Gang Gang Dance fire

Leo

from GGD...luckily no one hurt but pretty devastating...:

OUR TOUR CANCELLED DUE TO FIRE....
hello all......very sad news from GGD camp today. We are in Amsterdam after having played the first of what was meant to be 14 shows in Europe and the UK. Last nights show was really great and a big thank you to everyone that came out for it....we had a blast, but unfortunately our morning was a bit tragic. We stored our gear in the club last night and when we arrived there today to pick it up and head off to Brussels for tonights show, we were informed that an electrical fire had occurred in the very room where our stuff was stashed.

We didnt really know the scope of how bad the fire was until we arrived on the scene to find every piece of equipment we own scattered out in the parking lot...melted, charred, and still smoldering. Most of our gear is way beyond repair and the small amount of stuff that looks as if it wasnt physically destroyed by the fire itself has all been doused by the firehoses. So we have been left with synths that are melted, a charred guitar, cases full of wet pedals and cables, drums that are nothing but the metal rims, amps that look as if they've been doused in tar...the list goes on.

It is really devastating for us as our equipment is very specific and without it we cant do much of anything. Most of our memory cards for our samplers melted so we've lost a bunch of jams that we were really looking forward to playing for you all. While we did entertain the thought of just renting or borrowing a bunch of random gear and somehow continuing the tour and just improvising every night, it just doesn't seem like its going to work out. While it would be fun and we'd love to stick this out for everyone that was excited to see us, we feel like we came to perform a certain set of songs and if we cant do that then its probably best to just come back again when we have the necessary gear to do so.

On top of that we are stuck here in Amsterdam until we are able to meet with the insurance company that is dealing with the fire, if we were to leave then we would risk losing out on the compensation that will be necessary for us to build our equipment back up.

As i said its all really devastating and we wish nothing more then to be in Brussels tonight (we were super excited about that show!) and to be able to continue on with our tour, but there is really no way for that to happen given the circumstances.
We are hoping to come back asap and make up for all this and we really want to thank everyone who bought tickets and everyone who was planning on coming out to the shows on this tour. It looked as if it was going to be one of our best yet thanks to y'all.......
See you when the smoke clears. peace and respect------GGD

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
oh man. shit really does happen don't it. time to just relax and smoke some good ganja gang gang!

polystyle

Or someone already did light up - too close to the equipment room ...
One never knows what can happen out on the road, unfortunately.
Agree with their decision to stop instead of cobbling together gear that is rough.
But better stranded in Amsterdam then Brussels I say.
Don't lose your heads GGD, just head over to the next Bulldog or 'cafe' of choice ,
as Zhao said.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yeah, just heard about this too as we were supposed to support them at an Rough Trade East instore. Wouldnt wish this on anyone. :(

Leo

wonder if this will impact their future sound? the fresh start/clean slate, however sad at the time, can sometimes chart a different course. then again, i remember there being speculation that sonic youth might do a rethink after all their gear was stolen a few years back, but i don't know if i noticed any dramatic shift.

polystyle

Possibly Leo, and I'm not so up on the GGD sounds and samples array- what's stored where and how, unless they have backups of the sounds from their last release,
might be hard for them to do those tunes.
They seem to have accumulated and built to this point rather carefully, so it's possibly a real loss for them.
Sonic Yoof ?, yeah I wish they had an internal 'restart' button so as to say ... something.
:cool:

rosebeast

It's tragic. I imagine the loss of their memory cards will probably be the worst thing of all for them. It's such a shame as well because people were really hyped to see them do their thing what with the new album and all.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Gah, sucks a lot. I guess what they say about "new jams" on the samplers suggests they do have backups or means to access the sounds for tracks they've released...

Was talking yesterday with music-making friends about how we meticulously back stuff up, but keep it all at our own homes... which of course means we're totally susceptible to something like a fire. We're instigating a backup-swapping regime, where we stash stuff at each others' places. :)