'music to stand on a mountain to' genre - shit post-punk!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I'll also add DRAGON from Australia and ICEHOUSE...

both those bands wore trench-coats and sported post-new-wave mullets!!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Hahaha...Just read this article on Echo and the Bunnymen in Mojo, and the guy had a hilarious list of 'music to stand on the mountain to'! Basically commercial 80s post-punk bands with over-gated and reverbed 'massive' sounds that have dated horribly and had Scottish guys in long coats.

They had the following:

Echo and the Bunny Men - Ocean Rain
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
U2 - Unforgettable Fire
The Waterboys
Big Country

I'd add:

The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional
Prefab Sprout
The Blue Nile
INXS

..and in the 90s defintely PEARL JAM, I mean FFS, their lead singer literally yodels from the mountain!!!

it's interesting because despite the fact that none of the cuckers in Williamsberg have made this genre hip again, some of the biggest Pitchfork cuck bands of today have these stylistics. Pushing COLDPLAY aside I'd throw in:

Arcade Fire
Sigur Ross
and even Animal Collective !!

Please add to this hilarious genre! LOL! :cool::cool::cool:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
The Woodentops!
Surely the balearic cache this stuff has means its ripe for rediscovery?
(should also point out I quite like some of this stuff, kind of a mystical, glacial version of yacht rock)

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Much though I like a lot of their stuff, I would have to say that The Verve come perilously close to this sort of area. Doves, on the other hand, go right the way over into it. Also, Manic Street Preachers circa Everything Must Go.

the ig

hey getting a little bit ahead of ourselves there...
...along with bunnymen in early 80s were bands like the sound, the comsat angels, the chameleons, red lorry yellow lorry (latter usually lumped in with goth)
generally a sort of joy-division-taken-outside sort of sound. less of the dank clattery subway echo; the sense of being in a city, with the presence of others.

a swerve towards romanticism after the post-punk modernist moment.
back to the sublime - lone aching self-before-grandiose nature or before other nebulous universalities (death, fate, mankind etc). all guitar effects aping light effects, grand vistas, pathetic fallacy...
this vibe already there on some of 'closer'.

the doors seem to have made a comback there...hear 'em in bunnymen...the sensibility fits.
u2 and 'minds make it huge stadium thing eventually.
...err this is a bit of a 'rip it up...' re-hash!

prefab sprout don't fit in there at all. 'steve mcqueen' is lovely indeed. intimist and lyrical - from the midst of people - the happy/sad comings and goings of lovers and friends. blue-eyed soul and shards of folk melody.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
All those mid-80s 'new wave' bands made 'music to stand on the mountain' to.

Mounitans of cocaine, mountains of gated reverb and new studio effects, mountains of shite!

The Verve! LOL! GOOD CALL! hahahah

ToRMeNT

Altho very much NOT shit, but totally in relation to the topic imagery here:

Jaz Coleman took the cake tho.

I mean, Killing Joke are STILL preparing for the rapture, not to mention that they were a full on cult for a bit in 80's. That takes balls i tell ya. heh.

That's like Moses territory. Not only preaching on the mountain, but making the underground city to survive the approaching apocalypse @ dusk!

habloodyha_4.jpg

Last edited:

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
'music to stand on a mountain to' genre - shit post-punk!

lol :)

though that's not post-punk really
it's proto-indie rock
which was just as lame then as it is now

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Yodel post-Viking Celtic spiritual rock.

It MUST have a totally CELTIC/HIGHLANDER type vibe about it. American's can't do it, just bad imitations, like Pearl Jam.

Yeuuch it's sounding worse all the time!

CrowleyHead

That Coleman picture... Priceless.

And let's be fair, any Killing Joke album that doesn't have Youth on it fits this genre to a capital. These guys really discovered that the center of the universe was located straight up their asshole.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
That Coleman picture... Priceless.

And let's be fair, any Killing Joke album that doesn't have Youth on it fits this genre to a capital. These guys really discovered that the center of the universe was located straight up their asshole.

Wasn't that the Bronski Beat?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Yeah, fuck those self-obsessed homos & their meaningless attention-grabbing antics in the face of 80s gay genocide.

Wait ... I mean, you're a prick.

No taking the piss, thats what you use a prick for?

And I like how you use such emotive words like 'gay genocide', I'm almost tempted to throw up Godwin's law.

zhao

there are no accidents
this thread is about bagpipes. and bagpipes is the only thing this thread is about.

comelately

Wild Horses
Tears For Fears? 'Shout' was pretty much immediately what sprang to my mind when I saw this thread.

Would probably have to file under guilty pleasure mind - I got the song on a 4 track Weetabix tape when I was kneehigh to a grasshopper. I can't remember all the other tracks, but 'There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis' by Kirsty MacColl was one of them.