Black Cock

zhao

there are no accidents
have just discovered the disco re-edit project of DJ Harvey. Afro-cosmic amazing!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

deceptive that his party is called "sarcastic disco", because that is precisely what this music is not: cheap campy retro irony. absurd that i didn't know about this when i was in LA.

what else sounds like this?!?!

and by "sounds like this" i mean disco which is polyrhthmic (bongos) and deep and abstract.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
yeah he's been doing these for years, well since about 93' they're great, there is plenty of deep boogie disco like this around, he's the master edit guy though and of course the records often go for a fortune. in my opinion apart from black cock best edit labels are history clock and dirty edits

Last edited:

low band

More Black Cock than you can shake a broken mirror ball at.

link

Sadly the Silver Apples - Lovefingers Edit isn't amongst them.

zhao

there are no accidents
thanks mms i'll check the other 2 labels. and thanks low band for the link... only slightly disspointed that it's not the complete 12 inch catalog ;)

gumdrops

saw these in bm soho when i went there the other week but was a bit wary of asking for them over the counter lol *no homo*

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
my opinion apart from black cock best edit labels are history clock and dirty edits

a lot of people are probably already familiar but let me add Ugly Edits as well - Theo Parrish so you know it's going to be quality - definitely much more on the soul/funk/funkier side of disco end of things, not so much kosmiche/classic rock/space disco business...

mms

sometimes
a lot of people are probably already familiar but let me add Ugly Edits as well - Theo Parrish so you know it's going to be quality - definitely much more on the soul/funk/funkier side of disco end of things, not so much kosmiche/classic rock/space disco business...

yep very nice, the lovefingers ones are nice too, sometimes the tracks are well known though

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
sometimes the tracks are well known though

nothing wrong with this tho as long as he does something new or interesting with them?

oh & I'd like to add my thanks to low band for the link - ace really - I've never actually heard any of the Black Cock/DJ Harvey stuff...one of those names with a quasi-legendary mystique attached to it...like the Basic Channel of disco re-edits or something...

zhao

there are no accidents
on the cosmic tip have also just discovered the scandinavian disco dudes Lindstrom and Prins Thomas. a couple tracks off their 2nd is kraut-bongo awesome! but the rest of the album is kinda noodly and luke warm.

more psych/deep cosmic boogie disco suggestions please! preferably but not necessarily with bongos!

(i remember that duo Matt Woebot was on about a while back which i thought was shit at the time... wonder how i would feel about it now a year later. what were they called again? long hair bearded synth heavy jammy thing from i seem to remember upstate NY)

mms

sometimes
on the cosmic tip have also just discovered the scandinavian disco dudes Lindstrom and Prins Thomas. a couple tracks off their 2nd is kraut-bongo awesome! but the rest of the album is kinda noodly and luke warm.

more psych/deep cosmic boogie disco suggestions please! preferably but not necessarily with bongos!

(i remember that duo Matt Woebot was on about a while back which i thought was shit at the time... wonder how i would feel about it now a year later. what were they called again? long hair bearded synth heavy jammy thing from i seem to remember upstate NY)

delia and gavin - its more like synthy krautrock biz that

echevarian

babylon sister
If you like Lindstrom and Prins Thomas I'd check out the Full Pupp label, Zhao.

Blackbelt Andersen has been putting out really deep stuff over the last year or two, like heavy Detroit techno at a Disco pace.

I used a bit of his stuff in my last mix, along with people like Woolfy.

straight

wings cru
i assume you know the nigeria 70 and nigeria disco special comps zhao, loads of stuff that sounds great with this stuff. Jonny from optimos betty botox alias has loads of freaky/kraut workouts, check 'voodoo' and the rest of the rvngfthnrds edits. Tim sweeny has 2 boney m edits on this series which smash it

zhao

there are no accidents
i assume you know the nigeria 70 and nigeria disco special comps zhao, loads of stuff that sounds great with this stuff. Jonny from optimos betty botox alias has loads of freaky/kraut workouts, check 'voodoo' and the rest of the rvngfthnrds edits. Tim sweeny has 2 boney m edits on this series which smash it

thanks for reminding me to play all that afro funk/beat/disco, at the moment constructing a set for smaller bar type venues, less "serious" and more fun/diverse...

Dirty Edit version of Can's Mother Sky is fucking dope! well of course it's mostly because the original is fucking dope, and the added bit of bottom end is nice for the dance floor.

have been going through quite a bit of disco, and WAY too much generic cheese, not enough deep and transcendent afro-cosmic boogie.

zhao

there are no accidents
Moonboots and Balearic Mike - Originals is pretty good also. on a pop baleeerik tip