16-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Cats. Dogs smell.

martin
16-04-2009, 10:43 AM
This is worth reading.

http://www.geocities.com/pashathecat/History/Cat_Massacre.html

luka
16-04-2009, 11:43 AM
cats all day. i hate dogs. i cant beleive they're legal. i'd abolish them this instant.

elgato
16-04-2009, 11:49 AM
cats, standard!

mms
16-04-2009, 11:50 AM
cats are vicious creatures that pretend to be serene then scratch you in an instant.
minature hate bombs.

elgato
16-04-2009, 11:53 AM
cats are vicious creatures that pretend to be serene then scratch you in an instant.
minature hate bombs.

not with me man i think they must just not like you

cats have independence and grace, dogs are stupid and naive or brutish and narrow-minded

zhao
16-04-2009, 11:53 AM
i luuuuuurrrrrv

teh

kitties

!!!

Lichen
16-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I just know Dissensus will be 80/20 in favour of cats.

Bunch of old women...

viktorvaughn
16-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Cats all day.

I want to get some kittens and call them Wiley, Slimzee and Dizzee.

elgato
16-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Bunch of old women...

typical macho dog lover!!

nomos
16-04-2009, 12:52 PM
this is the best idea i've heard all week :D

Tentative Andy
16-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I have big respect for cats but I can't love them in my heart like with dogs.

nomos
16-04-2009, 01:48 PM
"slimzee! get down off that roof!"

droid
16-04-2009, 01:58 PM
"Wiley's pissed on the bed again!"

STN
16-04-2009, 02:06 PM
my cat is named after Roger Troutman's band Zapp.

viktorvaughn
16-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Plus you could have a 'Wiley Kat' tag for him and use all Wiley's nicknames also - William, Willy, The Big Willy Kat, Eskiboy, The E3 (or substitute in own postcode) Tiger...

plus Slimzos, Raskitt etc. Sure to confuse visitors.:p

Pestario
16-04-2009, 02:38 PM
dissensus is a cat love-in, who knew?????

this thread will tear us apart

zhao
16-04-2009, 02:44 PM

(little girl crying) mommy mommy look what dizzee dragged into the kitchen!

viktorvaughn
16-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Ha, just clocked:D

Sick Boy
16-04-2009, 03:10 PM
This is a difficult decision but when pressed I'm gonna have to say dogs. Their blind adoration is impossible to refuse.

STN
16-04-2009, 03:12 PM
hang on, you've already voted for camelopards. a fine choice it was too.

mms
16-04-2009, 03:26 PM
dissensus is a cat love-in, who knew?????

this thread will tear us apart

bunch of quiche eating girliemen :)

STN
16-04-2009, 03:26 PM
bunch of quiche eating girliemen:mad:

rockist

Sick Boy
16-04-2009, 03:43 PM
hang on, you've already voted for camelopards. a fine choice it was too.

Ah, yes, but that was a given.

reeltoreel
16-04-2009, 04:20 PM
I've never come home from a walk with catshit on my shoes.

Cats get my vote.

petergunn
16-04-2009, 06:53 PM
cats= less maintenance... dogs are too needy...

mixed_biscuits
16-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Cats are twats

polystyle desu
16-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Cats . Allergic to 'em but still love 'em.
Mostly take care of themselves ( within reason ),
don't beg ( usually ),
no *hit on the floor, sidewalk, walkway, street, town , city etc.

Slothrop
16-04-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm definitely a cat person.

Although my girlfriend's kind of talked me round to the merits of sheepdogs like border collies ie dogs that have been bred to be intelligent and do a job rather than to kill things or look stupid or both.

mms
17-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Cats are evil, i have proof of evil cats from this documentary from japan i found on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOBCMoDGGZU

CHAOTROPIC
17-04-2009, 02:15 AM
Cats.

Quark
&
Bozon

elgato
17-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Cats are evil, i have proof of evil cats from this documentary from japan i found on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOBCMoDGGZU

lol

surely proof, if anything, of how impressive cats can be. a dog would simply be too stupid to achieve such things

that film looks absolutely amazing though, need to link that!

Pestario
17-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm definitely a cat person.

Although my girlfriend's kind of talked me round to the merits of sheepdogs like border collies ie dogs that have been bred to be intelligent and do a job rather than to kill things or look stupid or both.

