MF Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
Yeah, it's good. More a compilation than anything TBH (various odds and sods compiled over a few years) and has the usual Doom problems with sequencing etc BUT there are some real gems here

Absolutely (gorgeous madlib beat)
The Raekwon track over 'UFO'!!!
Batty Boyz (absolutely hilarious albeit slightly, er, unsavoury)
Lightworkz (overused donuts beat but doom is the only one who has ever done it justice, chopping and screwing his flow to fit with the oddness of the beat)
That's That, Still Dope, Supervillainz = all quintessential doom productions

doom sounds more like a homeless drunk than ever as well, love it. only downside for me personally is the prevalence of Jake One production throughout, I just do not understand the love people have for this guy, totally a budget Alchemist as far as I can see.

album in general is definitely worth picking up IMO, i had rather low expectations but the time away has done doom good. now can we get madvillainy 2 pls thx

gumdrops

yeah. love it. its more of an ep though, if you delete the bumpy knuckles interlude and that pointless track with the female mc. and a lot of it seems to use old beats of his so i wonder how much hes still producing these days. still good though. fingers crossed madvillain 2 will actually come out this year.

gumdrops

definitely. thats one of the best things hes done. agreed on lightworks - not many rappers know how to flow over weirder dilla beats like that. i like the sequencing a lot though - i think it works perfectly. i think the jake one beats on here work fine but yeah, his own album was pretty average. weirdly the one thing i found dissapointing on this album was the intro - not as good as his usual openers!

urbanite

subnoto
hmmm... might have to check it out, since it's being recommended over here... his last outing kinda ended on a really low point... too many things at the same time seem to be the way he operates, but the outcome is far from being stellar all the time.

STN

sou'wester
Never managed to hear them; there seem to be so many different bootlegs of that LP floating around I just dither and grind to a halt.

gumdrops

just get black bastards on sub verse and the mr hood album. both are brill in diff ways. dont get madvillainy 2 though - its just remixes that never really work as well as the proper album.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
i actually really like madvillainy 2

it's not a sequel or anything like what it was advertised to be at the beginning, but if you treat it as a remixes/b-sides project then it's great. some of the beats are fucked, it's a lot weirder than the first one.

feeling this new one a lot on first listen. nice mix of beats and producers, but still flows coherently. sometimes with the projects where he uses a lot of different producers it can sound kinda all over the place but this one doesn't feel like that

Last edited:

crackerjack

Anyone here like KMD? That song with the Jody Watley sample is incredible.

*hand in air*

Two albums, both great, i prefer the first, always a sucker for that early Native Tongues vibe (speaking of which, anyone else catch Q-Tip last week? Brilliant, as is his album).

Is the Madvillainy 2 that people here are talking about the remix thing? there's no proper follow up yet, right?

The new one's good, not Doom's best, but better than I thought it might be. Basically he went in for overkill a few years back (one of the reasons why Dangerdoom didn't get the positive reaction it deserved, imo), but he's got the quality control working again here.

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
black bastards + madvillain collectively are probably my two favourite doom albums, or the ones i find myself returning to the most at least. always end up digging out madvillain at this time of year, reminds me of it coming out in the spring of my first year of uni :) i have a feeling that madlib's production on here was highly influential on certain producers who could be described with the W word...

couldn't recommend those two albums enough to anyone who hasn't heard them.

EddieEbola

New album is decent. Agree that it feels a little thrown together. That Angelz track with Ghostface must be about 2 or 3 years old now. I copped it regardless. Nobody brings out the fanboy in me like MF Doom.

In my opinion, 'Operation: Doomsday!' is his best album. An amazing front to back listen with a really nice timeless sound. 'Mr Hood' aged really badly to my ears, 'Black Bastards' less so. They've both been reissued recently, although 'Black Bastards' still sounds like shit. Apparently Doom mastered it himself from a cassette dub, because Dante 'The Scrub' Ross won't release the masters.

Also well worth checking out is the first Viktor Vaughn album. The production is all by artists from SoundInk, which might not be to everyone's taste, but lyrically its best performance.

http://www.ilike.com/artist/Viktor+Vaughn/track/The+Drop

Sick!!

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i am proud to say there is a philly connection on the viktor vaughn vaudeville villain record----king honey is connected with Space 1026 and a lot of those tracks were recorded in that space. he also produced some aspera (ad astra) stuff...

🤷

petergunn

plywood violin
i have black bastards on Sub Verse.... the sound quality is fine when you listen at home, but if you play it out, be prepared to get busy w/ the EQ's...

anyone hear that MF Doom/Ghostface track on the new Grand Theft Auto Chinatown soundtrack... shit is ill, a good remix floating around as well...