playing smaller venues

zhao

there are no accidents
do djs around here ever play dive bars? if so what is in your set for these occasions?

of course very different audience and mood than big room bass in the face events, and the music has a different function, and has to function in other ways. for one thing there was no flyer, and all kinds of people are there, not to see you, but to *have fun* (which of course means totally different things to many people, musically speaking). so no one will give a damn about your sophisticated minimal house or roots of dubstep, and if you play your favorite moody mellow shit people will also tell you to get lost.

so what do you do to bring it all together and give the people what they want (after realizing much earlier that fighting them is not an option)? how do you get the place jumping, guys nodding and girls screaming, without playing what EVERYONE ELSE plays or resorting to horrible lowest common denominators? and do it all while staying fresh and retaining a sense of integrity and satisfy your own sense of musical adventure (and perverse desire to drop some subversive shit on unsuspecting civilians)

this saturday i'm playing at a friend's pretty popular little dive in Kreuzberg, and this is what i'm thinking:

afro jazz / funk / disco
bit of ska
disco reggae
ethipian boogie
turkish funk
cosmic boogie disco
post punk / dance punk
kraut rock (not sure how or if this will work)
early electro pop
obscure 80s
neue deutsche welle
italian, french, british, american new wave
a little old school and early hiphop
hip house (maybe drop a little kwaito)

any othe suggestions? that one mix someone did called Office Party (Stelfox? Eden?) was great in this vein.

quite excited really. i think it can be some seriously silly fun :D

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
yeah office party was one of my blogariddims things

I've played all over but usually people just get me in to play reggae.

But basically the trick is just to take as much music as you can and then see what works on the night. I think I would generally avoid too much stuff with no vocals in also... good to play some weird cover versions or mash ups as well.

lots of zapp for me. last time i played out somewhere like this (i was in Liverpool mind so that was a while a go) I must have played about 6 Roger Troutman songs over a four hour period.

Everybody likes More Bounce To The Ounce.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
And Daft Punk. If you feel like you're losing them, play Daft Punk. That's what their records are there for.

zhao

there are no accidents
the key to the masses is the remix.

so true. it's all about hearing what you know, preferably can sing along to. and if it's got a novelty twist sometimes even better.

i got the Elvis Presley Craw Fish re edit, some James Brown remixes, and some true originals like From Here to Eternity..

Everybody likes More Bounce To The Ounce.

this is the kind of suggestion i was looking for. i swear to god i had never heard this song before 3 minutes ago on youtube. (my radar tuned to other frequencies)

And Daft Punk. If you feel like you're losing them, play Daft Punk. That's what their records are there for.

LOL

STN

sou'wester
I always find that people of all stripes will get down to If I Gave You A Party, by Sexual Harrassment. I've even seen Billie Piper dancing to this one.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
You can't go wrong with some classic Funk. Played many small bars and parties in my time. Always have 'Green Onions' in your box - heh-heh. And JB. But it depends on what's happening and who hired you too. Once upon a time a crowd might lap up Jungle but I'd mix that with The Upsetters and, say, Lonnie Liston Smith's 'Expansions'. I'd always get whoever hired me to prep his/her mates for the styles I played. But you still always get some c*nt asking for what you don't have and can't stand.

Client Eastwood

really obv couple of choices but when the danceofloor get a but quite get the girls on it with
positive force - we got the funk
gets girls pointing at each shouting "vicky got the funk, she got it . . .collete got the funk . . . "

jackson sisters - miracles
i believe in miracles baiybee, i beleeevee in yoooooou

man will follow. im sure zhao could do a funky refix for added zest.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - TROY;
Bobby Womack - Across 110th Street;
maybe That Thing by Lauryn Hill
Fela- Wtaer Get No Enemy
Ciara - Echo

If they don't get any of these, they're really not worth bothering with anyway.

And yes, if all else fails, One More Time will get them back on side.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
thanks for all the suggestions. gonna check all of them.

been working on this all day. and i've decided to build with non-obvious crowd pleasers. like if i'm gon do JB, it's gon be the lesser known trcks. and heavily leaning on the Afro/Turkish/Egyptian funk rather than American. so More Bounce to the Ounce is out.

also going to go with a bunch of Can. and a mega 3 tune Neu! sequence i'm hoping to drop... playing to a bunch of krauts anyway and they should know their fucking history!!! :mad:

currently adding a bunch of Cambodian Rocks :D which i will off set with some early... BEATLES.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
man Tomorrow Never Knows is such a fucking amazing track. please let me never forget it.