This proves that dogs are better because they CAN be helpful. Have you seen a cat help humanity? No, they climb up trees until they're stuck.

EDIT: I don't judge animals by their worth to humans. I love dogs, even useless ones.

elgato
17-04-2009, 10:39 AM
This proves that dogs are better because they CAN be helpful.

fascist!

why don't we just enslave all of the beasts of the earth to our every whim? huh?!

whats next? monkeys in waistcoats to sell tea?!

i ask you

god bless cats and their indignant liberty in an anthropocentric world

faustus
17-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Cats all day.

lol

i've been planning for a while to buy a couple of rats and call them trim and scratch

rats are cool

sufi
17-04-2009, 11:20 AM
http://dissensus.com/tags.php?tag=fush

elgato
17-04-2009, 11:30 AM
i think its also appropriate to consider the broader families

dogs - jackals, foxes, wolves, raccoon dogs - pathetic

compare and contrast with magnificent tigers, lions, jaguars, cheetahs, pumas, lynx, even bloody margays

come off it

mms
17-04-2009, 11:37 AM
you can't call wolves or foxes pathetic.

i tell you what though, dogs have got a bad press, people have terrible taste in dogs, they have those horrible retarded miss breeds which are like little fur covered hams with teeth and can hardly walk.
i went round my friends the other day and he had a little chocolate brown greyhound, lovely intelligent thing, thats a proper dog.

elgato
17-04-2009, 11:41 AM
i tell you what though, dogs have got a bad press, people have terrible taste in dogs, they have those horrible retarded miss breeds which are like little fur covered hams with teeth and can hardly walk.

hahaha

i too saw an extremely beautiful and graceful dog this morning actually

you can't call wolves or foxes pathetic.

i meant that the dog family is repping in a pathetic manner when pitched against the might of the cats. i find it hard to see this being a disputed point!

Corpsey
17-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Cats don't bite kids faces off like dogs. Despite this, I'm still voting for them, because they would if they could.

STN
17-04-2009, 11:46 AM
i adore greyhounds

crackerjack
17-04-2009, 12:03 PM
dogs are stupid and naive or brutish and narrow-minded

and smelly, really, really smelly.

People who prefer dogs to cats are stupid. I'm sure this has been proven to be FACT, whether I just made it up or not.

crackerjack
17-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Cats don't bite kids faces off like dogs. Despite this, I'm still voting for them, because they would if they could.

Ha ha ha ha

i admit I've been warming to dogs slightly of late, but only big ones, sheepdogs, labradors kinda thing. Anything below knee height should be put down, which is kinda tough on puppies, but nature is cruel.

Sick Boy
17-04-2009, 01:27 PM
dogs - jackals, foxes, wolves, raccoon dogs - pathetic

and BEARS aka King of The Forest aka Mighty Force Of Nature aka "godless, marauding killing machine" (Colbert)

droid
17-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Bears are ursine, not vulpine/canine. Distant relative of the dog. Hyena are more closely related to felines apparently.

Bang Diddley
17-04-2009, 02:12 PM
cats are evil manipulative little things. all cat owners should have to put bells on them (the cats that is) as law, seen too many dead birds in the back garden. i like watching them doing all that hunting stuff but then i scare the birds off when they get too near. feckers.

BareBones
17-04-2009, 02:20 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z2BgjH_CtIA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z2BgjH_CtIA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

martin
17-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, but if it was 1943 in Soviet Belarus and the nazis were coming to destroy your village, could you strap a bomb onto the back of a cat and send it running beneath a panzer tank? Don't think so.

STN
17-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, but if it was 1943 in Soviet Belarus and the nazis were coming to destroy your village, could you strap a bomb onto the back of a cat and send it running beneath a panzer tank? Don't think so.

you are always friendly to my cat. is this because it is the least likely mammal in my house to be sick on you?

martin
17-04-2009, 03:31 PM
you are always friendly to my cat. is this because it is the least likely mammal in my house to be sick on you?

It's a cat???

I thought you had a housemaid?

STN
17-04-2009, 03:44 PM
It's a cat???

I thought you had a housemaid?

it's just a very well-trained cat in a French Maid's oufit.

mms
17-04-2009, 04:28 PM

exactly or if you were a slum landlord doing a notorious 3rd world insurance scam on your property, you couldn't send a burning cat into a building it would die too quickly.

