Margaret Atwood. Very funny, very scary. Cardboard characters but a nice fatalism about scientific progress. (While scientists are society's golden goose, do you want the future direction of mankind to be decided by a group of socially alienated elitists with varying degrees of Asperger's syndrome?*)

EDIT: * present company excepted, Mr Tea

Last edited:

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
'CivilWarLand in Bad Decline' - George Saunders

'In the Country of Last Things' - Paul Auster

'Flats' - Rudolph Wurlitzer

All alternative looks at imaginary landscapes/scenarios...worth a look.

ether

honestly not sure if "sci-fi" is the right label to affix to this book, but i do think it appeals to those who enjoy novels such as the P.D. James mentioned.

'Flicker' Theodore Roszak

i've heard mention for some time now that Aronofsky plans on making a film, but not seen much more than the name-dropping mention, and the new cover. i read this book quite a few years ago on a friend's suggestion, who had been passed his copy from a friend via another friend via another.

some links: Review
Amazon

The los angeles underbelly may as well be science fiction too me, Just ordered this, it sounds right up my street.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
This constitutes the sum of my exposure to Joyce Carol Oates (the wife is a huge fan) but there's a story in "Wild Nights!" in which a family buys an "Emily Dickinson" robot-----it is fantastic, grotesque and strange. If everything she wrote was like this little story, I'd be a fanatic. (the Poe story is incredible but that is horror-genre)

littlebird

Wild Horses
This constitutes the sum of my exposure to Joyce Carol Oates (the wife is a huge fan) but there's a story in "Wild Nights!" in which a family buys an "Emily Dickinson" robot-----it is fantastic, grotesque and strange. If everything she wrote was like this little story, I'd be a fanatic. (the Poe story is incredible but that is horror-genre)

that is definitely not the Joyce Carol Oates i've ever been exposed to. that actually sounds interesting.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
she's a conundrum. she was friends with donald barthelme (though he was critical of her work) so... that must count for something.

littlebird

Wild Horses
she's a conundrum. she was friends with donald barthelme (though he was critical of her work) so... that must count for something.

she was/is quite prolific, i'll give her that. and tbf, i've only read a few (very few) books of hers, and only i think two to completion. so i'm not sure it is fair to make any real statement on her work as a whole, except to say what i did read in the past did not move me.

and yes, that is something in re: to Barthelme.

i know she was one of the advisors of Jonathan Safran Foer's thesis, which parts of became Everything Is illuminated.