french house

shaolinsoul

Any opinions on the much maligned genre? I know its really cheezy now, but I remember it being huge in france/belgium and sounding quite fresh for commercial house around 97-98 with the big bouncy basslines space fx and crazily filtered disco samples. Particularly the early daft punk, stardust, cassius bangalter stuff who IMO singlehandedly built the genre. Along the mountain of rubbish from this time, theres still some nice groovy cuts to be heard.

padro1982

Bangalter did some great stuff, Trax On Da Rocks 1 & 2 were ace, this track especially:

Thomas Bangalter - What To Do

Most of it is quite shamelessly robbed, but it's good nonetheless!

elgato

I just dont know
some absolutely wicked stuff in there, i love the sound! some of the first house that i was into back when i was a yout

swears

preppy-kei
Micronauts have done some great tracks, great DJs too, Alan Braxe kills it, Motorbass are the daddies of the genre: Ettienne De Crecy in particular (check the Super Discount comps), Ivan Smagge, another wicked DJ... loads of stuff.

I don't really see it as "cheesy" those guys just have no qualms about making awesome, fun records.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I don't see it as cheesy either. In the annals of house, it still stands alongside first wave Chicago and early microhouse as one of the peaks of the genre for me. :)

I love Braxe and Falke, of course, Banglater, Cassius, Cosmos, Jess and Crabbe, DP, Stars on 33, Dj Falcon, and loads of stuff I couldn't even name.

It's maligned? Didn't know that..

One of my favorite areas of dance music, easily.

Huge fan of the For the Floorz Body Angels/Time Limited 12"..

shaolinsoul

Bangalter did some great stuff, Trax On Da Rocks 1 & 2 were ace, this track especially:

shameless is an understatement... I wonder how much chaka khan got for stardust - the music sounds better with you.

Jeezus that whole song is just a looped disco sample!

shaolinsoul

Haha bangalter on a 909, saw a live set of him somewhere on youtube when he was a kid looking quite fierce in a retro speedracer jacket!

on another tip this sounds like early dj sneak for example.

padro1982

Haha bangalter on a 909, saw a live set of him somewhere on youtube when he was a kid looking quite fierce in a retro speedracer jacket!

on another tip this sounds like early dj sneak for example.

yeah, it's just tough looped house, bit of a booty element to it as well, good club tools.

Can't really fault Daft Punk's first album as well, some killers on there, again though, you just need to get past the scandalous liberties taken with samples! They've even been known to actually buy the rights to the original song so there's no comeback on copyright!

'Teachers' was a tune:

Demon's Midnight Funk is a really beautiful album.

The right amount of funk, the right amount of cheese, wonderfully produced.

I'm also really fond of its really hazy, almost dub influenced atmosphere in parts.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Reckon there's some great, great moments and still keep track of bods like Alan Braxe and Fred Falke. Always liked this soft-cock cheesy shit heaps more than stuff like jungle, grime, dubstep...

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Roulé was amazing up until Together, then it all went a bit shit really. I wish Bangalter would make some harder records again, but it's never gonna happen.

There's some cracking Crydamoure records too, although they're a lot more filtery/disco style than Roulé's output.

I've got a good Daft Punk live set from Rex Club in 1997 if anyone wants it, it's an absolute cracker. Here's that video of Daft Punk someone was on about earlier (it is both of them, but the only one you can see is Bangalter because of the camera position): http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...91&ei=aD_uScXoEYXM-AaymeHGAw&q=daft+punk+even

Quite a melancholy watch though, it's sad how bollocks Daft Punk have become.

shaolinsoul

I don't see it as cheesy either. In the annals of house, it still stands alongside first wave Chicago and early microhouse as one of the peaks of the genre for me. :)

I love Braxe and Falke, of course, Banglater, Cassius, Cosmos, Jess and Crabbe, DP, Stars on 33, Dj Falcon, and loads of stuff I couldn't even name.

Yeah Its a shame, because they really are big here in LA, people even have daft punk t-shirts and bumper stickers. Though I wish they could use their high position te educate the youths, on their chicago house influences.

I love this track.
Ian Pooley - Chord Memory (Daft Punk Remix)

also does anyone know the deal with the Scott Grooves - mothership connection record Daft Punk were on? Wasnnt that Scott's track or did Daft Punk just send a ninja assasin squad to sneak in and steal his masters from his laptop?

Alfons

Way of the future
a gem from the 00's but one I thought is overlooked:

it's interesting to think about the connections of this kind of stuff to todays french ed banger / electro, you can definitely hear the same parisian sound but the all the disco vibes have been squeezed out and replace by more mechanical masculinity.