Lichen
18-04-2009, 06:08 AM

Ha! No! A cat would jump into your lap, extend its fiendish claws and cling on to you.

zhao
18-04-2009, 09:46 AM
people have terrible taste in dogs

that's because they don't have the proper recipes. you should try the SiChaun Sizzling Labrador with Blackbean Sauce. mmmmmmm mmm.

People who prefer dogs to cats are stupid. I'm sure this has been proven to be FACT, whether I just made it up or not.

i'm standing behind this 100%. people who don't eat fish are also mentally/emotionally challenged.

atoga
20-04-2009, 10:32 PM
on the whole, i find cats more agreeable - even the lazy misanthropic ones are pretty cool. on the other hand, even though a lot of dogs are fucking idiots, the good ones (mainly shepherds and retrievers i guess) have a lot of personlike qualities that cats lack. the thing about them being totally awesome companions 4 life is v true. so dogs win my vote, narrowly.

zhao
21-04-2009, 08:33 AM
no one who lives in the city has any business imprisoning their dog in their small yard (or even flat). dogs need to run around ALL DAY EVERYDAY outside. no matter how big your house is it is just a tiny little prison for them.

the complete discrepency between people who say they love animals and these very same people not caring at all about the horrendous suffering of their pets is just unbelievable if you think about it. (and i'm just talking about pet culture, not even mentioning the meat industry)

droid
21-04-2009, 09:45 AM
that's because they don't have the proper recipes. you should try the SiChaun Sizzling Labrador with Blackbean Sauce. mmmmmmm mmm.

Useful dogs are the tastiest - that's why they have St. Bernard farms in China.

Pestario
21-04-2009, 10:02 AM
on the whole, i find cats more agreeable - even the lazy misanthropic ones are pretty cool. on the other hand, even though a lot of dogs are fucking idiots, the good ones (mainly shepherds and retrievers i guess) have a lot of personlike qualities that cats lack. the thing about them being totally awesome companions 4 life is v true. so dogs win my vote, narrowly.

yes, this is how I'm articulating my stance from now on

martin
21-04-2009, 10:16 AM
For all the talk of cats' "independence", they're not nearly as autonomous as Siberian Huskies. Left to their own devices, Huskies will make a break for it and never return to their owners.

Greyhounds are lethal attack dogs, they can tear a human child to pieces in seconds. Everyone thinks Afghan Hounds are all soft and fluffy, but they're just greyhounds in coats.

There's something really noble about German Shepherds, they're like the grizzled old geezers you used to get hanging around smokey pubs in London in the early 80s.

Have you ever seen a Kerry Blue? Fucking hell - it looks like an alien. Proper beardsman style.

Dunninger
21-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I had a dream of a cat last night, snow white and the eyes, paw pads and the inner sides of the ears were a deep azure blue. Petting her was one of the most pleasant sensations I ever had in a dream.

I don't know, I really find the attention demanding personalities most dogs have to be really irritating.

Sick Boy
21-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Am I really the only one who voted Camelopard? Someone google Camelopard right now and immediately regret your vote.

zhao
21-04-2009, 01:07 PM
There's something really noble about German Shepherds

it's the breeding which also gives most of them excruciating back pain.

Lichen
21-04-2009, 01:35 PM
they're just greyhounds in coats.

Afghan coats.

mms
21-04-2009, 02:20 PM
it's the breeding which also gives most of them excruciating back pain.

that would true if they were one of those little aggy fighting dogs but German shepherds are taut, well designed beasts.

zhao
21-04-2009, 02:28 PM
that would true if they were one of those little aggy fighting dogs but German shepherds are taut, well designed beasts.

Degenerative Myelopathy (http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/DM_Web/DMofGS.htm)

Although a few cases have been reported in other large breeds of dogs, the disease appears with relative frequency only in the German Shepherd breed, suggesting that there is a genetic predisposition for German Shepherd dogs (GSD) in developing Degenerative Myelopathy.

Diagnosis of DM is made by a history of progressive spinal ataxia and weakness that may have a waxing and waning course or be steadily progressive. This is supported by the neurologic findings of a diffuse thoracolumbar spinal cord dysfunction.

from Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shepherd_Dog):

Many common ailments of the German Shepherds are a result of the inbreeding required early in the breed's creation.[31] One such common issue is hip and elbow dysplasia which may lead to the dog experiencing pain in later life, and may cause arthritis.[32] ... Also according to a study done by R.M. Clemmons, DVM PhD who is a Professor of Neurology and Neurosurgery at the University of Florida, Degenerative Myelopathy, or DM is a neurological disease that occurs with enough regularity specifically in the the breed to suggest the disease is one that is genetically predisposed in German Shepherd Dogs.

