DJ Premierrrrr!!!!

DavidD

can't be stopped
So-jocked but in my mind those 2 second looped chopped NYC drum bangers from the mid-90s are crack, that shit that makes even the most mediocre group home MCs listenable and yeah so anyway I guess this is a sort of S/D for Premo tracks thread.

What inspired this was Pitch Black's "Got It Locked" and DITC's "Thick" and a gang of Gang Starr records (I know a lot of ppl don't rate Guru but I like him, not love him, but I think he's certainly got his own thing going that works perfectly w Premo's jazzier styles, where a cat like Jeru works with the harder tunnel banging stuff).

anyway, discuss.

Primo.jpg

nocallsforpremier.jpg

luka

mmmm, premier...
ain't the devil happy (jeru)
come clean (jeru)
6th sense (common)
above the clouds (gangstarr)
average n____ (jeru)
mass appeal (gangstarr)
suckas need bodyguards (gangstarr)
new york state of mind (nas)
i am (nas)

i'll think of some more later

hint

party record with a siren
jeru - me or the papes
group home - th-th-the realness, ness-ness-ness
rakim - ick-icky-ick it's been a long time
gangstarr - you know my steez, check the technique, skillz, who's gonna take the weight?... many more
d'angelo - devil's pie
mos def - mathematics

...and so on

adruu

This Is It
ummm...all of m.o.p's firing squad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but for real, he needs to stop. he's done "full clip" over and over for the past four years.

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
Living legend status but shame he's so quiet these days. His quality control seems to have dipped a bit as well - The Ownerz stands as a disappointment of Human After All proportions. Here's 10 of his beats that continue to amaze me;

Gangstarr - What I'm Here For
Kool G Rap - First Nigga (DJ Premier rmx)
Jeru The Damaja - Tha Frustrated Nigga
Brandy - Almost Doesn't Count (DJ Premier rmx)
Group Home - Up Against The Wall (Getaway Car Mix)
Nas - Nas Is Like
Gangstarr - F.A.L.A.
Lina - It's Alright (Gangstarr rmx)
Jay Z - A Million And One Questions
J Live - The Best Part

The R&B remixes in particular are amazing - the Lina one is a kind of electro'ish sound that'd be good to hear explored further

DavidD

can't be stopped
"Crush" by Big Shug is a hot one.
Jay-Z - So Ghetto

Did anyone check out that Pitch Black track I posted? Old stylee but a great one.

robin

mcs act like they dont know is probably my favourite beat ever
also boom! by royce da 5'9 is really good
nas is like was mentioned upthread,i love that beat too

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Some of these have been said already, but they bump so hard I had to play them again

nas - i gave you power

krs one - rappaz r n dainja

jeru - my mind spray

jeru - come clean

gangstarr - mass appeal

mms

sometimes
he's back with naz on on a new track, 'new york' and it's hot.
yeah he was ace with jeru the damaja, good with metaphysical guys cos he got a bit further out.

nomos

Administrator
I haven't actually heard much of his recent work, but, for me, in the early 90s it was all about him, Ali Shaheed Muhammed, Pete Rock, and the SD50s. I liked his minimalist attitude toward production and gear. In an early interview he described only using an Alesis drum machine and an Akai sampler to do everything on the first two albums.

Top tunes:
'Manifest,
'Just to Get a Rep'
'Check the Technique'
'As I Read My S-A'
'Who's Gonna Take the Weight'
'The Place Where We Dwell'
'BYS'
'No Shame in My Game'
'The Illiest Brother'
'Take it Personal' (if you speed up the piano loop it sounds oddly like 'Forward Riddim' :p)
and
'DWYCK' (I can't believe no one's mentioned DWYCK yet)

Jeru "Come Clean"

I liked the Primo tracks on Nas' first album well enough, but I think the Large Professor ('Haltime' and 'It Ain't Hard to Tell) tracks really stole the show.

His scratching was always on point too - did a lot of that transformer stuff. I blew out all the transformers on my crappy mixer trying copy him.

Anyway, maybe I should check out some of his newer stuff.

craner

Beast of Burden
the 'Nyte Time' remix of 'Next Level' by Show & AG is a beaut

and I like the cubist piano on Jeru's 'D. Original'

he did some good tracks on KRS-One by, uh, KRS-One, although I don't like KRS-One at all, I think he's a fool

mms

sometimes
oliver craner said:
the 'Nyte Time' remix of 'Next Level' by Show & AG is a beaut

and I like the cubist piano on Jeru's 'D. Original'

he did some good tracks on KRS-One by, uh, KRS-One, although I don't like KRS-One at all, I think he's a fool

hmm, is a fool wasn't always a fool..

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
mms said:
he's back with naz on on a new track, 'new york' and it's hot.
yeah he was ace with jeru the damaja, good with metaphysical guys cos he got a bit further out.

I was pretty sure that was Salaam Remi doing a decent Primo impression although I haven't seen a proper credit for that tune yet.