help - mac nightmare!

xero

was minusone
i just used font book for the first time on osx 10.3 and just brought in a few new fonts - now there is some problem with one of the fonts which just displays special characters instead of normal letters - look what it does to dissensus people's names frinstance - this happens on some web pages & some emails so i can't even read them - any mac heads know what's going on?

nomos

Administrator
ok, just a guess here. but maybe one of the fonts you imported somehow replaced one of your system fonts.

looking at the dissensus style sheet, the site seems to use whichever of the followng are on a user's machine:

verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica

i guess the first thing i would do is go into Font Book and see if all of those fonts are working properly. if one of them is corrupt, maybe i could send you a copy.

you might also make sure that your computer's language hasn't been set to something exotic.

good luck

frenchcurve0

Try this...

Hi,

I think I had the identical problem you had. It was a while ago, but I think what I did was delete the helvetica d.font. Click on the helvetica fonts in your list and it may show up in a sub-list.

good luck!

xero

was minusone
thanks people - spot on, normal helvetica has somehow been replaced by helvetica cyrillic. font book is a tidy utility but why the fuck is it so sloooow when you do anything involving more than a couple of fonts?