Microsoft Songsmith

BareBones

wheezy
Surprised there hasn't been a thread on this yet. In case you haven't heard about it already, Songsmith is a new bit of microsoft software, where the user sings something into a microphone, and songsmith spits out a ridiculously chirpy keyboard-demo style tune to accompany it. Tons of people on youtube have been putting the vocals from classic pop songs into it and seeing what comes out. Most of them are (unsurprisingly) a complete mess, but these are my personal favs so far:

The Police - Roxanne (sounds exactly like koopa beach music in mariokart)

Soulja Boy - Crank That

And this is an advert for it, which (i think) is real, even though it seems like a horrifying joke, a cynical pastiche of some 1950s advert for chocolate muffins or something. It's almost as horrifying as this old Windows 95 instructional video featuring matthew perry and jennifer aniston.

BareBones

wheezy
Check out the Nirvana 'In Bloom' one, that is also extremely jarring. White Wedding sounds pretty special though.

Must throw some ragga acapellas in there and see what happens.

i think you can get a free demo of songsmith, so please, please try this.

swears

preppy-kei
Is this any use for working out chord sequences in songs? 'Cause I wanna do some remixes with acapellas I've got, but I know jack-shit about musical theory. Can I use songsmith to work out the key/chords, make a note of them, cut the acapealla up into bar-sized chunks and then make my remix with something else?

Or are there better programs for that anyway?

Numbers

Not sure but from the commercial it seems so.

I read about this program on Gizmo some days ago, but I didn't know about this instant-remixes. My favs sofar:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And winner:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The combination of auto-tune and auto-instrumentation is almost obscene.

BareBones

wheezy
i have no idea if you can do that with songsmith. I also know nothing about music theory/keys/any of that, the way i normally do what you're describing is going through an octave on a keyboard until finding the note that you can quite clearly hear is the right one.

swears

preppy-kei
i have no idea if you can do that with songsmith. I also know nothing about music theory/keys/any of that, the way i normally do what you're describing is going through an octave on a keyboard until finding the note that you can quite clearly hear is the right one.

Well, I do know a tiny bit: the basics of scales, chords, octaves, keys, etc... (Which I learned from using Fruityloops, haha)

What I thought might be interesting is to see if the program assigns an entirely new sequence of chords to the original song that still fit. Kind of like having random permutations of new parts that you can edit down and mess around with until you get something really cool.

BareBones

wheezy
Well, I do know a tiny bit: the basics of scales, chords, octaves, keys, etc... (Which I learned from using Fruityloops, haha)

What I thought might be interesting is to see if the program assigns an entirely new sequence of chords to the original song that still fit. Kind of like having random permutations of new parts that you can edit down and mess around with until you get something really cool.

oh right, igetcha. Yeah, i think it does that - well, it seems to from listening to those clips. Most of the time they're in key (apart from some of the really jarring ones like nirvana or oasis).

mixed_biscuits

Musicianship also better than any Radio 1 Live Lounge cover would provide, even allowing for the occasional moments when Mr Yorke wanders off key.