Cock Sparrer

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
are you kidding man I used to love them when I was about 13-14, before I'd figured out that if you were on the Crass/Flux of Pink Indians/Hagar & the Womb side if things it weren't cool to like Oi (or juiced up pub rock in this case)...oh the folly of punk rock youth...

seriously tho; "England Belongs to Me", "Bird Trouble" (you got you got you got what...BIRD TROUBLE...& then the gtr plays a solo of the wedding song...brilliance), "Riot Squad"...

& the Cockney Rejects!!! this is still one of my favorite tracks ever...sounds like PIL on steroids...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

oh don't get me started man - Angelic Upstarts, BLITZ, The Partisans (love love love "Police Story" - used to cover it in a high school band...)

martin

----
"We Love You", "Riot Squad" and "Take 'em All" are good fun. But Hagar the Womb! They were skill. Actually I was listening to "Word of the Womb" the other day...

STN

sou'wester
Only joking of course you may have it back.

'Where are they now' is a big favourite. Do really like 'England Belongs to Me', and choose to regard it as good clean, for-the-kids anyone can do it, claim-the-world fun, but the sight of a load of skinheads seig-heiling to it rather soured it for me.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Do really like 'England Belongs to Me', and choose to regard it as good clean, for-the-kids anyone can do it, claim-the-world fun, but the sight of a load of skinheads seig-heiling to it rather soured it for me.

sadly that's only too true...quite ambiguous isn't it - tho I don't reckon the guys from Cock Sparrer meant it at all in a racist way - perhaps tinges of vague white working class/Britain for the British protectionist thing tho...seeing as I'm not English don't really want to comment...

not that we don't have our own versions here in the states...Agnostic Front for example...that whole skin-head (the anti-racist ones) "hate racism, love my country" thing...

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Sparrer and the Rejects are both fucking great bands, and I listen to far dodgier oi! so "England Belongs to Me" doesn't make me bat an eyelid.

D

droid

Thats 2 threads this week that I havent been able to look at in work...

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Reckon Cockney Rejects are pretty good, but I've never been too impressed by Cock Sparrer, think they sound a bit plodding. Perhaps I deserve a slap for that, but bear in mind that this is the opinion of someone not too keen on Oi in general.

martin

----
Weirdly enough, that song originally started off as 'London Belongs To Me'. Skrewdriver nicked the tune wholesale for their song 'Sick Society', which demonstrates the complete paucity of their songwriting ability (most funnily, 'Back With A Bang' ripped off a Chuck Berry tune). Although I enjoy the odd Cock Sparrer song, they were pub rock, not Oi!. I prefer Oi! bands like TDA, Combat 84 (the singer went to public school y'know!), Criminal Sex and Public Enemy (the first ones, not secret toff Paul Burnley's pack), they're refreshingly mindless and have better bouncy beats.

Heathen Earth the best TG album? You having a tin bath? 'DOA' is way better...

Does anyone wanna talk about Hagar the Womb?

Last edited: