total immersion

STN

sou'wester
There's something to be said for constantly rinsing the same sort of thing, isn't there? You can sort of commune with it, like Carlos Casteneda and a stick of incense. In this case its old tapes of Stretch and Bobbito on WKCR. These were like gold to me and my friends in the late 90s (we used to get them from Mr Bongo's) and a mate found an enormous stash of the fuckers online, to which I can up a link if anyone wants it. Other styles that work for immersion:

crackly techno, strains of reggae, free jazz.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
There's something to be said for constantly rinsing the same sort of thing, isn't there? ....Other styles that work for immersion:

strains of reggae

I had this tape that I used to play - of Congos type dub - so much on repeat that one night my neighbours from across the next building actually shouted out if I could turn it off, and I wasn't even playing it loud.

My most rinsed record I think though was a 7 inch by Gus Van Sant and William Burroughs called 'Millions of Images'
<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

I must have had that on solely for about a month after I bought it, literally. Turned me fucking autistic that tune.

Last edited:

ether

anything on i used to listen to on cassette in the mid ninetees, pre-internet days, long bus journeys, when cassette was how music was really propagated, theres somthing really immersive about walkman listening, old randell and kenny ken jump up tapes (those silver tape packs) and funkmaster flex juggling the classics.

urbanite

subnoto
sounds like a gold mine :) given that I only know of Bobbito's legendary status mostly third hand... thanks for that!

3 Body No Problem

There's something to be said for constantly rinsing the same sort of thing, isn't there? You can sort of commune with it, like Carlos Casteneda and a stick of incense. In this case its old tapes of Stretch and Bobbito on WKCR. These were like gold to me and my friends in the late 90s (we used to get them from Mr Bongo's) and a mate found an enormous stash of the fuckers online, to which I can up a link if anyone wants it. Other styles that work for immersion:

crackly techno, strains of reggae, free jazz.

I used to do this while producing: when I constructed a good loop, I'd play it for 3 days non-stop, interrupted only by sleep. It has a crazy effect. You get to know the rhyhmic construction of the loop really well, which opens new possibilities for composition.

I stopped doing this though, and went in the opposite direction: I try to listen to my own compositions as little as possible, so I can better appreciate how it might sound for others.