Throwing Muses

martin

----
After the incredibly successful Monochrome Set thread - any Throwing Muses fans on here? Their first LP and especially "The Real Ramona" LP are pretty fucking faultless. Didn't really like Belly or Kristin Hersh's solo stuff but they pissed all over Nirvana, Mudhoney and Soundgarden (which admittedly wasn't hard)

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
ahhhh that first album is just so out there- Hersh's voice and lyrics just terrifying and devestating original and unique. Real Ramona was incredible too and i enjoyed her first solo album. i totally lost touch after that- blame it on the pills, strangers and shiny lights :D

whatever

Didn't really like Belly or Kristin Hersh's solo stuff but they pissed all over Nirvana, Mudhoney and Soundgarden (which admittedly wasn't hard)
belly pissed all over nirvana u say? ahahahabwahhahahahabfhhhhahahahhhhsbwafahhhha

"hot hands move things I write on his wall I have no mind at all. hot things move him
I write on his wall I have no heart at all . I think she's a pretty little fool she holds me down, she flows , she has a back like marie".

not bad once, kinda twisted up by fbook tho now lol

jenks

thread death
Mad keen about Throwing Muses. Saw them play around about the time of Hunkpapa at Camberidge Corn Exchange with Band of Susans supporting - phenomenally watchable band with a great mix of messy noisy guitars and sunburst choons.

Hook in her Head and Mania probably my two favourite tracks.

Love that line 'why don't you to my insight what you do to my insides?'

and that first solo thing - your ghost was excellent too.

i could go on but i feel i'm shouting into the void!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Really loved Your Ghost, and Belly's first album was fantastic. Tanya Donnelly really channels that cutesy/creepy crossover. -Ness.

Back on Throwing Muses, Red Heaven was about the first CD I ever bought. Gotta love Dio with Bob Mould.

And while we're on early-90s American indie non-grunge bands, does anyone else share my love for Sugar and Bob Mould's supreme songwriting skills? A truly great lost band - JC Auto is immense.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Copper Blue!

Yep, it is a damn fine track - to me, their use of synths on that album was as incongruous and wonderful at that time in US indie, as Pulp would be when they entered the British mainstream two years later (listened to His n Hers for the first time in years last night, and was wonderfully surprised by how dark some of it still felt)...yet don't suppose there are too many Pulp fans round these parts either....maybe I'm wrong?

martin

----
don't suppose there are too many Pulp fans round these parts either....maybe I'm wrong?

One here.

I'm probably being harsh on Kristin Hersh / Belly, is Hips n Makers worth investigating further then? I bought it for an ex years ago, but never really got into it - but that was, what, 15 years ago?

Zhao - if you need 'permission' to derail, you just weren't born to do it.

STN

sou'wester
Listerine is such a tune.

I am going to derail by listing my top three most indiest words: 'natch', 'thang' and 'frapping off' (was never quite sure what this one meant, to me it sounds like something you'd do with strawberrues).

Anyone remember Dawn of the Replicants?

mos dan

fact music
Listerine is such a tune.

I am going to derail by listing my top three most indiest words: 'natch', 'thang' and 'frapping off' (was never quite sure what this one meant, to me it sounds like something you'd do with strawberrues).

Anyone remember Dawn of the Replicants?

!!! YES !!! it's just as well i have to go out immediately, or i would prob spend all day engaging in a discussion of/mocking/fondly recalling all things twee and indie.

is anyone going to the throwing muses atp? i can't face much atp music anymore, but lots of my mates are going.. hmm.

mos dan

fact music
okay one more thing before i run out the door:

'the amps were better than the pixies' - discuss.

please write on both sides of the paper. if you have a question raise your hand and wait for an invigilator to come to you.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Husker Du were better than the pixies - now that doesn't even need elaborate justification. Just a copy of Zen Arcade.