Jonesy
22-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Cats because...

...they don't try to hump your leg, they take themselves for a walk, they don't rip toddlers limb from limb, they hunt vermin, they don't keep you up all night meowing and they have nine lives.

zhao
22-04-2009, 06:45 AM
mms' first reaction is denial, preferring the idealized image in his head to reality. and this makes an excellent example of what i was talking about upthread: the kind of discrepancy which exists between what people want to think about their pets and the reality for these animals.

further, people DON'T WANT to consider these animals' experience; and understandably so: these animals represent one, for many the single, source of "simple" comfort in a complicated world, with a child-like devotion (dependence) that they count on: and indeed become addicted to. so to politicize and point out the suffering of these animals is the last thing people want to hear: "now you want to take THAT away from me too?!"

sorry, but yes. because you see there are a few, very few people out there who ACTUALLY love animals instead of only loving what they can do for us and the way they make us feel.

mms
22-04-2009, 01:48 PM
mms' first reaction is denial, preferring the idealized image in his head to reality. and this makes an excellent example of what i was talking about upthread: the kind of discrepancy which exists between what people want to think about their pets and the reality for these animals.

nah it was ignorance, not denial, i didn't know that as it goes.

BareBones
22-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Someone google Camelopard right now and immediately regret your vote.

Done, and done.

Cats because... they don't keep you up all night meowing

i'd say cats are far more likely to do this than dogs...

Sick Boy
22-04-2009, 02:46 PM
i'd say cats are far more likely to do this than dogs...

In terms of being kept awake at nights, cats lose. I might have been woken up once or twice by a dog barking at something outside, but cats are guilty of a long list of nocturnal offences including charging up and down the house at top speed, knocking things off of desks and tables, certainly meowing, scratching doors, and if in the same room as me, attacking my toes in the middle of the night.

Little bastards. Although you can just get fed up with them and toss them outside and they'll fend for themselves until the next morning, which you can't really do with dogs. Unless they are those hyper intelligent, rugged, farm dog types. And you live on a farm.

slim jenkins
24-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Dogs. No contest. Because they do try and hump your leg. And roll around in shit.

My woman once knew a dog that ate a pair of knickers...and they slowly came out the other end.

They don't kill our birds.

They repay kindness instead of strutting around like they own the world.

Walking cats is no fun.

They can kill people. Cats can claw badly and be nasty but there's nothing quite like petting a bull terrier (as I was the other week) knowing that it could chew me up in seconds. The downside of this, of course, is that certain breeds are owned by people who are more stupid than the pet.

mms
25-07-2009, 12:39 PM
wondering about getting a cat at the moment, i'd like a dog but my flats not big enough it would be tight.

massrock
25-07-2009, 05:30 PM
New or used?

Karl Kraft
19-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Cats reputation as cleaner animals is totaly undeserved also. Thier small size just means that they can shit in more obscure places (which ultimately casuses more damage), they have rediculously weak stomachs for an animal, which leads them to vomit continualy and the fact they have the run of the whole house means their hair gets fucking everywhere.
They are as dumb as bricks and lazy, which somehow get read as somekind of cool layed back intelligence by cat owners (or as divinity by early civilsations). They make stupid nauseating noises and continualy get under your feet, duno how many domestic accidents a year are prolly the fault of cats (waay more than dog attacks I bet).
They have no idea what they want (besides attention), let one out thats meowing near a door and it will want to come back fucking in again in 1 mins time..

Just to list some dogs also:
Sheperds Dogs (could just list this one alone really)
Guide Dogs (like eyes for blind people ffs!)
Rescue Dogs
inc Sniffer Dogs (the ones that find people in collapsed buildings)
Guard Dogs (cats are more likley to trash your house than protect it)

Dogs have furtthered civilsation. Cats lay about in it.

john eden
19-08-2009, 11:29 AM
my cat is named after Roger Troutman's band Zapp.

