Music for the seasonal transition

Leo

it's that time of the year again, or will soon be once the crap weather ends.

i'm starting to emerge from my sonic winter cocoon where i find i listen to lots of quiet/experimental/ambient stuff, partly because the windows are closed and they block out the noise of traffic on the busy main street where i live. but when the weather warms up, the windows go open and traffic drowns out the quiet stuff, so i seem to naturally move on to more "hot fun in the summertime" louder/fun dance tunes, guitar stuff, etc.

looking for some recommendations to accommodate my shift in gears. currently enjoying the new junior boys (more depeche mode than ever), roots of el-b, "futro" by the low frequency in stereo (rune gramofon goes indie rock) and the occasional marcus nasty and dusk/blackdown rinse podcasts. imagine i'll be enjoying new albums by lindstrom/thomas, sonic youth and magik markers.

what's some of the livelier stuff everyone's enjoying now? what do you fancy blasting out of the boombox at your first 2009 backyard summer party?

Last edited:

Ory

warp drive
I'm in the mood for dancehall and funky the past few days. oh and 2step, but I'm always listening to that.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I remember buying this album it at the beginning of April in 1993, and playing the first track in my parents car on a beautiful spring day. I'm sure people have a myriad of associations with this album, but that track in particular always reminds me of spring.

edit:
Oh, and this Juke mix posted by nomad will certainly be banging out of the car when the sun's out.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Meh, Autumn's officially arrived here... and daylight savings just finished. BBQ packed away under the house. Time for evenings of darkness.

New Junior Boys sounds like it'd be quite good for the job, actually?

tox

Factory Girl
I always seem to come back to J Dilla - Donuts when the weather starts getting nice. And then when I've got used to the sun, the lazier sunny days see Massive Attack - Blue Lines getting rinsed.

Client Eastwood

I feel like ive listened to these every spring for ages ages.

Orbital - The Girl with the Sun . .
Sounding embryonic, a heatbeat, a skippy breakbeat and some bleeps
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Los Hermanos - Quetzal
Its that latin percussion and ive no idea what a quetzal sounds like but LH have made a sound just
like a bird that just learnt to fly.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Leo

as spring transitions into summer, i find myself enjoying...

- cheesy stuff like the meanderthals "desire lines"
- matias aguayo "bo jack"
- coconot "cosa astral" (feat. the guy from el guincho)
- and, belatedly, a pair of ex-tussle side projects: arp "in light" and the alps "III"

how about you?