K-punk stones Joss

mind_philip

saw the light
Two points:

1. I hear it more as a empty, sodden, 'messin wit mah maaahnd'.

2. She is a joke, and I really cannot understand how she has crept in below the trip-wires. How did this popular consensus, both critical and consumer, emerge that she has an incredible voice? It is flabby and indistinct, with all the edge of a lump of cookie dough. That voice came from the dressing up box.

appleblim

big up philip....

this brain-mashing tedium is beyond a joke now......

i work in a record shope and sometimes it seems all we need stock is joss stone, maroon 5, rod stewart and the acoustic complilations....very scary indeed

mind_philip

saw the light
And for those suggesting she's the next Dusty, is that a joke???

"Tha look, (wah wah) uv luv, is eeen yo aaahs, (wickywicky wah wah) tha look, yo smaaahl cayunt (wah wah) disgaaahs"

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Hmmmmm. Her vocals are a lot better than the virtusoso gospel-orgasmatron voice that many 'soul divas' adopt- at least Joss Stone has some luscious texture to her. Off course the critical consensus that she has an "incredible" voice is a false one, it's merely not offensively bad, but if Woebot can defend the indefensible Wyclef, surely one can stand up for Joss a little.... and Fell In Love With A Boy was actually not too bad I reckon.

mms

sometimes
hmm she sounds like a posh girl that smoked too many marlborough lights b4 choir if you ask me.

but yeah at least she doesnt perform vocal excercises as part of her set like alot of diva types

hint

party record with a siren
teenage girl wins TV talent show

label scrambles to sign her up

packs her off to U.S.A. to get some "authentic" tracks down

releases a kinda soul karaoke album with a production team on autopilot... bit of fun, good luck to her.

journos go over the top

second album comes along and they somehow manage to turn her into fucking anastasia! that's the worst part, I think... she's doomed. she's a nice enough girl who can hit notes without trying too hard. I just feel she's been pushed down a dead end from the word go. I envisage a future for her singing backing vocals for jools holland's big boogie woogie band or something.

kek-w

Hate the typography on her CD: is it the same/similar font to The Stooges. I keep subliminally seeing her LP in shops out of the corner of my eye and stop, thinking it's something good. Sunbliminal typography/design: damn those bastards to hell...

Woebot

Diggedy Derek said:
but if Woebot can defend the indefensible Wyclef, surely one can stand up for Joss a little.... and Fell In Love With A Boy was actually not too bad I reckon.
looks like you're on your own here derek :p

Woebot

one of the places i work just did a video for her which lachappelle shot. its a good video so i oughtnt be rude about her*. however i cant confess to finding her very interesting. shes not is she?

*tut tut i'll get in trouble....

B

be.jazz

K-Punk said:
You are not a thirtysomething year old black woman who has had some experience of life.

You are a fifteen yr old spoilt rotten white kid who really should be upstairs doing her homework.
"You shouldn't be doing this kind of music" criticism is possibly my least favourite kind. K-punk relies on the same criteria as the positive "Wow, an English white teenager doing soul!" reaction, which is pretty shallow, IMO. It also quite easily spirals off into stereotypes. I'm reminded of a discussion, years ago, at okayplayer.com that was touched off by a Japanese soul singer. And does the last part of the second sentence really mean anything?

mind_philip

saw the light
Woah there horsey, I never said I hated her, let alone passionately. She's just crap. There are lots of people who are crap, granted, but very few have a critical groundswell around them that insists on their brilliance. I don't actually agree with the 'life experience' attack, but I do think the little vocal inflections and accents sound like they have come out of a book rather than from any spontaneous 'feel' of how a line should be sung. This is essentially the same as all those Pop Idol divas who mangle every line with excessive chromatic runs, its just a little bit older than Mariah in its origins.

Woebot

paul said:
Hmmm...men in their twenties and thirties passionately hating a teenage girl singer - I wonder what that's all about?
it doesnt look like anyone is passionately hating on her paul. mark clearly doesnt like her (and i know you've an axe to grind with him). i guess its just possible you have a good point here, maybe you could flesh it out a bit. could you explain why you think it is some of the people heres age and sexuality might cloud their judgement about joss?

B

be.jazz

paul said:
Hmmm...men in their twenties and thirties passionately hating a teenage girl singer - I wonder what that's all about?
Is that worse than 40 year old fathers of two leering at an under-18 Britney?

I mildly like Stone. What I don't understand are the categories I see her placed in: Aretha Franklin and jazz singer. Would her voice be less "out of the dressing-up box" if she were black English?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
leave joss alone! i don't hate her, in fact i do think she has a decent voice (not always a ringing endorsement, incidentally). the thing in this argument that grates is that she's a white teenager, ergo incapable of soul. this is a red herring, as plenty of those within the accepted canon of soul really arent very "soulful" by these narrow definitions. take al green for instance. saying she shouldn't be making belters because she's white is a bit like saying "al, you're black - shout more!" then again i liked jamie cullum's version of frontin' so don't listen to me.

Last edited:

mind_philip

saw the light
I'll state again, my dislike of her voice has nothing to do with her being a white girl in a traditionally black genre, its just that her voice is rubbish. There are plenty of black singers like Ashanti etc who pull the same soul vocal by numbers bullshit and are just as offensive, but they aren't pushed in my face as much, hence they get less of the bile.

I don't love her and I certainly don't hate her. I do feel a bit sorry for her though, being put through the music biz mangle when she could perhaps have better developed with a less calculating marketing campaign.
But she is bland. Really, really bland.

JimO'Brien

Come on lads - don't get too excited. Joss Stone will be but a distant memory in a caouple of years. I can remember when Alison Moyet was being hailed as a great soul voice. Even Paul Young was being hailed as a great singer at the time.They have gone now and so shall she.

mind_philip

saw the light
JimO'Brien said:
Come on lads - don't get too excited. Joss Stone will be but a distant memory in a caouple of years. I can remember when Alison Moyet was being hailed as a great soul voice. Even Paul Young was being hailed as a great singer at the time.They have gone now and so shall she.

That would be supah-doopah