hardcore getting commercialized

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Was walking out of a video rental store and heard the Run's House break going really fast out of the corner of my ear. I came closer and heard the distinctive stabs. As my mind is trying to place it, I walk into the store. "where's the music coming from?". The salesguy points at the screen, where he is playing a football game. It doesn't make any sense..."Baptism by Dub" in a Playstation 2 game??? I think the game was called "Fifa International Soccer", looked like NBA Jam kinda thing only for soccer, streetball. ANyway, I couldn't stick around to find out more. I wonder what else is on the soundtrack. I hope they got paid.

O

Omaar

One of the stings for New Zealand's largest TV station (TV One) sounds like a rip off of some Wiley tune, minus the beats, to me. Maybe I'm just being cynical or just misheard. Maybe a coincidence. Who knows.

Last edited:

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Yeah but NZ TV and ads have a huge amount of music rippd off dance music. Remember the All Blacks weet-bix ad that has a barely altered version of that EZ Roller's track from Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels?

There was a particular well known NZ producer who worked in one of the recording studios in Wellington doing a lot of that stuff.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
The Fifa series is probably EA Sports's biggest seller outside the US, so it's not surprising that they use dance music, considering its popularity outside the US.

Hell, even in the US it's pretty common to hear a brief snatch of kickdrum or breakbeat all over television...ever seen CSI? Most of the music they use is electronic of some form.

Backjob

The one that got me was a couple of years back hearing Menta's "Sound of the future" used as the background music on a Champion's League interstitial on BBC1....

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Yeah, it's one thing to hear a funky drummer break in Powerpuff Girls, it's another thing to hear freaking "Baptized by Dub" (a tune from 1992). I would be less surprised to hear Grime because at least that is current. Ok, so it was pretty popular back in the UK and someone thought it would trigger good memories or something but hearing it in a video store in suburbia is still pretty weird.