The best "The 12" Versions" re: 80s retro, post punk, dance music etc..

Buick6

too punk to drunk
The best "The 12" Versions" re: 80s retro, post punk, dance music etc..

Since 80s retro is so cool with all the hipsters in New York and Oslo, I was just wondering if anyone has given credence to or collect "12 Inch version' or "Extended plays" of pop songs etc... I mean essentially they were remixes, but that was something new to Western music anyway during the 80s, the Jamaican influenced concept of the 'version/remix'..

Essentially they were just the orginal song with extended beat bits and the odd Failight hit for the discos/clubs..

One of the one's I liked was Burn for you by INXS and Midnight Oil's 'power and the passion' with the extended drum solo. I remember Culture CLub has a bit tacked onto 'do you really want to hurt me'

I was wonder if any of you guys have any others to add and am surprised none of the mash-up kings like Girl Talk or someone else does a set purely of 12" version and extended play tunes for the floor (maybe someone already has???)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-inch_single

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
well for one I suspect you're a little behind the times if you think the 80s are still hip, it's about to be 2010 surely it'll all be moving on to Native Tongues & grunge soon.

also; Frankie Goes Hollywood - Relax - there are a bunch of extended versions I think, the one I have is the "New York Mix" & it's great - almost like proto-house.

hint

party record with a siren
Some favourites I enjoy playing:

12" version of "Running Up That Hill"
Jellybean mix of Pointer Sisters "Automatic"
12" version of "Sound Of The Crowd"
John Morales & Sergio Munzibai mix of Class Action's "Weekend"
12" version of Kid Creole's "There But For The Grace Of God..."

Buick's right... this is what's hip / going to be hip right now. Not the "OMG mullets and dayglo socks LOL" 80's.

Greg Wilson on the Essential Mix a couple of weeks back.

People are making these kinds of edits again:

(Eli Escobar edit of Stevie Nicks)

Last edited:

crackerjack

Buick's right... this is what's hip / going to be hip right now. Not the "OMG mullets and dayglo socks LOL" 80's.

Greg Wilson on the Essential Mix a couple of weeks back.

People are making these kinds of edits again:

(Eli Escobar edit of Stevie Nicks)

Did they ever stop? Thought this stuff is/was hip for ages.

My choice:
Associates - Party fears 2 - cos sometimes 3 mins of perfection just isn't enough

IdleRich

IdleRich
For some reason I thought that there was a twelve inch mix of The Creepers' version of Baby's On Fire so I bought the twelve inch version as well as having the seven inch only to discover that it was exactly the same and takes up only about one inch on the record.

padraig (u.s.)

12" version of "Running Up That Hill"

Ashley Beedle recently (well, within the last yr or two) did a pretty fantastic edit of this as well - surprised me too cos I'm not a big fan of most of his work.

also re: edits haven't these been awfully hip for a while now, kind of the successor to "blog house" as it were, tons of people doing edits of shite MOR 70s stuff, easy listening, of course disco of all varieties, even some more avant stuff too - I've seen numerous edits of krautrock tunes floating around. unfortunately like aforementioned blog house most of 'em are pretty meh, though that whole nu-disco scene isn't really my thing.

hint

party record with a siren
Ashley Beedle recently (well, within the last yr or two) did a pretty fantastic edit of this as well - surprised me too cos I'm not a big fan of most of his work.

I only checked his version a couple of times, but it seemed to be too close to the original 12" edit for me to feel the need to pick it up.

also re: edits haven't these been awfully hip for a while now, kind of the successor to "blog house" as it were, tons of people doing edits of shite MOR 70s stuff, easy listening, of course disco of all varieties, even some more avant stuff too - I've seen numerous edits of krautrock tunes floating around. unfortunately like aforementioned blog house most of 'em are pretty meh, though that whole nu-disco scene isn't really my thing.

On the one hand it's a traditional process, making tracks more club and DJ-friendly. Picking out strong tracks and enhancing the good bits etc.

But we're living in a world where the word "remix" means something very different to what it meant in 1983. There's often an assumption that more has been done to the original than a simple re-edit job these days, but that's not necessarily the fault of the people doing the edits.

padraig (u.s.)

But we're living in a world where the word "remix" means something very different to what it meant in 1983. There's often an assumption that more has been done to the original than a simple re-edit job these days, but that's not necessarily the fault of the people doing the edits.

I mean specifically as a trend on the same kinds of blogs that hyped blog house type stuff. & also specifically as related to the whole nu-disco thing (Lindstrom, Todd Terje, etc.). as I said tho it's not really my thing, just most of the "edits" I've heard either 1) didn't improve on the original or 2) just weren't very good. there are exceptions, I quite liked Terje's edit of "I Want Your Love" a while back.

monkeytek

Hmmmmmm.... New Order "Video 586"!!!! It's 20 minutes long!
Originally, I had it on a Touch compilation cassette and was finally issued on 12 a few years back. It's an early instrumental version and is basically the drummer workin it out with some "techno machinery" on that 586 rhythm.

U-Basstard

tragic mix
Jamal Moss is a bit of a don for edits of 80's floor hits over the last couple of years, albeit with a more Chicago/Ron Hardy/Music Box centric style.

check his Members Only series http://www.discogs.com/label/Members+Only

and especially number 7, the edit of Frankie GTH's Welcome to the pleasuredome is mental!

or his more recent Medusa edits devoted to the Chi-town club of the same name with edits of New Order, The Cure, SPK and more. It's all a bit tougher and ferric ruff ;)

http://www.discogs.com/label/Medusa+Edits

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Since 80s retro is so cool with all the hipsters in New York and Oslo, I was just wondering if anyone has given credence to or collect "12 Inch version' or "Extended plays" of pop songs etc...
I remember a bunch of CD compilations of 80s 12" mixes a few years back. I remember more about the packaging than the names, so can't find any links... but, yeah, had a feeling they were huge.