is MIA really that in tune with the hottest sounds?

gumdrops

i mean, much as i love the stuff ive heard of her, theres something about her sonics, and some of the rhythms in her work that make me think whoever has produced this has been sourcing say, decade old ragga and dancehall, rather than anything more recent. theres something about the sampler ive heard that makes me think this could have been made in 1991.

S

simon silverdollar

i think one reason a lot of people say that she's taking elements from cutting edge street music stuff (for good or bad) is the piracy funds terrorism thing she did with diplo which has a lot of favela/baile funk on it.
but yeah, the stuff on her xl album doesn't seem as cutting edge to me. still really fun though. i like her.

gumdrops

yeah, i love her still. but although i like how theres so much global territory covered in her music, it doesnt seem that state of the art, if only sonically speaking. its kinda like a melange of older styles of currently popular music (no bad thing though, i love all the stuff shes working with, it seems a lot less abrasive and harsh then newer dancehall as far as the JA influence in her work).

im tempted to say its the classic template of people from outside urban or 'ethnic' music picking it up and running away with it after its been dropped or considered slightly passe or no longer cutting edge by its original audience. but the fact MIA isnt white obviously makes this new ground, somewhat.

steve-k

In a Sunday issue of the NY Times a short while back they listed what she's currently listening to--it looked pretty hip and au courant to me... Let me try to find it ( I think the NY Times charges for archive items)

S

simon silverdollar

luka said:
i wonder if she reads blissout.bogspot.com

probably.
i hope she isn't upset by it all.

she's one the good ones, really.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Er, as far as the Blissblog post goes, I can't really see the point that Simon Reynolds is trying to make. The name of the album is some personal reference rather than a political one, and as such a perfectly normal album title. And as far as the fake/real thing goes, who gives a shit either way? If you don't think she's 'saying' anything, although she purports to, then...er....so what? It might be irritating should one ever meet the woman, but on a listening level....

As for the article, I thought there were a great group of references there, and I think she was comparing Fwd to Fight the Power on a sonic level - both of them are thoroughly visceral grooves which have the same kind of 'what the fuck?' effect on first-time listeners. I really don't think she was comparing the lyrical matter of the songs.

For the record, I find what I've heard of MIA's stuff to be pretty underwhleming. Nice minimalism and beats, but her voice grates a bit.

catalog

I watched the documentary on her a few weeks ago, thought it was pretty good. Something has always stopped me from actually enjoying her music tho. Too screechy. But I like the odd one, like the take your money one.

Good bit in the film where she goes to see afrikan boy at his mums flat. I remember that lidl track, loved it at the time

Last edited: