Tracks that demand genres...

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
this was put into my head a few weeks ago by another thread (I think the DHR one?) by Bloodclaat Gangsta Youth (aka DJ Scud) - "Kill Or Be Killed"...it is quite an interesting concept I think...one that can take several different tacks...

There are some tracks that are so sonically alien that they shatter peoples' paradigms Year Zero stylee ("Acid Tracks", "Terminator"), there are other tracks which anticipate a zeitgeist or just hit at the perfect place/time combo, often the two may go hand-in-hand...

I like this concept & think it makes more sense for individual tracks (certainly when it comes to dance music) but in some genres the album or even the entire ouevre are elevated over the single track; a lot of gtr genres, classical music, jazz & so on...

Some tracks which demand genres to fill in the blank spaces around them never actually get those genres...

A few to start us off...

James Brown - "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag"
Donna Summer - "I Feel Love"
Kraftwerk - "Trans-Europe Express"
Model 500 - "Clear"
Phuture - "Acid Tracks"
Forgemasters - "Track With No Name"
The Mover - "Reflections of 2017"
Underground Resistance - "Final Frontier" & again w/"Hi-Tech Jazz"
DBX- "Losing Control" // Jeff Mills - "Workers"
Rufige Kru - "Terminator" // 4 Hero - "Journey From the Light"
DJ Trace - "Mutant Revisited" // Doc Scott - "Shadow Boxing"

Terry Riley - In C
Velvet Underground - the first 2 albums
Neu! - "Fur Immer" - any of their 11 minute motorik jams really...
Sex Pistols - "God Save the Queen" // Crass - "Punk Is Dead"
PIL - "Death Disco"
Bad Brains - "Pay to Cum"
Earth 2

in the never got a genre category...
Jimi Hendrix - "1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)" - tho I think one could argue that UR & especially Drexciya are a belated recogntion...witness the afro-scifi aquatic vibes...
Acen - "Trip II the Moon"
Princess - "Say I'm Your Number One" (Steve Gurley's remix)

so no takers then? perhaps I should narrow it down a bit...

Last edited: