Malcolm Mclaren - Duck Rock and the World Famous Supreme Team

john eden

male pale and stale
Duck_Rock.jpg

I stopped off at MVE Camden on the way home tonight and picked up some ragga bizness from the basement but also found this for a fiver.

It's yet another LP I got out of the library as a yoof and taped and wore the goddamn tape out. I still know it all off by heart, even all the little radio rips on there from The World Famous Supreme Team.

Isn't it Mclaren and Trevor Horn going round the world and recording mad musics and then finding hip hop in NYC or something?

I've always filed this in my head along side "bush of ghosts" - probably because I also recorded that LP from the library but also cos it's proper post punk meets world music and sampladelia type of thing.

It has made an old man very happy. :cool:

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Yes, it's a really good album. Sounds better now than it did 10 years ago.

The radio bits are class, obviously, but there's so much more. Obviously it's prescient conceptually, but the actual music is really good too. And it's part of the roots for the art of noise. At the time I liked it because it wasn't just a record, it was a construction kit, with instructions and stuff. Lovely.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Am completely alone in the world on this one? :(

no it's a great record, my favorite tracks on it are actually the Soweto beat (dunno the proper name for it) stuff - "Zulu's On a Time Bomb" & such. tho the electro/scratching stuff is ace as well.

McClaren is such an embarassing bastard.

tis true, certainly, but then again one feels compelled to give him credit for being out in front of & promoting so many things - admittedly in an exploitative fashion (to sell more trousers or whatever) - but still; punk, that whole UK pop dabbles in "world music" thing with Bow Wow Wow, electro w/this record, even the nutty vogue house record he did a couple years before Madonna (that other hideous pop culture vampire) got to it...

nomos

Administrator
i could never find this in my part of the world but somewhere i've got the buffalo gals video on a well-worn beta tape.

polystyle

No John , not totally alone on this one !
I saw this lurking low on the forum just this AM,
then spent time Googling it and around it as I knew my friend Dominique got involved with one of these productions.
Found it was the later one ( '90 ?) with World tribe and Aladdin's Scratch on it.

We saw the original Buff Gals show Lady Blue brought to The Roxy here when they came out.
Great show at the moment, more expectation then lasting impact over here prolly,
but hey we went , was a fun night.

Dissensus has seen it's threads that touch on Malcy , of course.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
tis true, certainly, but then again one feels compelled to give him credit for being out in front of & promoting so many things - admittedly in an exploitative fashion (to sell more trousers or whatever)

This is pretty much the reason I can't give him much respect. He may have been the more high profile of the bunch (and I'm talking about punk specifically here), but he isn't worth a pint of piss when it comes to guys like Danny Fields. He's like Diplo, but worse, and smiled on by history.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
there is a difference between respect & credit.

you mean Danny Fields, like The Doors/MC5/Stooges guy? I dunno, I'm not sure why he's any better...or Bernie Rhodes or whoever...McLaren was if anything just more overt & crass (no pun there)...in fact some ppl might just call this being a better businessman...as if Danny Fields or whoever did it all just for the love of the music...yeah right...anyway sod the lot of them, with the glorious exception of Tony Wilson...

zhao

there are no accidents
funny i had a recent reunion with this material as well. some of it is really pretty incredible, and good sounding.