Soundhack/ MMM

shaolinsoul

Just recently picked up on some of the guys stuff at some obscure record store. Its a bit strange veering off into the drone/noise end for a bit but some of it is just awesome very fwd techno.

Really out there experimental stuff..

Anyone have any good recommendations on what to pick up from the label?

And is Soundhack the guy behind the Anstam dubstep releases ?. Just some of the sounds/aesthetics are really quite similar.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
I've got Donna by MMM, it's great. Really quite weird banging acid number, and I think it got repressed recently.
Smith N Hack have a bunch of good stuff too, Falling Stars I like a lot, though I seem to remember it getting a bit a of slating by some people on here.

No idea about any Anstam links.

psherburne

Don't miss the Soundtream stuff either -- much more of a soul/disco vibe, but similar cut-up tactics. I really like their remixes for Ricardo Villalobos's "Easy Lee" and for Rhythm & Sound as well....

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Don't miss the Soundtream stuff either -- much more of a soul/disco vibe, but similar cut-up tactics. I really like their remixes for Ricardo Villalobos's "Easy Lee" and for Rhythm & Sound as well....

i love the remix of prosumer as well, on a bit of a different tip

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Yeah I got that one from you and elgato's house special, it's really good. I was suprised that it's under the Soundstream name really. Quite different to the usual stuff as you say.

shaolinsoul

This is the one I was talking about.

I think it would work just fine, though mixing out of it isn't the easiest task in the world. The ending is a bit... noodly.

Hehe, soundhack stuff is very conservative on a mixing tip compared to errorsmith. I couldnt describe his style its just the noisest funky shit I have really ever heard, a mix of dance mania era chicago acid and detroit grit with a touch of disco sensibility.

Seems like Berlin really has a large pool of very talented underground techno producers all drawing inspiration from the Hardwax/Basic Channel circle of techno.

Just found out Hardwax has most of the guys stuff too! Well worth a listen.

http://hardwax.com/?search=errorsmith

shaolinsoul

The dance floor burner...
Panties are coming off with this one!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I never heard of any of these guys before and totally love the stuff that you've been posting. Nothing to add! Just saying thanks.

psherburne

Also, their live sets are insane -- I saw them play probably five years ago, and it's still one of my favorite live sets ever. Lots of live loop-cutting and tweaking, 4/4 loops constantly shifting stresses and cadences. Chaotic but funky as fuck.

moolac

Yeh recommended.

We've had them play live and DJ in every combination possible up North over the past 5 years odd. 4th birthday a couple years ago at Numbers was also MMM's 10th anniversary so we had Erik and Fiedel playing live and they did a 10 minute version of Donna which was totally ridiculous.

breakdown of them and aliases goes like this (it took me a while to work it out so may as well share):

• Soundhack = Frank Timm solo (cut up jittery house/techno) like this
  • Sound Stream = Frank Timm solo (more synths involved, smoother house grooves than hack) like this
  • Errorsmith = Erik solo (technical synthesized beats and noise, great DJ too - more party style) like this. Erik worked (might still work) at Native instruments so is a DSP whizz kid.
  • Smith and Hack = Erik and Frank (their album Tribute was mainly based around reworked samples of Bohannon, newer stuff more synth based) like this old / newer stuff
  • MMM/Erik and Fiedel = Erik & Fiedel (more synths techno, lots of tweaking pretty jacking, donna = classic) Fiedel also resident at Berghain in Berlin

All their stuff is worth checking and they're proper nice dudes.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Yeah I saw that Sound Stream were playing at Numbers but i didn't come through because I'm a massive fool. 10 minute Donna sounds pretty mental too!

3 Body No Problem

All their stuff is worth checking and they're proper nice dudes.

They are mates of mine. I met them while out clubbing in the mid 90s in Berlin. They are supercool. They've been making music for about 15 years now. I'm glad they are beginning to get the recognition they deserve. I wish they played in London more often.

powerpill

absolutely love the sound stream records, bigup to whoever made the list of their aliases on the previous page.

moolac

They are mates of mine. I met them while out clubbing in the mid 90s in Berlin. They are supercool. They've been making music for about 15 years now. I'm glad they are beginning to get the recognition they deserve. I wish they played in London more often.

yeh me too! we had errorsmith playing at a night called donna we put on down here. erik was amazing, the party was ok. i lost a grand. hate london sometimes.