what music do you 'return' to?

gumdrops

i dunno if ive done this post before but i was reading some book by a certain well known music journo who talked about rock being what he 'returns to' even though he loves dance music etc. and after spending a lot of time absorbed in grime, funky, bits of dubstep and uk dance music in general, ive found i needed some respite from all that, as theres certain qualities you just dont get in those genres. so ive found myself listening to more hip hop (storytelling, 'content', 'songs') and old soul (warmth, 'grooves' funk, etc) and other stuff from my childhood just for a bit of nostalgia (though too much nostalgia is a very bad move). im prob missing various new tunes but its just too much to listen to at times and sometimes you need a break from the cutting edge (even its perhaps a bit more blunted than it used to be - actually maybe thats also why i want a break) to appreciate it.

what music dyou lot return to then?

(funnily enough i read melissa bradshaws blog where she talked about the same thing, but found that respite in beyonce lol).

Ory

warp drive
late 90's prog trance a la sasha-digweed-oakenfold. a lot of it is quite dark/melancholic, in a dreamy way.

etc.

still some of the best music I know, but I assume it's not too popular around here. :eek:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Depends what you grew up with (between 14-20, or thereabouts) in my opinion. So, for me, very obvious indie/classic rock/canonical soul, like The Smiths, Sugar, Marvin Gaye, Dexy's....

Oh, and Bowie. Always Bowie.

zhao

there are no accidents
this thread is in danger of becoming "your favorite teenage bands" :eek:

what i find interesting is the nostalgia for a time when you were not alive, and that unmistakable "home" feeling that i get from sounds of places ive never even been close to.

Benny Bunter

Rave music for me. I was 10-11 in 1992 and my favourite bands were the Prodigy, KLF, Altern-8 (whatever was in the charts at that time basically) and my older sister's tapes she bought at raves. I then 'grew up' and went off down the Indie route for years, but I can't ever imagine returning to Oasis and Blur now...

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
this thread is in danger of becoming "your favorite teenage bands"...

that's funny cos I never, never listen to any of those bands. for me, Amebix, Crass, Discharge, Nausea & so on (essentially more obscure versions of the same). that was all I listened to from 13~19 & while they all have a place in my heart I feel quite strongly that I never need to listen to another D-beat or chanted peacepunk rant (unless it's live, I go the odd show now & again, especially if some superawesome Japanese band is flying in or something).

I like this idea of returning to places you've never been tho.

moolac

prince, george clinton, hip hop, reggae, disco, synth boogie, soul mainly. more human music than what i normally listen to when in clubs or day to day... "stuff with words", heh.

ive gone off a lot music i was into as a youngster (12-15) as that started with happy hardcore/hardcore, and i was buying records so it ended with me selling most of them (which i occasionally regret now).

mms

sometimes
eternally return to reggae, chicago house, old jungle, kraftwerk, ymo, and pre 90's hip hop, prince and parliament, can and miles/the coltranes etc. stuff i've liked forever and ever.
return to forever - children of forever.weird electronicky avant guard stuff.

Last edited:

crackerjack

old soul/R&B, vocal reggae, pop and 'classic' rock (Neil Young constantly) and these days early house and techno

old music > new music (yeah, yeah, i know, but it's true)

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Punk and post-punk
Jazz, especially 50s stuff
American folk
60s British rock/beat groups

Often I have to really force myself to listen to new and unfamiliar things, but at them moment I've been enjoying the fact that I've barely felt the need to drag anything old out of the collection in a while.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
It's getting slated elsewhere on this MB but Miles' Kind of Blue never disappoints when I dust off my copy.

Lately I've been investigating early 90s hardcore after reading Energy Flash. I HATED that car-alarm shit when it was came out. I was a metalhead through and through back then. It's weird because when I listen to harcore I hear music that sounds both fresh (to these ears) and brings back memories at the same time.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Droney stuff, Lamonte Young and Terry Riley and Main and things like that. Things I used to play when I thought I was clever.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I'm much younger than the majority of you so I guess I still might grow out of it, but so far: Black metal.

nah - actually I reckon we're probably around the same age tho (that is, somewhat younger than the many venerable elders of Dissensus) - but come to think of it I listen to old black metal pretty consistently as well. especially Burzum, early Satyricon, Dictius Te Necare, the first Dissection album...it's weird how timeless some of that stuff is, it's like jungle where there are all these very prominent elements that should date it very badly but somehow the vision is so singular & focused that it transcends them.