Good USB interface for DJing with Live

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Quick question for you – I have a DJ gig coming up and I want to do it in Ableton. Does anyone have any recommendations for a USB audio interface that will be reliable and sound good?

USB cos I will probably do it off my old laptop PC, but may get a MacBook in future.

All pointers and recommendations gratefully accepted.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
My budget is preferably around £100 just for a little audio out box.

Though I might just get a PCMCIA Echo Indigo DJ and stick that in the PC, keep it going for a bit.

ether

You should be able to get something for around £100.
I wouldn't recommend anything beringher or edirol, tapco stuffs usually ok (mackies, cheapo brand) The m-audio stuff sounds ok, but it wont last, Mine blew up after about years worth of use.

If you can stretch to it Native Instruments Audio 4 DJ (looks sturdy and good for gigging)

Shame it has to be usb, i'd recomend the focusrite saphire, though pricey I've seen these gigged alot.

There a few years old but I Think I'm about to pick up a digidesign mbox 1, these go for about £120 on ebay, they run of usb have focusrite pre's and allow you to run protools, it all depends on how many ins and outs you need though.

hope this is of some help

e.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
thanks ether. it looks like if people are fairly serious they use one of the Echo DJ things.

I suppose I could always get the PCMCIA ones for the PC and flog it if/ when I get a MacBook... though they don't have expresscard slots, aargh!

Benny Bunter

Hey, I hope you're gonna record this gig and share it, I'd really like to hear a live Grievous Angel set. Bet I'm not the only one...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
LOL, thanks! Might record the ableton thing. if Rubi spits with me - he might, heatwave are playing the same night - it'd be good to get him too...

zhao

there are no accidents
for the ableton users:

how many songs you have in your set?

do you use one master set for everything or use separate little sets?

i ask because i have been using one mega set with 1300+ tunes in it for about 2 years now, never had problems before but recently couldn't open the file -- it would freeze up and crash.

tried it again and it did open and i'm going to break it down to 2 or 3 smaller sets.

but the problem with that is a lot of material is cross over, and i want to have them for almost any occasion. it's a drag if you have to stop the audio to open up another set on stage...

anyone else with similar experience or concern?

gyto

zhao: you may already know this but: you can save chunks of ur set by selecting them and dragging to a folder on the browser on the side. if you do this with groups of styles, tempos etc u can drag these playlists into any set any time without stopping the music.

hope this is helpful