Current Dancehall

faustus

seeing as the 'classic dancehall' thread is ticking over, can we have one for recent stuff?

seems like a good time to, vado's new album out, new ragga ragga ragga comp (which is nothing on last years), and heatwave on rinse...

my first three cents:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

viktorvaughn

What i like about dancehall (and reggae too i guess) is that running under all the predicatble (though endlessly entertaining) topics of minting yourself, repping yourself, sufferation in the ghetto, chasing pumpum, the various evils of babylon, the one glory of Sellassie I and the brilliance of smoking herb there are weird really off-kilter moments of humour. Tiger's crazy delivery, Beenie Man (i think) when he repeats lines with the words in the backwards just for the hell of it (its amazing and totally recalls JME's deliberate Spoonerist bars for me (par cark, phonebile mone etc), General Mackerel and his horse crew's insane outfits (plus elephant man and early buju etc crazy big pants), strange cod-classical flourishes or operatic motifs, the amazing non-sequiters of Papa Levi's Mi God Mi King and more I’m sure we could think of.

It all creates an air of wacky and very non self-conscious experimentation (IE people doing wacky stuff in their bars cos it sounds amazing and most importantly is FUN, not to be wacky in itself) and really reminds me of grime in this manner. I don’t think of hiphop like this... I can’t think of many hiphop MC with the same sillyness of wordplay (OK I guess MF Doom?) like Trim or these dancehall guys. There is of course brilliant wordplay but it’s a bit more serious and calculated to my ears – either pretty obviously arty/experimental like APC or woven into serious narratives (whether serious in terms of gangsta storytelling or political posturing/ polemicism) like the great stylists Rakim, Kool G Rap, Mobb Deep, Chuck D etc.

NB - This could be utter nonsense.:p

Client Eastwood

^^ i know what your saying about grime and dancehall lyrics, so any excuse to watch this again.

rap fan : 'im repping all the real school blah blah . .. '
jammer : 'shadap shadap shadap . . .'

creases me up every time

faustus

bay c - like a drum (war trumpet riddim)

faustus

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
What i like about dancehall (and reggae too i guess) is that running under all the predicatble (though endlessly entertaining) topics of minting yourself, repping yourself, sufferation in the ghetto, chasing pumpum, the various evils of babylon, the one glory of Sellassie I and the brilliance of smoking herb there are weird really off-kilter moments of humour. Tiger's crazy delivery, Beenie Man (i think) when he repeats lines with the words in the backwards just for the hell of it (its amazing and totally recalls JME's deliberate Spoonerist bars for me (par cark, phonebile mone etc), General Mackerel and his horse crew's insane outfits (plus elephant man and early buju etc crazy big pants), strange cod-classical flourishes or operatic motifs, the amazing non-sequiters of Papa Levi's Mi God Mi King and more I’m sure we could think of.

It all creates an air of wacky and very non self-conscious experimentation (IE people doing wacky stuff in their bars cos it sounds amazing and most importantly is FUN, not to be wacky in itself) and really reminds me of grime in this manner. I don’t think of hiphop like this... I can’t think of many hiphop MC with the same sillyness of wordplay (OK I guess MF Doom?) like Trim or these dancehall guys. There is of course brilliant wordplay but it’s a bit more serious and calculated to my ears – either pretty obviously arty/experimental like APC or woven into serious narratives (whether serious in terms of gangsta storytelling or political posturing/ polemicism) like the great stylists Rakim, Kool G Rap, Mobb Deep, Chuck D etc.

NB - This could be utter nonsense.:p

No I think it's very on the mark. One of the big reasons grime is hard to break over into North America is because such a big part of the music is this very essentially British tongue-in-cheek humour. North American hip hop is very serious business for the most part, so when people here hear Tempa T talking about dragging curtain rails from the wall, they think it is stupid for not being "serious".

Grime to me is much closer to dancehall than it is to hip hop, and this is another one of the reasons.

Catbwoy

new ragga ragga ragga comp (which is nothing on last years)

I thought the new one was fcking dire. I hate vocoder vocals (while loving hardcore style chipmunk vocals, hmm) and this comp seems to be full of 'em. It's the first Ragga Ragga Ragga in about 5 years I haven't loved.

petergunn

plywood violin
yeah, not feeling excessive autotune... also, not feeling the general production feel of most dancehall these days... WAY to much "epic" fake orchestral plug-in bullshit... it sounds corny to me...

faustus

I thought the new one was fcking dire. I hate vocoder vocals (while loving hardcore style chipmunk vocals, hmm) and this comp seems to be full of 'em. It's the first Ragga Ragga Ragga in about 5 years I haven't loved.

yeah same. its a shame especially because the selection on 2008 was brilliant. 'flying dagger' is such a great tune tho

gumdrops

i thought that heatwave mix was fun, but alot of the autotuney vocals and eurohousey sounds in the riddims arent really doing much for me.

faustus