Reynolds on Middlebrow

Tweak Head

Good article by Mr Reynolds in the Guardian. (Don't be put off by the haters in the comments, Simon ... you'll find that the Guardian comment pages are full of ignorant shits.)

I wonder if this perception as middlebrow (and thus, for some, as not worthy of interest or acclaim) is also what happened to Burial's 2nd album. The first album was a critical triump, top of every poll, including The Wire's. The second was nowhere, even though it is (IMHO) just as good, though less surprising because it had a precedent. Is there any single song on the 1st that touches "Archangel" from the 2nd?

My 2nd post about Reynolds today. I'm not stalking you, honestly!

crackerjack

Had this bookmarked to read for a week or two now.

surprised what yoou say about Burial's 2nd album - maybe it was nowhere in The Wire, but Mercury nom and lots of other end-of-year lists. Maybe you just mean exclusively highbrow publications/sites. Which others do you mean?

Tweak Head

Yes, I should have been clearer: I meant highbrow publications/sites that loved the first album but ignored the second, the Wire being the prime example. I'm sure it was because of the Mercury nomination that it didn't even get mentioned.

Also, just saw the other middlebrow thread ... where Burial is mentioned. D'oh.

Tweak Head

I stand corrected. My apologies to the Wire. :rolleyes:

Also, since I'm clarifying, I didn't mean that everyone on the Guardian comment pages is an ignorant shit. There are some very perceptive posters there. But there are a lot of shits as well.

Now I'll get my coat.

straight

wings cru
thing with the wire is it gives it will maybe feature an album review then maybe an interview, it never really gets to the cheerleading that gossipy mags do. If it ever does feature artists month in month out its because they are releasing records all the time, being involved in live operations or an active musical cross pollination and burial isn't any of these.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Does Burial need anymore column inches, surely not ?

Good to see an intelligent music article in the Guardian. Since they decided to move into music journalism it was novel for a while until you realise they talk balls about alot of quite bad music. Get their Guaridan Music Monthly and you'll see what i'm on about. Their critical faculties seem generally down on the web site also. They seem to be a hype machine just as much as NME.