Metal Machine Music

STN

sou'wester
I've never heard this record and do quite want it to be good, even though post-VU Lou Reed generally causes me immense displeasure.

Anyone?

zhao

there are no accidents
not good. more artsy fartsy pretentious concept crap than good noise music. no repeated listening value. the name is the best thing about it in my estimation.

did only give it one go a long time ago... but i trust myself.

STN

sou'wester
And what a name!

it's an album that people used to go on about a lot, but it hasn't come up for a while now.

Leo

fun facts:

- it was reissued a couple of years ago...in remastered form! what a joke.

- the reissue was done as a limited-edition. numbered series. i know a guy who worked on the project at bmg and he had the printer print up about 10 copies of issue #00001, so that lou and a few industry people/collector nerds (including himself) could claim to have the first one. lesson: never trust a limited-edition numbered series to be true.

nochexxx

harco pronting
much to my shame i have yet to have heard this record. i want to badly though, primarily because i read it's either one of martin rev or alan vega's favourite records!

DannyL

Wild Horses
I brought this on CD and felt really cheated, really ripped off. Nothing happens - sonically, musically, thematically. It's just some tones and feedback. Which is kind of interesting for about 60 seconds, but 70 minutes? Fuck off. Unenjoyable, self-indulgent shit of the first order.

DannyL

Wild Horses
If I don't break it first. Just thinking about it is making me angry. I may have to attempt catharsis through destruction.

nochexxx

harco pronting
I brought this on CD and felt really cheated, really ripped off. Nothing happens - sonically, musically, thematically. It's just some tones and feedback. Which is kind of interesting for about 60 seconds, but 70 minutes? Fuck off. Unenjoyable, self-indulgent shit of the first order.

you making me excited!

zhao

there are no accidents
reed is obviously the least interesting, intelligent, sonically creative member of the velvets. the others all had these avant garde micro-tonal sound art whatever projects, and i think he felt insecure and wanted to do something like, totally wild and out there, like Cale, as kind of a joke.

he does have some clever moments with words though and chose a good name for an otherwise worthless piece of crap, and it somehow ends up getting talked about (by other pretentions crap takers) a lot more than, for instance, the sublime "Theater of Eternal Music".

the farce of modern music never stops giving...

vimothy

yurp
Jazkammer's version is very good, though doesn't seem to have much to do with the original. The best thing about the original, IMHO, is Lester Bang's review.

STN

sou'wester
What is Theater of Eternal Music? Is Lou Reed the most humourless man on earth?

vimothy

yurp
God, I will really mangle it and make it sound shit if I just paraphrase it off the top of my head. What the hell. It was something like: 'for those of you who like the sound of distorted guitars, well, Lou just removed the guitar'.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I've never heard this record and do quite want it to be good, even though post-VU Lou Reed generally causes me immense displeasure.

Really? i mean, the man's a tosser, but there's some remarkable songs on Coney Island Baby and New York. among others.

zhao

there are no accidents
What is Theater of Eternal Music? Is Lou Reed the most humourless man on earth?

theater of eternal music

and there is an actual "temple" in upstate NY where a drone supposedly has never stopped since its erection, and hopefully never will... talked to someone who went once, he said it was awesome... i think this might be it.

no reed does have a sense of humor sometimes. (as well as a scat fetish if a friend of mine who was part of the NYC 70s scene is not, all puns intended, full of shit :D :D :D)

EDIT: don't know WHAT Laurie Anderson saw in him... it was probably a political marriage.

Last edited:

whatever

reed is obviously the least interesting, intelligent, sonically creative member of the velvets.
what silliness you utter, but I'm not at all surprised

at least u didn't say "LOU REED LIKE ALL OTHER MUSICAL PHENOMENA IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE REALLY CAME FROM AFRICA"

but u probably will :D

whatever

Must admit that I am surprised by the hostility

compared to enormous amounts of abstract music popular these days (noise, electronica, electroacoustic, wotever), Metal Machine Music is quite tame, even melodic in whole vast sections. I don't listen to it very often, but I certainly do not find it objectionable - it's the direct precursor to a lot of abstract music, what's the problem? People poo themselves over drumm's work but hate this ? i don't get it . it's tame and almost ambient in parts and anyone who believes Reed's schtick that it's not a carefully constructed piece of music is one gullible fecker ...

whatever

k, two more cents' worth, nomad-stylee -

if you lived through/were interested in the avant in the 70s & 80s, it's a classic . you don't have to like it, 'course. but it's a classic for good reason, and easily holds up to drop-the-needle real time scrutiny in discussion & analysis, which is why plenty of folks still take it seriously (i'm no huge fan but just sayin' that its place in music history is not unjustified, at all )

interesting maybe / maybe not that it was designed in part to have exactly the response that DannyL provides here down to the letter: righteous consumer indignation, OH THE OUTRAGE! THE INDIGNATION! HOW COULD HE! etc at someone having made a record such as this

kicks the shit out of that eno crap, btw , in fact there's a thread right there : brits suck up eno's farts while nyers were chewing on MMM and sister ray and suicide ... i know which one i'd choose if i had to do it again !

Last edited: