Cracking blog comments

Leo

I'm not a techie, so this might be a dumb questions but...is it possible for a blog reader to identify someone who posts a comment? Thinking specifically about a blog that uses DISQUS for the commenting system. Would someone be able to determine where you are posting from (the city), or your actual IP address? If so, how would they go about doing it?

I'm not talking about the person who runs the blog, wondering instead if a reader could track down a commenter. Basically, I'd like to post on a particular blog with DISQUS but would need to be certain about anonymity.

Thanks.

EDIT: let me clarify...I'm not secretly looking to find out how to do it myself, so you don't have to tell me how it would be done. Just want to protect myself. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Edit:

A casual blog reader just reading comments? No way without access to the logs, unless the IP-address shows up in the comments?

The owner with some assistance:
If they had to yes (ie a legal agency with access to logs from both ISP and the site in question it) it should be trivial to get at you(r friend).

Install something like xB Browser if you want to avoid basic tracking, although I guess someone like the NSA would be able to track you down anyhow. Since you are asking the question it doesn't sound like you are someone the NSA or the MI5 would be interested in anyways. xb Browser is a bit slow though, so be warned.

Posted through Opera (I am not worried).

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Did anyone else think this thread was actually going to involve something along the lines of 'here's some great blog comments that I've received/seen'? :slanted:

Leo

Edit:

A casual blog reader just reading comments? No way without access to the logs, unless the IP-address shows up in the comments?

The owner with some assistance:
If they had to yes (ie a legal agency with access to logs from both ISP and the site in question it) it should be trivial to get at you(r friend).

Install something like xB Browser if you want to avoid basic tracking, although I guess someone like the NSA would be able to track you down anyhow. Since you are asking the question it doesn't sound like you are someone the NSA or the MI5 would be interested in anyways. xb Browser is a bit slow though, so be warned.

Posted through Opera (I am not worried).

thanks, ness. makes me feel a little more comfortable. this isn't anything of national security, so no legal agencies will be needed!

vimothy

yurp
Yes. Lets do that anyway: What are the best blogs in terms of the comment sections? For starters, I like Hyperstition (dead), MESH, Abu Muqawama, Intel Dump (dead)... Drawing a blank on others, but that's probably because I've just got out of bed.