John Stewart demolishing CNBC Cramer

hucks

Your Message Here
Christ on a bike...

Jon Stewart's best stuff is often aimed at the rest of the media. There's a youtube clip of him on some politics talk show called "Let's all have a big fight" or something, where he kills the two presenters for the way they reduce all the issues into simplistic shouting matches.

Edit: OK it's actually called Crossfire

Last edited:

crackerjack

Extraodinary, that's the most ill-advised TV appearance since this one.

He should at least have made a fight of it. But he just volunteered for his own show trial and sat there whimpering.

His career must soon be ...

vimothy

yurp
Someone should set up a fund with one investment strategy: short every stock Cramer picks. I think there's a lot of money to be made. In other news, Cramer has been accused by this guy of participating in some kind of naked short selling ring.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Robert Peston comments:

"Cramer has been attacked by Jon Stewart for being too optimistic after the crisis started in the summer of 2007," he said yesterday. "The allegation against him and CNBC is that they were taking too rose-tinted a view of what was subsequently going on at various institutions. That is simply not a criticism that I think can be levelled at most UK financial journalists.

"If Stewart tried to do that over here, I think he'd look like an idiot because I don't think there's evidence for falling down on the job in remotely the same way. I don't think it's possible to do it because the evidence isn't there of a complacent, or self-satisfied, or lazy, or unduly optimistic media."

From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/15/usa-tv-jon-stewart-economy

yeah.

hucks

Your Message Here
Well, he's right, but only inasmuch as there is no British CNBC or whatever - no TV channel set up specifically to cheerlead the stock market. But if you went through, say, the Cty Slickers column in the Mirror, I bet you'd find some fairly shocking examples of bad calling.

Edit: And of course his own personal experience is of being shouted at by angry Geordies for saying that Northern Rock was fucked when, ah, how to put this...

Last edited:

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
You are right there... but in general the UK media is not exactly not "complacent, or self-satisfied, or lazy..."

vimothy

yurp
And Cramer is by no means alone. Warren Buffet, for example, perhaps the world's smartest investor, has lost billions.

crackerjack

And Cramer is by no means alone. Warren Buffet, for example, perhaps the world's smartest investor, has lost billions.

Presumably if you have billions invested in shares, that's all but unavoidable. Did he back spectacular failures right up to the death like Cramer?

vimothy

yurp
Buffet doesn't have all of his wealth in a Vanguard indexed stock fund. He isn't making the average return of the market. If he's lost money it's because he's made bad decisions -- bad calls, just like Cramer. The man is an idiot, yes, but not foreseeing the financial crisis is a generic flaw common to everyone short of Roubini, Schiller and a handful of others.