My cat is named after STN's cat, bizarrely.

http://www.uncarved.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/zipwoof.jpg

Bang Diddley
19-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I cant remember where I saw this but I read somewhere that cats have learnt to mimic the sound of a baby crying into fooling owners into giving cats what they want. Usually food the greedy feckers.

There used be a cat in the street where I lived which could climb a street light and sit on top of it. Climbed it like a human would a climb cocunut tree using all fours to grasp the pole. Pretty cool.

Mr. Tea
19-08-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.uncarved.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/zipwoof.jpg

Controversy Cat pushis teh enveloap!

polystyle desu
09-09-2009, 02:25 AM
How and why humans first began to domesticate wolves 'into' dogs.
An answer in S China.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/08/science/08dogs.html?hpw

MrFence
09-09-2009, 07:49 AM

Bunch of old women...

You could replace *Dissensus* in that statement with, *Internet* and it would still be valid.

I read (skimmed) a study once about how people who are brought up with dogs in the household are generally more tactile and empathic adults than those who aren't. Not that one should draw parallels between this idea and the preponderance of cat love on teh internets.

MrFence
09-09-2009, 08:08 AM
not with me man i think they must just not like you

cats have independence and grace, dogs are stupid and naive or brutish and narrow-minded

That is a load of King Rolo. Dogs are social animals, it's silly to suggest that they're stupid when they're able to integrate into and in some sense understand human family relationships, and that those relationships are demonstrably important to them.

I once knew a cat who was terrified of rugs, which is a tad odd, though saying that one of my work mates is unable to touch buttons without feeling incredibly nauseated.

luka
09-09-2009, 09:17 AM
i hate dogs.

i like foxes. the best bit in grizzlyman is where you see how easily he befirends the wee foxlet. its a magic scene. and it indicates just how easy it was to domesticate dogs. its a win win situation. no effort involved.

Mr. Tea
09-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Foxes are cool, I love to see them padding nonchalantly around London like they own the place. Total different from foxes in the countryside, which you're more likely to smell than see.

polystyle desu
09-09-2009, 02:38 PM
to 'smell' a fox ? what kind is that ?

I liked that part of Grizz' man too Luca -a little fox sitting on top of his tent !

MrFence
10-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Two foxes were fucking right outside my bedroom window the night before last. Possibly the loudest and most horrible noise heard in Peckham since the bad at the Irish festival a couple of months ago/the two cats upstairs fighting/fucking other local cats.

They are pretty cool though, and even though they're wild they don't shit all over my plant pots and patio like cats from upstairs do. A fox stole one of my girlfriends shoes literally the night before this shocking story (http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/article.html?Female_fox_steals_100_shoes&in_article_id=684267&in_page_id=64) broke.

sufi
10-09-2009, 11:08 AM
obviously they are well organised with a proper conspiracy,
sitting about all day in basements and holes just waiting for their moment,
one day little cub all of this will be ours

Mr. Tea
10-09-2009, 11:40 AM
to 'smell' a fox ? what kind is that ?

It's a scent thing foxes do, a very distinc(k)tive musky smell. I haven't smelt it in years but I'd know it in a second if I were to smell it again. I've never noticed it in the city - maybe they don't do it here to avoid hassle from dogs?

zhao
10-09-2009, 12:05 PM
An answer in S China.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/08/science/08dogs.html?hpw

never had but would try

sufi
26-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Save the Planet, Eat Your Dog (http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/10/26/0321245/Save-the-Planet-Eat-Your-Dog)

Mr. Tea
26-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Funny that this thread is in 'nature' just because it's about living creatures. It'd make more sense in 'technology' if you think about it.

mms
27-10-2009, 08:44 AM
totally changed my stance on cats after my girlfriend persuaded me to agree to some, now i have two very cool little black cats, and they're great, burmese very like dogs, very fun.

STN
27-10-2009, 08:48 AM
yeah, my old cat was a burmese, she was wicked.

baboon2004
27-10-2009, 02:00 PM
greyhounds own this thread.

woops
27-10-2009, 07:11 PM

this comment owns this thread

mistersloane
27-10-2009, 11:08 PM
I like both.

But I would have a big dog, if one were to meet me and want to live with me, because they make me feel safe.

