Peter Gabriel

STN

sou'wester
Is he any good? I know almost nothing about him, other than that he was in Genesis (not a great start, obviously).

Benny Bunter

Know fuck all about him either but I can say I've got a soft spot for "Don't give up" with Kate Bush. More to do with Kate though obviously...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I was quite obsessed with his music as a teenager, but can't really tolerate it now. Seems pretty "worthy" and dull, generally. But if you have any specific questions, sadly I can probably answer them. ;)

Outside his pop albums he got some (justified, IMO) praise in certain circles for 'Passion', the expanded soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ. It's probably not exactly appropriate for the settings of that movie, with all kinds of weird amalgams of West African music, North African / Moorish type stuff, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan doing Qawalli singing over massive surging drones, etc.

Gabriel gets a lot of shit for being big into "world music" (in the least charitable sense) but he at least attempted what sounds like genuine synthesis of a whole lot of influences into his own music, rather than just doing 'Graceland'.

He's certainly done nothing worth looking into since 'Passion', which, from memory, was 1991.

jenks

thread death
See, I really like those early Genesis albums with Gabriel.

And those three solo albums.

Don't expect anyone else to agree with me on this and I don't really care.

I'm off to listen to Supper's Ready...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Yup, I'm with you.

I quote like 'em when Chester Thompson takes over the drumming too.

Paul, if you haven't heard Genesis' Seconds Out, which is a late period live LP, you really should.

Well, Carpet Crawlers at least - mentally good prog.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Solo Gabriel - start with the Bomb Squad remix of Sledgehammer and work out from there. Lots of self indulgent wank but plenty of choooooons.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Yup, I'm with you.

I quote like 'em when Chester Thompson takes over the drumming too.

Paul, if you haven't heard Genesis' Seconds Out, which is a late period live LP, you really should.

Well, Carpet Crawlers at least - mentally good prog.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Solo Gabriel - start with the Bomb Squad remix of Sledgehammer and work out from there. Lots of self indulgent wank but plenty of choooooons.

First few solo albums are OK, although the first one is a bit overproduced. Bob Ezrin was using the same tricks he had used on Lou Reed's "Berlin" and Alice Cooper's early '70s albums; but what worked for Alice and Lou did not work out that well for PG I think.
Compare the version of "Here Comes the Flood" of Robert Fripp's "Exposure" album versus the one on PG's first solo to get the idea.

The second one (aka "Scratch") is my favourite, probably because it was the first one I got.

whatever

selling england by the pound is a great prog record, u herd it here .

i am serious btwz

also donut forget gabriel's 'i wear giant flowers on my head onstage' costume period w genesis , shit is wac

whatever

wasnt it gabes who introduced kate to the synclavier, thus resulting in a ( great fking ) record ( hounds of luv ) with no cymbals or hi-hats ?

if true , this is more than enough to save him ! hounds of love ! the dreaming ! i mean ... !

sledgehammer was pretty hot for rock radio back in teh day , too , gotta admit

in his histroical context , gabriel was vry solid , and he pushed fwd in his own way

early solo records were good , for sure (jenks!) , hv no idea if they aged well tho ... been ages

he did good things for traditional musicians too , this is documnted

empty mirror

remember the jackalope

And those three solo albums.

Don't expect anyone else to agree with me on this and I don't really care.

I'm off to listen to Supper's Ready...
yes this. those first three nameless solo records are good.
and yeah bush + gabriel is good: games without frontiers comes to mind
and of course, gabriel era genesis is good stuff though it has taken an effort, to be honest, to get into it
lamb lays down on broadway!

michael

Bring out the vacuum
wasnt it gabes who introduced kate to the synclavier, thus resulting in a ( great fking ) record ( hounds of luv ) with no cymbals or hi-hats ?

if true , this is more than enough to save him ! hounds of love ! the dreaming ! i mean ... !
Yep yep, actually a Fairlight if you care about such things. It's all over PG's third and fourth records too along with the omnipresent Linn Drum drum machine - very weird-sounding productions indeed. Accounts of zillions of metres of tape being churned through as he mixed and remixed those albums to death.

KB sings backing on two songs off the third album, as well as Don't Give Up off 'So', mentioned above. (According to some biography I read, PG actually wanted a country singer to duet on that one... can't remember who... Bush was his second choice, anyway)

There's also some (weird) dispute over whether Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins developed the effect "gated reverb". I think the first recording using that effect on drums (c.f. that drum break off In The Air Tonight) is Phil drumming on Gabriel's Intruder.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
^ Really it's this kind of stuff that has since put me off the guy... duets with Laurie Anderson, Kate Bush, Youssou N'Dour... All very establishment, worthy artiness. The kind of thing where an advertising exec might say "bit edgy".

DJ PIMP

Gated Reverb, according to wackypedia:

The first known use of this technique was by recording engineer Rudy Van Gelder on the 1976 album Velvet Darkness by jazz fusion guitarist Allan Holdsworth.[citation needed] The drummer on this recording was Narada Michael Walden.

The most copied first use of this technique was on the 1977 David Bowie album, Low.

The gated reverb effect began being used in popular music during the 1980s. Producer Mutt Lange was a pioneer at drenching the recorded drum sound in gated reverb. An early and prominent use of gated reverb was in Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins and Hugh Padgham's production of the third Peter Gabriel solo album.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gated_reverb

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Sounds like both those dicks fucked it up then. Read some bitchy comments from each in that biography of Peter Gabriel I read :)eek::eek::eek::eek: etc.)

craner

Beast of Burden
Ha ha ha ha ha. Hee hee ho ho snort. Peter Gabriel. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

(Craner falls off chair, gets rushed to A&E.)

whatever

u call that a 'destruction' ? hahaha that's funny u must have gradduated frum the school of reel gud argumentaiotion

cute but meaningless prattle is more like it , no ? the guy says notthing about the music ( wuld it be 2 much to ask for a uk music dude to talk about actual musics for once ? ) , only they're funny=looking english public school boys in costumes they're CUNTS, there is an AIR OF TWATTISNESS , etc ,
ppl, plz, u know i am jus playin )