I don't think I could make the decision to 'own' a pet though, it would have to be some random thing.

zhao
28-10-2009, 06:45 AM

according to such banal utilitarian standards, the construction worker would also be "superior" to the artist.

woops
28-10-2009, 09:01 AM
according to such banal utilitarian standards, the construction worker would also be "superior" to the artist.

who are you quoting with those quote marks, zhao?
wrong thread mate

Mr. Tea
28-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Thing is, you actually need to know stuff to be a construction worker. You don't get "construction workers" living off eternal parental stipends in flats in Shoreditch.

But on the cats/dogs issue, clearly weretigers own everything.

nomadthethird
28-10-2009, 02:53 PM

Are you trying to imply that artists are superior to construction workers?

I wouldn't have a dog or cat, after seeing a bunch of cultures another lab took of cats' and dogs' saliva.

zhao
28-10-2009, 03:02 PM
of course not. that would be silly wouldn't it?

but who ever said the Civilization thing is saying that use-value trumps all other values. and Tea is defending him.

scottdisco
28-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Thing is, you actually need to know stuff to be a construction worker. You don't get "construction workers" living off eternal parental stipends in flats in Shoreditch.

very true

zhao
28-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Thing is, you actually need to know stuff to be a construction worker.

not like artists, who apparently don't need to know anything.

Pestario
28-10-2009, 03:17 PM
why can't artists further civilisation?

woops
28-10-2009, 03:22 PM
blarg
ok ok society needs both artists and construction workers
they both need to know stuff
we are the world everybody

Lewis
28-10-2009, 03:59 PM
But cats aren't artists, that's a poor analogy. They're more like the feckless, landed gentry.

Whereas Dogs have been willing workers throughout the ages. Salt of the Earth

massrock
28-10-2009, 04:01 PM
cats aren't artists
http://imomus.livejournal.com/456382.html

Lewis
28-10-2009, 04:15 PM
^ I stand corrected

I thought it was going to be keyboard cat before I opened it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J---aiyznGQ

scottdisco
28-10-2009, 04:25 PM
LOL at the Momus

http://www.thevelvetstore.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/dogs%20playing%20poker22.jpg

zhao
28-10-2009, 04:26 PM
dogs do taste better i'll give you that much.

Mr. Tea
28-10-2009, 04:39 PM
not like artists, who apparently don't need to know anything.

Meaning, anyone can call themselves an 'artist'. (In the same way that my mate's ex fancies herself as an 'actress' when she's basically gone to drama school and then had one part, ever.) You don't need formal qualifications or training - this is neither a bad thing nor a good thing, it's just a thing. I mean, I've got a lot more respect for someone who can lay a nice straight brick wall than I have for, say, Jeff Koons.

But then, all artists are not Jeff Koons. And if you love hideous ironic kitsch you probably think he's a genius.

You're the one who brought up value judgements w.r.t. artists vs. construction workers here...

massrock
28-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Surely this depends on whether you consider the furtherance of civilisation to be a positive thing or not? ;)

mistersloane
28-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Thing is, you actually need to know stuff to be a construction worker.

Nonsense my dear chap! I could walk out of my loft and get a job on site down the road in Liverpool Street with the Poles without any prior knowledge at all! I'd just have to get an acquaintance to vouch for me!

Wouldn't make me a master fucking mason though.

Mr. Tea
28-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Really? I'd have thought you'd need some kind of certificate to show you could actually do whatever it is you wanted to get paid for doing...but then I guess you don't need to be a trained electirican to heave wheelbarrows of sand around the place or whatever.

mistersloane
28-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Really? I'd have thought you'd need some kind of certificate to show you could actually do whatever it is you wanted to get paid for doing...but then I guess you don't need to be a trained electirican to heave wheelbarrows of sand around the place or whatever.

Not really, I know lots of people who've just rucked onto a site through word of mouth, purely through friends saying that they've done it before.

I mean you can do (umm, what used to be...dunno what they're called now) NVQs in plastering and roadworks and stuff but people who generally do them are already working and being paid by their company to do that so they can go further in the business.

You can't really just 'be' an artist either (pedantic head on tonight!), I mean anyone who's actually making money from it will have been through at least been a foundation, a degree and then usually a masters, as well as having gone through the studio process - getting to know what studios are what, getting to knwo the people who can get you into one, getting on the waiting list... it takes about 8-10 years usually before you make any money, and that's kinda how I'd define a 'real' artist.

massrock
28-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Anyone can be an Estate Agent though.

Mr. Tea
28-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that anyone could just decide to be an artist one day and that was that, that it didn't take lots of training and hard work - just that some people fancy themselves as artists (or writers, actors, musicians, DJs...) like it's their vocation, when really they have a normal job as well or are unemployed or independently wealthy and do that as a hobby.

I dunno, I'm probably sounding some career-obsessed dick who thinks that what you do for money defines who you are as a person, which is not what I mean - I'm mainly thinking of that girl I mentioned a post or two earlier who thinks of herself as an actress although she clearly isn't, by any reasonable definition. I mean, it's not even like she does am-dram stuff, that I'm aware of.

Whereas you don't come across wannabe construction workers that often, I'd have thought.

woops
28-10-2009, 08:10 PM
xpost with the youtube find thread
and a new school major BABE too :o

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fqTgY4TbP8I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fqTgY4TbP8I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

zhao
29-10-2009, 02:55 AM
Surely this depends on whether you consider the furtherance of civilisation to be a positive thing or not? ;)

jury still out on that one... but i'm tending toward the position of when history hands you a lemon... atleast until some oranges arrive and you can chuck it out the window. hopefully.

mistersloane
29-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Whereas you don't come across wannabe construction workers that often, I'd have thought.

There's loads on Gaydar.

Tentative Andy
29-10-2009, 02:03 PM
some people fancy themselves as artists (or writers, actors, musicians, DJs...) like it's their vocation, when really they have a normal job as well or are unemployed.

*looks shifty*
*makes himself scarce*

;):eek::D

baboon2004
29-10-2009, 02:10 PM
I think a change in Dissensus policy is called for. Instead of naming threads at the beginning and then excitedly jumping to page 6 only to find that, instead of being able to discuss the merits of the Scottish Enlightenment you are forced to take sides in a vicious factional feud about which breed of cat is the most rational and what in fact does that even mean, why not have each poster successively rename the thread according to what is actually going on at that point in said thread?

To save on disappointment, like.

Mr. Tea
29-10-2009, 02:17 PM
There's loads on Gaydar.

Hahaha, and wannabe cops, wannabe cowboys, wannabe American Indians...

mistersloane
29-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Hahaha, and wannabe cops, wannabe cowboys, wannabe American Indians...

It's all true. My sexual race lacks the Real, and wants the Other. Especially if they're scaffolders.

mistersloane
29-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I dunno, I'm probably sounding some career-obsessed dick who thinks that what you do for money defines who you are as a person,

Yeah I thought of that when I posted that a 'real' artist was one who made money from it - it's such a dangerous area to define 'real' in terms of money - maybe a 'jobbing' artist is better, they're certainly the ones I look to for clues as to how to survive. It's about career rather than hobby, isn't it? But even the word 'career' makes me violently ill. It's no wonder I'm such a mess.

zhao
29-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah I thought of that when I posted that a 'real' artist was one who made money from it - it's such a dangerous area to define 'real' in terms of money - maybe a 'jobbing' artist is better, they're certainly the ones I look to for clues as to how to survive. It's about career rather than hobby, isn't it? But even the word 'career' makes me violently ill. It's no wonder I'm such a mess.

all the new crop of art students cum "artists" that come out of the training camps cum art universities, are super careerist. well not ALL but a lot. they seem to have no real interest in ideas, but rather gather in little cliques trading art world insider gossip. edit: it's real heart warming.

baboon2004
29-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Slightly OT (and way off the original topic), a general observation: claiming "creativity"* seems to have become a new oppressive hierachy, ignoring the fact that it all depends on what you create is any good/has value (cos stuff can be technically bad but still have great value, obv, if your heart/soul/brain is in it).

ie The automatic assumption that it somehow makes someone more interesting/worthy if they have produced art in some form fucks me off.

Not in reference to any point mentioned here, but it just struck me.

* and what the word itself means has become obfuscated

connect_icut
06-02-2010, 06:20 AM
On topic!

Cats. Because they bury their poo and they don't eat poo and they don't smell like poo.

And because mine looks like this:

http://bubblegumcage3.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/sneefler_deck.jpg?w=455&h=448

I do like dogs too and regularly take a friend's deaf American Eskimo on hikes. She does like to eat poo, though. The dog, not the friend.

http://bubblegumcage3.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/dog_mountain1.jpg?w=300&h=225